M.s Computer Science ...job Prospects

Discussion in 'IL'ite Wishes' started by somam16, Apr 11, 2017.

1. somam16

somam16 New IL'ite

Hello,
    I have completed Masters in Physics and have experience in teaching for almost 7 years from India. I live in US and now want to change my career from academics towards industry jobs. I have seen that most of the jobs related to Physics background requires programming knowledge and also other skills in computers.
    Can someone advice about prospects of pursuing M.S in computer science? Also is there any recognition given during job search if I learn programming like C++ online?
    I am almost 40 years of age and have a kid 9 yrs old. I am confused if pursuing an educational degree for two years in US is worthy enough to improve my job prospect. Please advice.

Thanks.

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

There are many highly qualified, successful women here in IT and CS, who may be able to help you with advice and career pointers, but posting your question here is sub-optimal. You will get better responses if you post it in the Education & Personal Growth Forum.

For a start, you need to decide whether you want to specifically pursue a career in physics or a physics-related field, or, are you trying to figure out what you can do with an MSc in physics and good teaching experience after being out of the workforce for a while. In other words, are you trying to get back into physics or are you trying to find gainful employment anywhere, given your educational background and work history? Responses to your query will vary based on your answer to this question.

More later if you respond to this.

3. somam16

somam16 New IL'ite

Thank you so much for your response. I am looking for jobs related to Physics but I can see in most of the jobs they ask for knowledge in programming and other skills related to computer. Also I have seen for jobs related to Physics they are asking for either a Physics degree or computer science. I have been desperately looking for jobs in US but couldn't find something exclusively for Physics except teaching. Please advice.
    Thanks again.