Mahalaya

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by shaliniku, Sep 22, 2009.

1. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Though a grown up now still today I feel a tug at my heart when I see the pandals being erected all over the city. They also remind me of tender childhood memories.

Our pujo preparation would start months before the actual pujo. But with Mahalaya we would really start enjoying the festive season. I still remember my mother setting up the alarm clock so that we do not miss the “Mahisasura Mardini” on radio. Since my childhood Mahalaya is synonymous with the lovely audio montage of recitations from “Chandi Kavya”, classical music, devotional music and holy shlokas. We used to get up in the dawn and sit before the radio to listen to the recitations by Birendrakrishna Bhadra in his inimitable style. The serene autumn mornings would reverberate with the sounds of conch shells, and sacred recitations. Still today we Bengalis are mesmerized by this legendary narrator. I am thankful to him to add a special meaning to all my Durga puja celebrations.

2. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Every one loves Bhadraji's performance. When he gets emotional reciting a sholka, we get a lump in our throat too. I am a big fan. In fact, I remember buying his audio cassette with the money I got from my first tuition. Today, I believe his CDs are also available.
    Nowadays Both ETV and Zee Bangla have special shows on Mahalaya.
    Thanks for bringing alive the memory.

3. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

Rama and 100 Lotuses

Rama, along with Hanumana and his monkey army started for Lanka to rescue his wife Sita, who was kidnapped by demon king Ravana.
    Before commencing the war against Ravana, Rama sought the blessings of Ma Durga. He performed this puja during autumn due to which it later on became popular as Akalbodhon (untimely invocation). He learnt that the goddess would be pleased if he offers her 100 neelkamals or blue lotuses. Rama could gather only 99 lotuses.

To satisfy the goddess he decided to offer his eye which resembled a blue lotus. Pleased with devotion Devi Durga appeared before him and blessed him. The battle started on Saptami and at Sandhikkhon (juncture between Ashtami and Nabami) Ravana was finally killed.

4. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Bishorjon

This year’s Durga puja was special for me as after many years I got a chance to spend it in Kolkata. On Dashami, I felt very sad as I reached the para pandal in the afternoon to offer our last worship to Devi Durga.

The priest was performing Darpan Bishorjon then. After the “ghot pujo” he finally worshipped Devi and pleaded her to forgive him if he had committed any mistake. He then tore the thread that was tied around the ghot and Devi and bishorjon was completed. We, all married women lined up then to offer our last prayers. As I did “Boron” by offering her sweets, betel leaves and sindur I prayed for my family’s well being. We played sindur khela after that.

The truck was already ready which took off the idols to Ganga for immersion. Amidst sounds of dhak, conch shells and “ulu dhoni” all of us wished her a safe journey and pleaded her to come back next year.

5. sriparnaguha

sriparnaguha New IL'ite

Hello Freinds,

nice to see you all posting about 'Mahalaya'. in my childhood 'Mahalaya' meant the beginning of the pujo, it also meant no studies till the end of the pujo. lol!!! i remember my grandfather turning radio sharp at 4 am to listen to Mahalaya. though most of the time i could not stay awake for long. but i always managed to watch the mahalaya programs on DD 7, with the rest of the family.
    it was a lovely feeling...i miss those days so much.

by the way, i am happy for Shalini, as u got to spend durga pujo in kolkata. dunno when i will be spending durga pujo in kolkata. hmmm...

love you all...

do post more...

Sriparna

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  6. aditimajumder

aditimajumder New IL'ite

Hello Girls,

Impressive post!!! This year I have managed to hear mahalaya on raido, thanks to my mother of course. Earlier I used to watch the TV programs as well, but over the last few years, I don’t as I don’t like the programs anymore. It is better to listen to it on radio and every year I listen to Mr. Badra reciting the ‘sloks’, I get goose bumps. That man has an amazing voice, he has poured out all his emotions.
    Thanks to the different radio stations, you can hear ‘Mahalaya’ to any of those.

Take care,

Aditi