MaaVilakku

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Sriniketan, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I am posting pictures of my 'Maavilakku' session at our house on this Sat.
    We are surprised and blessed to see Lord Venkateswara in the form of jyothi, which you can experience as well.
    This is our pooja room--which was once the 'living room' - as a matter of fact, nobody used that room- but God has made plans to 'live in that room'
    for which we are happy.
    the rose flowers on the pictures of God is from our garden which blossemed during the month of May and June.

sriniketan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    sindmani, honeydaisy and navs23 like this.

2. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Sri,
    Thanks for sharing the MaaVilakku and your pooja room pictures with us. It's a great feeling to see Lord Venkateshwarar in the form of jyothi. My MIL back home had already performed Maavilakku, so I did not do it here. But I have kept Golu.

regards,
    Sindhu

3. Sriniketan

Hi Sindu, please do share some Golu pictures. waiting to see it.

sriniketan

4. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

I will post the pix in a day or two, after I charge the batteries of my camera.

Sindhu

5. Sriniketan

Thanks Sindhu for your reply.
    Waiting.....
    sriniketan

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi
    very nice photos. thanks for sharing. i have never done thius before. i have kept golu and my son helped completely.

7. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Very nice pictures of 'maavilakku" - I feel so inadequate next to all you ladies - keeping golu, and doing the "maalvilakku" poojai etc. Thanks for posting the pictures - I do see what you mean Sriniketan - of Lord Venkateshwara - it is quite amazing!

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

That is so nice to see yr pictures, Sriniketan.

In my house, my MIL's custom is to put maavilaku on Vijayadasami which is an another auspicious day for our deity, Lord Balaji.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

9. Sriniketan

Waiting for your Golu pictures too, AC!

Isn't it not amazing, Shoba, we were so excited that day we were talking about it all day. I am going to e-mail it to my parents for them to 'see' also. Don't feel left out, I had just started to do this only from the last year. You can do it according to your family's customs. Better late than never!

It is true Ami, everybody has some fixed day to do Maavilakku. On my mother's side they do it on the 'natchathiram' of Lord Balaji. From my in-laws side, I don't even know they have the custom of doing it but to the welfare of the family, i had started doing it according to my own convenience, yet to follow a fixed day.

Sriniketan

10. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi:-o

I had also posted to find out abt MaaVilakku but made it like how my in laws normally do.Krishnaamma sent me the recipe but we did the prayer on Saturday before I could get the recipe. I think in South Africa we adapted the MaaVilakku cos we make it a bit moist - rice flour, butter and honey. We usually prepare MaaVilaku during Purtassi. Here's a foto of our Purtasi prayers and all the tasty curries and vadas etc. I told my sister in law I will take a photo so that we can always refer to it cos every year she has to remind us what to place in the trays.

Attached Files: