1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Madrasapattinam movie

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by tuffyshri, Aug 3, 2010.

1. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

Disclaimer - I generally do not write review about movies. But this film left me to wander with it for two days and then I decided to chart down something about it. No big partiallity or any favourism, these are just my own thoughts

After a long time I had been to a movie and surprisingly turned out to be good. Not the usual commercial masala, no stunning fights, no styling actions, no vadivelu-vivek comedy kodumais, no punch dialogs, no dappankoothu or item song, and there are couple more nos. I love romance, and dramas too and this one had both. Take few concepts from Titanic, few from Lagaan, thin line romance story, mix together and tadaa.. madrasapattinam! But I appreciate the thought process of that X person to come up with this movie.

I felt like, while Dasavatharam was focusing on to show a goodness (the destroyal of the bad virus) behind a sad fate (Indian Tsunami), this one was the the other way around. It showed a sadness of two people to separate while the whole India was celebrating the Independence.

For once they have chosen a different category of people shown. Not the usual farmers and agriculturalist but the different set of dhobis who had settled down through the river. Who is the opposite of the former group by not welcoming the rain :)

Wow, Madras looks awesome in the 40s. I wish we never spoilt the Coovam river and still have the boatings. Surpised to see in the internet that there were communications in the Buckingham Canal till 1985.
    The picturisation of then Madras with Trams and all is beautiful. I was surprised that it all felt very nostalgic, while I didnt even born then. May be my earlier birth?? ;-)

I was once again surprised to see myself drooling at Arya. No that boy needs to improve something or somewhere. He is not *that* catchy like the Karthy or Surya fellaws. I have always felt that there is something missing in him. But in this movie, he is cute indeed. Why at all is he wearing an Amir-khan-in-lagaan kind of costume?

The supporting actors are chosen aptly. GV Prakash has done a good job in the BG music while the other songs are having ARR's shadows.

Well, as I travelled next day near by the Central station and Buckingham canal, I was reminded of the movie only. I think that is the victory of this movie!

2. suria

suria Silver IL'ite

same pinch tuffyshri..:) even i felt the same after watching the movie..:) lovely review..the way you have escribed the movie..!!:)

3. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Shri,

I too liked the movie.This has yet another special significance as this is the first film that we have seen together :) (though my SIL's family joined with us)
    I enjoyed the film very much

4. PreethiArun66

PreethiArun66 Senior IL'ite

Hi Tuffyshri,
    Even I am not interested in watching the usual kind of commercial movies.
    Recently I took an oath that am not going to watch tamil movies unless they are different. Good to read that 'Madrasapatinam' is going to be of my taste.
    Having read your review, I shall sure watch the movie if I get a chance!

Cheers