Madurai Members - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Madurai' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. rathipreeta

rathipreeta New IL'ite

Hii all!,

:).. I am Rathi.. n joined indusladies.. just 2day.. gr8 to see so many maduraikaranga here!! I was born n brought up in madurai.. did my schooling in chetana matric.

did my UG n PG in chennai..

madurai holds a lot of memories for me.. n can we add the bhai ice cream(jil jil jigarthanda :tongue), shank wala- tat kutti eat out in town.. namma theppa kulam, Azhagar kovil also as important pieces completing madurai?

I got married recently and am in singapore now..

nice meetin u all again!!
    cheers rathi.

2. sssk

sssk New IL'ite

Hi all,

Iam shanthi from Dubai, and madurai is my native town. Glad to see a sub-forum for Madurai. Iam a fun loving person who values friendship a lot. Iam a working mother, my husband is a civil engineer and we live in Dubai. I love our Indian culture & tradition and Iam proud to be an indian and Iam sure we all. Though we may spread to different parts of the world, It's always great to stay in touch with our roots. And I think indusladies contributes a lot to this:2thumbsup: .

So, let's stay in touch.

Thanks
    Shanthi:wave

3. sssk

sssk New IL'ite

Hi Rathi preetha,

Glad to see that you still hold madurai memories. Me too. It's impossible to forget our childhood. I was also born & brought up in Madurai. Recently I visited madurai and it's changing a lot. I mean lot of developments, there is a highway (4-6 tracks) coming up. It's amazing to see the number of cars in Madurai roads nowadays. Lot of them. We have some great Temples like Meenakshi amman, Alagar Kovil, Thirumugoor Kovil and a lot...

come on girls! write and share more about madurai

thanks
    Shanthi

4. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Hello Madurai Friends,
    A big HI to all here....................:wave

Let me also join hands with you in proudly telling that am a maduraikkari. Am Shantha KasiArunachalam born and brought up in Madurai.I did my Schooling after that B.Com and M.B.A in Madurai and worked in a private concern there for two years and after my marriage got shifted to chennai and now to US two months back.

After reading all your posts i was in my hometown in dreams.As Mathangi told am also a devotee of Annai Meenakshi.I see Meenakshi not as a Goddess but as my good friend to share anything with.I argue,fight,play,share my feelings with her.She is deeprooted in my heart.The feeling when i enter Meenakshi temple cannot be expressed in words.That too the Chithirai fesival,thirukalyanam,poompallakku are all my heart favourites.for seeing this festival people come from in and around villages in tractors.They are the one who really enjoy this festival.They dress up in kallar vesham which is nice to see.

madurai mallikai poo.......ihmmmmmm:icon_frown: i miss it a lot.
    Thoonga nagaram...........roadside idli shop.....one has to taste atleast once in lifetime................

Its nice to meet u all.
    Lets keep in touch...............
    Shantha KasiArunachalam

5. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Hi Rathipreetha, SSSk and Kasisheela,
    Nice to see you all inthe Madurai forum!:) .Unlike you all, I was born and brought up in Chennai and settled in Mdu. after getting married.
    :yes:Rathi preetha, Mdu. is in the grip of change - for good and worse. Good because we are getting better roads, better shopping and better eat outs- more sophisticated hotels and changes in lifestyle too. One could see the number of ladies working, is increasing, and formation of self help groups is also on the increase. There are so many north indian groups who love Mdu. as their own city and have identified themselves as Maduraites.:-D But still Mdu. has its own charm as the friendly and cultured city of Tamilnadu. We have our own special thiruvizhas in our magnificient temples, Our special little restaurants who arefamous for the tasty food they serve, the original Nagapattinam mittai kadai whose pakoda melts in one's mouth and their karasev is truely "karam"!!!
    The society is becoming more materialistic. You can now witness gala , grand weddings with folk dance going on in one floor ;kacheri in another and entertainment like modern dance, comedy shows and magic shows and what nots.?! These are all recent developments only.
    What Madu. is lacking is recreational fcilities. For the second largest city in Tamilnadu , it can boast of only 2,3 parks with rides etc . You can see the Rajajji Park jampacked during the week ends and holidays. We do have a spacious park near the Vandiyoor lake but alas ,it is in shambles 0 the beautiful trees, shrubs and flowering plants have all gone dry and the park is a mess, Once we used to have boating, play area for children and evev a small restaurant! The corp. has announced big plans for beatuifying this park, but will it become a reality, I wonder!! It could take years I guess.
    I shall talk about some interesting historical sites and monuments in my next if you all want.
    Regards,:wave
    savideva

6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear SaviDeva

That was a nice write up abt our dear Mdu. Please do continue writing about it.

