1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yesterday my lunch was dal fry, brown rice and tindora fry.

today radish sambhar, greens masiyal, a little oats, bittergourd stir fried, and that is mango with a twist.

IMG_20150505_125918.jpg
    You have these amazing totapuri/mooku mangoes gifted to you by a neighbour. and you know you can eat them for lunch dinner and breakfast too..but wait, with the kind of heat that we are going through in our place, it is asking for more trouble and tummy upset..so i thought i will make thokku..but then it would mean i cannot enjoy them much. so just started shaving/slicing of mango into a bowl and as i did it, i thought why not just keep it this way..and enjoy it..actually thought of drying to to be used for later..maybe next time..

so here it sliced mangoes, with slices of chillies for that bite of heat, a pinch of sugar and a tsp of salt..mixed. the sweet, sour and slight hit of heat..heaven..try it..and did i mention that between my son and me, we are on our way to empty the bottle...and a few drops of that residue liquid..and missing my dd., who loves these type of pickles...
    IMG_20150505_125943.jpg

14 people like this.
  2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Mooku mango slices sounds like a poem and looks like a treat, Shanvy!!

Vacationing at Chennai so understand the heat ;-)

Congrats on your thread reaching 400 pages !!!

2 people like this.
  3. shodin

shodin Platinum IL'ite

Hi all...

Yes @Shanvy here summer started....Chicken pox also there...But 2 years back my kids already got infected...so this years no need to worry about this....Nice plates especially mango....drooling.....My lunch as of 04-05-2015

lunch 04-05-2015.jpg

8 people like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Had a feast of sorts today. Trying to get back to healthy eating. My food habits have taken a beating in between.

This was my dinner. Lunch was the same plus a bit of white rice.

Dinner - 05 May 2015.jpg
    Baingan in groundnut gravy, dal with drumstick leaves, mixed chundal, beans 1 carrot paratha and jackfruit pickle

10 people like this.
  5. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Shanvy, karaal is niger seeds in English. Just googled it. Hindi means powder. I don't do any stuffing, too lazy for that, just sprinkle a teaspoon of this powder on the curry. It tastes yummy.

Here is the link on wiki:
    Guizotia abyssinica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a feeling you already use this in your cooking.

@satchitananda, I am trying hard to connect jackfruit pickle, molagootal and Belgaum. Please help me :)

3 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@hrastro thank you. i did not notice it today..was in a hurry to post and get out..it is not my thread..it is all our thread. without the interest and the encouragement, the question, the thoughts and the participation, 4000 almost their posts and 400 pages.. let us all say cheers to healthy eating and our enthusiasm to adapt to better eating..

@shodin i want to have some blue berry yoghurt..the moment i saw that almarai on the cheese cap..good that you have one worry less. take care and keep hydrated..

@satchitananda that thali has come and take a piece signal all over it.. lovely spread.. i made bulghur wheat adai for dinner.

@butterflyice i have seen and used this long long back..as valasulu..have to find the exact tamil name..

could it be palghat iyer,jackfruit pickle, molagootal and belgaum. belgaum is known for jackfruits i think..

versatility in the diversity..so many styles of cooking and so much to learn..

P.S. this mango is to be given as snack, and not to be expected to eaten as a accompanying condiment-- ds has been announcing this to me whenever he picked up some pieces from the fridge..:rotfl

4 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

butterflyice, that is not molagootal. Just ordinary dal with drumstick leaves added to it for a change. As for the pickle, I was told that they made pickle of raw jackfruit when I visited Kerala last year. I hunted high and low for the stuff but did not find it. The other day I went to get some stuff for my plants from a lady here in Bangalore. She was selling home made pickles too. To my delight I found this pickle. This, she told me is made of the bracts of the jackfruit - the fibrous stuff you find inside when you peel the stuff.

As for Belgaum, my only connection with the place is I attended my cousin's wedding there about 3 decades ago and my school friend lives there now.

2 people like this.
  8. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

@Shanvy I need suggestions from you urgently. Other friends also pitch in.

So this past weekend, I prepared lots of different batter ( regular idli dosa, full uradhaal, jowar and raagi), I properly fermented enough some of them and kept in fridge, but this one small bowl (enough to make one day BF for us) I forgot to refrigerate, so it was in my counter for around 30Hrs and you all know raagi batter ferments quite quickly and taste pretty heavy sour after that.

Now what should I do, can I mix it with unfermented regular dosa batter and make dosas or should I just throw it away and wash? am not able to make a call myself, suggest me please.

1 person likes this.
  9. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@msm, yes you can if you eat sour food. BTW something similar is called injera in ethiopia and is made from batter fermented for 7 days. They make it with a grain called teff which is very similar to ragi.

1 person likes this.
  10. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

@butterflyice thx for your reply. I'll try making thin dosas/Sambar+chutney combo.

1 person likes this.