1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Magic!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Dec 26, 2022.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Ok, I am here again after a long time, yes!

I just went for a "routine" medical test early this year and found that my sugar levels were in high spirits [ii] my HbA1C just crossed 10 and then I had a few other supplementary signs to indicate that I was already at a slight risk. The doctor looked at me with what could be termed as pity for a few seconds and took a resolve to prescribe what I should be doing. "Increased your dose of medicines! You need to bring your sugar levels down first! Eat less, walk after every god damn meal for at least 15 minutes and see me after a month!", he said.

My wife asked him, if he could suggest what I can have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He asked me how many idlis I had for breakfast. I proudly replied "5! If its dosas, then 3!" He was not happy. "Take utmost 3 idlis or 2 dosas for breakfast! That would be enough!" he said. I tried telling him that I could place 2 of them diagonally on my palm! They are that small. He didn't listen. I came out of the consulting room, feeling a bit relieved that he did not ask what I had for lunch or dinner. But he kind of pushed me on to something that I cannot describe. I started feeling restless and decided to do the easier thing - Stand before the mirror and start thinking. "Ok, let me give a try!", I thought. And then it all started.

First thing - I controlled the urge to buy anything new for my exercise. I started with my sandals and installed a decent pedometer app in my mobile. I checked the app first by waving my phone, shaking it violently and even jogged. Like an old fashioned principal, it reluctantly granted me the wish I sought and increased the step count, but not even in the scale of 10s. I walked with it leisurely and tried to pace up a bit. The count was gradual and I felt happy. My son was looking at me, puzzled. "Are you trying to run?", he asked, deflating me further saying, "Have never seen you do that before!". I told him that I was much fitter earlier and played a lot of cricket and did the drills too! "Ha ha!", he said and left. I crossed 6000 steps that day.

Later I explored the app and set the configuration right. You guessed it right - For my height, the default step length was set at 70 cm, which as at least 15 cm more. That means, the distance that I walked as per the app, was wrong. I found out that I was almost touching "Obese" in the BMI scale. This was a revelation to me - "Wow! Am I so bulky or what?" I then made 2 promises to myself - I would never tweak the app / edit the steps and I would cover at least 6 km a day! It did turn out to be easy for the first few days until I started feeling a stiffness in my calf muscles and in fact the whole part below my elbow was stiff, sending small doses of pain, punishing me for being lazy all along. It led me to see an Orthopedist who prescribed a good footwear and ankle length socks, after giving pain killers and advising rest for a few days. My resolve grew more and I said to myself that from that day onwards, I would walk for 5 miles at least. My son joining the 6 AM fitness class for his cricket coaching was a boon to me. I woke up early, helped him to get ready for his class [the venue was within 10 minutes walking distance], and continued walking, after leaving him at the ground.

I did walk for about 50 minutes in the morning and felt that more and more easier. Working from home helped me more as I could split my entire routine the way I wanted. And after signing off from work, I walked more, circling the place where I live, as fast as I could. I even tried running, but was winded very soon and in fact could not even cover 150 metres at a stretch. So I walked faster and continued to beat my daily goal. Very soon, I set the goal to 9 km and then to 10 km every single day. I did get some comments too - My wife told me that one of her friends saw me and asked her why I was literally running all the time like I was in a hurry. And there were times when both my wife and son complained that I have not been spending enough time at home with them. It all fell on deaf ears, as I continued my routine. Thankfully, with no major illness for any, I am able to do this 10 km a day for many months now.

It did give me some pleasant surprises too! - I lost about 9 kg of weight and my BMI is much better today [still overweight though, but fine enough!]. Secondly, all my pants were loose and I had to use the belt all the time. And of course the compliments from others that I looked much fitter and better. In fact a rare acquaintance once met me in my morning walk and commented that I should have done this ten years ago! I did not try to infer what he meant by the way, but did enjoy watching the jealousy in his eyes. And needless to say, my next medical test results were extraordinary. Everything was under control and all other supplementary ailments [including the bloating and gastric issues] vanished. My tablet dosage was cut by more than half now. All along, I never reduced my food intake. This felt so good!

Finally, I tried the impossible - trying the pants my wife presented me just after our engagement many years back. I could not make the ends meet even then! Never did I try it after that embarrassing moment. My wife even chides me today for not talking to her at all before marriage. Praying all Gods, I tried and found that I could make the ends meet, still, it was tight. I went before my wife and told her about this. She was very happy. Now I realize how much my family had supported me in this. They did not stop me from my routine and in fact accommodated in the best way they could! Many who asked me how I did this, don't believe what I say and conclude that I am dieting / taking green tea / having some pill / using other surgical ways. What works for me, may not work for others!

