1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Madhu Malathi

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Arunadhri, May 27, 2010.

1. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Madhu Malati, Rangoon Malli or Quisqualis Indica.
    A rose by any name as Shakespeare said.
    This captivating creeper is easy to grow and flowers the year round in India and parts of the US. The flowers are white to start with, progressively becoming pink and finally a red and maroon. Quite often grown for the foliage the flowers often completely cover the plant.

I consider it a pest as it can take over the garden if one does not watch out.

It has a haunting perfume in the evening and night hours that is mild but refuses to be ignored.

Here it is growing over the entrance to my house. The visitor has to bow down to enter as the flowers hang low.
    Arunadhri

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2010

2. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear arunadhri

fantastic. I didnt expect the beautiful description of this flower. We call this Mothirapoo. Ya I too noticed in many places in kerala. I liked the mild perfume of this flower. The photos are superb and it is good that who ever is coming to your house are first greeted by such a lovely flowers. Your sit out will be well protected from the sun light I think. it is a new idea to give the description and photos of a flower from you rown garden. thank you friend.

ganges

3. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Nice flowers Arunadhri.
    Seeing these flowers I went to my childhood days, when we were in staying quarters, we had it near the gate with lot of such flowers. We call Malati Madhav, which gives out nice frangrance.. Not this pink ones, but we had white variety too.
    Anyway thanks a lot for taking me to my childhood days.