1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i am still on a bland diet @kkrish.

@suryakala mam thank you. will send a pm soon.

thanks everyone for the appreciations.

i wanted to show my dd the way it is done. not sure how much she learnt and retained.

suryakala and Gauri03 like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

IMG_4974.JPG

radhish and moong dal, chayote sabji, a few pieces of potatoes steamed and sautee for kids, and amaranth seeds..

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

me and my bland diets continue and with dd eating one pot meals mine look like baby food seriously. the stomach protests at the spicy food while the taste buds want them..

IMG_5111.JPG
    IMG_5109.JPG

buck wheat, moong dal, some greens, porridge and a probiotic rich salad.
    (cucumbers, olives, soaked amla and ginger)

happy krishnashtami to who are celebrating.

Gauri03, satchitananda, Naari and 2 others like this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Here's my preparation, cooking, and railway thali lunch.

Over the weekend, fetched veggies (esp. leafy veggies) from an Indian market. Plucked, washed, cleaned, pat dried all kinds of leafy veggies (used: amaranth, coriander, curry leaves) and stored the remaining in fridge. While peeling the plantain, I felt very bad for the skin. Then I looked up recipes with green banana skin. I found one Bangladeshi recipe. If the Bangladeshis are cooking and eating the skin, then so can I. Sadly, I boiled and pulsed the skin too mushy. My mom used to say, if the dish is turning out bad, add boiled potatoes to it and if the dish seems very bad, then add grated coconut to it. Her timely advice saved my day. I discarded that Bangaleshi recipe partway and went Indian pacchadi. I mixed coconut, tamarind, green chillies to that mush and sautéed in olive oil for 20 minutes and finally tempered with garlic and red chillies to bring it to a semblance of something edible (fact: it turned out tasty to my surprise). Next, cooked the plantain fruit in yogurt and other masalas. Finally, amaranth daal. A truly green and clean day with no wastage.

upload_2017-8-23_11-36-6.png

upload_2017-8-23_11-36-52.png

upload_2017-8-23_11-38-6.png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    ChandrikaV, Nonya, Buds and 3 others like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Yum. @Iravati you meandered to Bangladesh?? Our neighbors have a nice simple sabji with peels. Even @satchitananda has shared here. Thoran. I make the same chutney with roasted urad, chillies, tamarind and coconut.

I love the bowl..as long as it is not spicy send it to me..

ChandrikaV likes this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I didn't find many recipes with plantain peels. I figured eating the peels is considered taboo or gives indigestion or is discouraged in general. Either way, I ventured to try something different just because the peels looked tender and green.

Nah! Not at all spicy. Slightly tangy may be. This bowl has become my signatory bowl now. I stash it in a corner of my kitchen and take it out only for my railway thali spread. I just checked the past posts. You take care of your health and hope to see you bouncy soon.

ChandrikaV and Shanvy like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

plantain peel has loads of benefits.. something interesting i read when i was reading on peels. plantain peel flour..Plantain peel - a potential source of antioxidant dietary fibre for developing functional cookies

i need to comvince my kids. already dd says my mom is too naughty you think it is regular tomato chutney and she would have sneaked watermelon rind lol. i sneak neem flowers in coconut patchadi..

i have used all parts of the banana plant. even have a saree from the fibre.:blush:

ChandrikaV, Gauri03 and satchitananda like this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hey, lovely to see all of you here. Was missing everybody, so did not come for a while!

@Shanvy, lovely pics. So what if it is bland? It is still colourful and yum. Am sure all of us could use those recipes when we have tums which are not happy with us.

@Iravati, kya baat hai! Such wonderful pics!

Keep posting please. We'll all come back with our plates, though mine are pretty repetitive (revision classes) :p

SunPa, ChandrikaV and Shanvy like this.
  9. satchitananda

So here goes once again. My breakfast:

Kuthiravalli dosai with cheese and groundnut chutney.

Breakfast - 24 Aug 2017 - IL.jpg

ChandrikaV, Gauri03, Buds and 2 others like this.
  10. satchitananda

Lunch:

Lunch - 24 Aug 2017.jpg
    Dal, vazhakai vegetable, varagu rice with nellikai pachadi