Maharajah Culinary style trivia and facts

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Radhikafoodtriv, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Radhikafoodtriv

Radhikafoodtriv Senior IL'ite

Hi Indusladies forum members, I searched over the internet and found some interesting Maharajah Culinary style trivia and facts which I would like to share with you. This thread is about how the Indian Maharajah preferred the food and what were the reasons. Happy Reading :)

Maharaja of Benaras Culinary Style
    The Maharajas of Banaras royal family could have made Ripley's Believe It or Not as by tradition they are required to lead austere lifestyles, and one of the unwritten laws in the Holy City is that nobody, but nobody must witness them while they are dining. The reason being that Banaras Maharajas are Bhumiar Brahmins who believe that eating and drinking are a man's most personal habits. Nobody should be privy to these habits. Not even other members of the royal family. So they have always eaten in purdah. Strictly by themselves.
    This tradition is still being carried on by His Highness Anant Narain Singh, the 10th Maharaja of Banaras, who has never been seen while eating or drinking.

Maharaja of Baroda Culinary Style
    Baroda’s Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III used to a cow with him on his trip to Europe. He wanted to ensure he got pure milk and ghee as he was very concerned about proper food preparation.

Maharaja of Mysore Culinary Style
    Kanteerava Narasaraja (Wodeyar) of Mysore (1638-59) enjoyed tasteful bites served by charming women.
    But the women had to possess certain qualities of beauty to serve the fastidious king.
    “Their faces had to shine like the full moon, bells tinkling around their waists and bangles jingling on their wrists as they served the food. The women were enchanting, with anklets ringing sweetly announcing their arrival.”

The Chefs of the Maharajah's Style
    The kitchens of royal India were nothing but lavish. According to Dharmender Kanwar, author of Royal Cuisines of India - "There was great competition between chefs, who tried to surprise the royalty by serving stuffed wild boars/peacock etc. The wealthy made a show of prosperity by serving these hunted animals.

Chefs liked to stun their guests in various ways, for example - Live birds flew out when a piece of the puri was broken (then made by the chefs of Sailana royal family). Chefs were often sent abroad for training.

Do you have any other awesome facts to share? I have many other such awesome facts to share which I will do in my next post.

4 people like this.

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Interesting reading. Look forward to more.

1 person likes this.
  3. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Seems like Maharaja of Mysore was a chichora...

3 people like this.
  4. Radhikafoodtriv

I would agree with you indoc.

5. Radhikafoodtriv

Thank you radv.

I was hoping to get some more replies that would tell me about Maharaja Culinary Style and facts..

6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

That's a really wonderful article. Very true...Maharajah style of cooking was so unique when we hear of it. even today in most royal families they follow the same styles. Of course, modest changes have been brought in because of the current lifestyle and health issues.
    No doubt, the cuisine is so rich and tasty even if it were the humble daal and roti.

7. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the facts !

8. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Very nice and informative ... hope badam and few other herbs came to india along with mughal emperor, till now Mughalai cuisine is prised for its richness and unique tastes

9. ramyasuresh

ramyasuresh Silver IL'ite

10. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

Very interesting info.. looking for more..