But I am happy to continue this routine as long as I can!

Laks09, joylokhi, nayidulhan and 7 others like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @rgsrinivasan,

Nice to see you back here with a snippet and a pair of pants fitting you well that were so lovingly given by your wife! I am impressed that you even have them! Nice to read your weight loss and in the process, the numbers on your A1C1 coming down. It is very motivating for many! Needless to say that it is impressive that you have begun to walk that much distance - once exercising becomes a routine, our body automatically craves for it! Just keep walking and stay healthy!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

So nice to see your snippet after a long gap. I am so happy for you doing well in terms of health. It is remarkable how determined you are in getting back your fitness. Isn't it amazing when we work out and watch our diet, so many things fall in place? All our blood work becomes normal right away. I am so happy to know that your family is solidly behind you in your effort.

I am following a diet program suggested by my nutritionist for the past 4-5 months meticulously with exercises built into it. Unfortunately, I had to go for a surgery in December and hence my exercise plan has to be put on hold but I am continuing with the diet plan. 105 grams of Carb, 90 grams of Protein, 79 grams of Fat with plenty of fiber. I learned to measure my food in a scale and my rice intake has considerable come down to 10% to 20% of what I used to take before this plan.

Good luck with your effort.

rgsrinivasan and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Glad to note the fine conclusion and your determination to continue the regimen. Delighted with your narration of harrowing moments and the efforts required to follow the routine in which thankfully your kith helpful.
    A friend of mine is in the habit of daily taking at a particular hour on empty stomach bitter gourd + cucumber + one ripe tomato juice and reports vast improvement and blood/sugar parameters are steady within the acceptable range.
    Vigorous Walking in “8 “ pattern, spot running, ascending descending stairs, pedalling lying on back at a dedicated hour on daily basis seemed to help manage.

Happy 2023. Regards.

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  5. rgsrinivasan

Thank you @Srama, for your words of appreciation and kind feedback. I had this hope earlier that I would be able to wear those pants someday, so kept them safe. Besides, this habit of walking also refreshes me in the mornings and leave me exhausted to even try a snack which helps me more :) I still need to balance my activities better, which will be one of my goals this year. -rgs

6. rgsrinivasan

Thanks a lot @Viswamitra. for your wish, appreciation and feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had to undergo a surgery. Hope you are fine now and wish you the best of health!
    I am definitely awed to read about your diet plan and the way you meticulously follow that. Inspires me to do more! Reducing rice intake - I need to start doing this sooner! -rgs

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. rgsrinivasan

Thank you @Thyagarajan for your kind feedback and for sharing more tips from your side. I did not just walk for controlling my blood sugar alone. I wanted to test myself on whether I could start a routine and follow that for a considerable amount of time. There have been so many "start .. stop" attempts at least on this front, so it was more of a challenge to me. I am definitely more motivated to see so many people walking and jogging and get more pleasure walking, with odd vehicles passing by. I intend to do something more on other aspects. Will try that too, this year. -rgs

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

While wishing you Godspeed in your endeavour, I wish to add about consumption of raw or boiled rice. One pyramid of Glycaemic less quinoa and millet varieties replace my three pyramids of regular raw or boiled rice. Millets fit the bill perfectly as they have low glycemic index and high-nutritious value. They seemed to release glucose more slowly into blood stream. Consuming millet Alternating with fox tail திணை அல்லது குதிரைவாலி added to regular rice too helps reduce quantity consumed and ence reduce hunger. UT flooded with this info.
    Regards .

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  9. rgsrinivasan

Thank you @Thyagarajan sir, for your kind suggestions. I take rice only once a day - for lunch, but I eat at least a 2 course meal - meaning more rice. I tried millets et al, for breakfast / dinner and yes, they were ok [so used to rice, idlis, dosas]. But I will consider what you are advising me :) -rgs

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

I must add here of my practice:
    Fenugreek soaked over night and next morning water drained out and left in container with a lid covered by another broad container. Late evening sprouted fenugreek available . This taken on empty stomach or just before main meal. This home preparation is good for controlling blood sugar and may also contribute for natural increased secretion or production of insulin by the body.

rgsrinivasan likes this.