Yes the city is changing and everytime I visit the difference is vast and I forgot many of the places and not able to recognise some particular places due to various developments and facelifts.
    How is the real estate in madurai? What I see from the internet the prices are sky rocketting like Chennai.

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

7. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Dear Vijee,
    Thank you for the feed back. How right you are; it is really hard to reconize places. I remember, many years ago, when we visited a friend living in KK Nagar, I was amazed his house was situated in the midst of fields and no other houses in sight!? Years later now, where did all those green fields disappear and the beautiful lake dwindling in size year by year; it is so sad. The 80 feet main road of KK Nagar is now filled with shops and hospitals; and there isn't a vacant site anymore. One good thing is the shopping is improving - what with departmental stores like Spencers Daily ; Nila and so many eating places and what not! Milan is coming up with a Mall that too a multiplex. We do have a water theme park, of course a little far off in the Dindigul High Way and the Akash family club on the same road - a beautiful getaway for the weekends.
    Yes you are right the land prices are going in only one direction ie UP ! You can expect to see more apartment complexes and more vehicles on the road within the next few years with the development of the IT Parks. One solace is we are going to have improved roads - four way lanes ,ring roads and flyovers. God alone knows when all this will get completed?
    Regards
    :wave
    Savideva

8. devisenthil

devisenthil New IL'ite

Hi

I am 33 with two wonderful boys of 9, 4. My husband is also a pukka Maduraite, but has been away from it now more than he lived in there. I studied in VMJ, St Joseph's convent, Thiagarajar College of Engineering.

We realize how much we miss our hometown, only when we are away. I miss good old Madurai only after i got married and got out of it. We were in the USA for a good 10years and now we are in Bangalore. I like all the cities i've ever lived in but cant beat the age old charm of the Temple city! Here are a few before and after feelings i have about my hometown.

I used to hate the fact i had to walk everywhere in Madurai before. It beats sitting in the traffic jam inhaling polluted air.

Before, i used to think travelling from the Meenakshi Amman Koil to KK nagar was a long ride. I now know that i can travel from Madurai to Virudhunagar before i can reach anywhere in Bangalore!

Seeing a Dr, relative is much easier in Madurai unlike in Bangalore where you have to dedicate a day for such activities...

Shopping-the greatest pleasure -can be done all in one road (or close by) unlike anywhere else!

And where on earth will you get those lovely kothu parottas and jill jill jigardhanda? and those pink mitais during the Chithirai festival!

Bye for now,
    SD

9. sumisen

sumisen Senior IL'ite

Hi SSSk (Shanti)

My Native place is Madurai but born and brought up in Kumbakonam near tanjore but my Husband is from Madurai. Still Inlaws are living in Madurai. My Grand parents were living in Madurai in Mela masi veedi. I know verylittle about Madurai except Meenakshi Temple.

I am living in Abudhabi. I saw your post, fitness thread. I am also trying to reduce weight and I found you are also from Madurai. Thought we can share our views regarding Madurai as well as Keeping fit. I think I can learn more about Madurai from you. We visit Madurai every year during our annual vacations.

Waiting to see your Reply
    Bye:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

10. VASUPAD

VASUPAD New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am Sadhana. i was born and broghtup from Madurai . I studied in Capron Hall and my colleage was the famous Lady Doak colleage (LDC). After my marriage I moved to Cochin and lived there almost 10 years. I loved the people and city very much. Then I was moved to Thane Bombay. I was there in 4 years. From there I came to Seattle USA. Now I am in Redmond Seattle. Seattle is very good city to live. Here Lots of Indians living here. Thanks to Microsoft and Boeing. Always I am missing my home town Madurai. If any body wants to chat with me please email. we can talk and chat.
    Sadhana Padmanabhan