1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Today was a little heavy on the heart, watching the earthquake victims and the debris..

my lunch -

amaranth seeds/rajgira in rasam, cucumber,onions,carrot salad with yoghurt, cabbage kootu , spicy brown chana and moong papads.

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

This weekend i am going to log off with some thoughts to ponder..

earlier i was always just against preservatives and when i kept a close watch on my son's wheezing triggers, i always found it was the food colors, and sometimes the sauces..tomato ketchup and the likes that triggered..then i just kept off..but today i am little more illuminated..

this evening i was checking out the numbers on the bottles, the preservatives and the corresponding chemicals..

it was shocking..some of the essences and flavoring agents were derived from animal fat and were not for vegan and vegetarians..but no where does maggi give us the details of the origin of the flavoring agent 635...and 635 is not to be used by asthmatics..
    E number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from where i quote..
    Coming to horlicks lite INS 501, ins950 and diet cola, zero coke...no sugars...but recently they have added a star..and if you go finding the * you will find it artificial sweeteners added for weight conscious people..how many of us realise continuous use of these sweeteners could cause a spike in cholesterol..

ARTIFICAL SWEETENERS 950 AND 951 | Uncensored Magazine

A packet of milk bikis (INS500(II class), 503), 322, 471, and acceptable

all of them contain acceptable flavoring agents close to the natural taste...

this post is not about putting the fear of snake even if it is a rope. it is just to be aware a rope is a rope and snake is a snake.that gives us the power to decide what we eat, what we give the kids...

ha..i am back to the food colors.. and this one.. definitely

in combination with e210-215 is especially possible in candies, colas....no wonder...

this post is about awareness and nothing more..

most of the details are quoted from wikipedia...

12 people like this.
  3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Madam,
    So many infos... I need to go through in detail. Due to time constraints I am postponing that a bit now.

I came in the mrng rush to post my first plate of thinnai inspired truly by your advise.
    Thanks a ton and here I go.............

Made thinnai rice and had with Sambar, White pumpkin and lotus stem fires.
    The water used for making rice and mixed with laban and goodness....... I just loved it.

Attached Files:

8 people like this.
  4. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

My first try on Dhokla on Friday morning 5.30AM... Truly happy for the results...

The clarity for the second pic is low since I captured the photo in morning sunlight.....

Attached Files:

8 people like this.
  5. shodin

shodin Platinum IL'ite

Hi all....

Sorry dears was busy last full week. My DD birthday + was sick altogether I couldn't login. So many pages to read...@Shanvy lemon sharbath superb.....and thank you for the information about what we consume and about preservatives....@Vanivyas Doklas looks yummy....Will read and has to post from now regularly.

2 people like this.
  6. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Today's lunch - red boiled rice, ladiesfinger morekozhambu, vathakozhambu (my DD asked for it :) ) and carrot stir fry. I don't know how you all manage to take such beautiful pics of your plates. I either forget it or I'm so hungry that I don't have the patience to search for my phone to take a pic :-(

Yesterday's dinner - phulkas made with wheat flour and sprouted ragi flour, masoor dal tadka.

Went to buy millets from an organic shop nearby and the shopkeeper asked me "where do you buy tea?". I said " I usually buy the red label/brooke bond types". Then he was telling me about how Indian tea has been rejected by UK due to excessive pesticides. I know I can't afford to go organic completely. So I didn't bother checking his organic tea. But while returning home, I was thinking if organic is really true or is it yet another marketing tactic using the backdrop of "fear".

3 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Karakozhambu-kudravalli in Kokum - OPOS - IL.jpg

Today's menu - K3 - Karakozhambu, Kudaravalli made in Kokum (instead of tamarind) and cabbage sabzi with onions.

Night - same veg, masoor dal and phulkas.

4 people like this.
  8. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

@shanvy mam: afraid of anything eating outside nowadays i was strictly followed the rule till last week, but on saturday i attended a bhajans at relatives home and had prasadam, there started mild diarrhea :( need to check with doc if it does not stops...

coming to preservatives part, first of all thanks for your info on these preservatives and food colours added in the food products. i feel our home made urundais and thattais are best for both kids and adults nowadays. i have stopped giving health drink for my dd since 2 months as it aggravates stomach pain as soon as she finishes a cup. likewise biscuits are restricted to alternative days....(do not able to stop it completely) maggi i made it for her today after 6 months (a rule i have kept for maggi and pizza- is once in six months) and she obeys it - paavam sometimes she feels tempted when seeing apartment kids are having those :( but she convince herself saying these are hazardous....

i strongly believe in our traditional foods made at home which causes not much impact on our health....will try to follow so that our kids will also used for that, i have stopped going out for dinner at restaurants for more than 1 year or so, you wont believe i forgot when i went last time....you remember once i was telling of amebiasis infection i had due to outside food? from those times we stopped having outside, hence my system is used to that which is now showing immediate response for one day outside food now :( hope it get cured by itself.....

thanks for your valuable info mam, even my heart is heavy to see those after effects of Nepal earthquake....

c u later...

3 people like this.
  9. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@Shanvy - I understand how frustrating it would be to answer the same questions multiple times for different people. But still you took time to give me directions and I greatly appreciate that. It did not occur to me to use the search option. My bad!!

you know what.. I exactly had started doing this since past few days :) I maintain separate documents - one for recipe index and other for cooking steps/tips etc. If my final versions seem readable, I will share with everyone.

Oh noooo Shanvy.. I said I bleed frequently and not you.. This was about me and not about you :notthatway:

Thank you for taking time and patiently reply to me.. It means a lot :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Shanvy - very informative post on preservatives..

@bhucat - I am very impressed that your DD understands the ill effects of some foods and follows your rules :) Kudos to the little girl!!

3 people like this.