1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@butterflyice this was the only greens that were easily available in plenty in hill station 20 years back, and our cook used to make it frequently..i have always seen it available with greens sellers. there are loads of greens that many of us don't even use on a regular basis or get..

How many of you have eaten wild amaranth/ my granny used to call this sothu kuppai keerai for the tendency of it growing in the wild..

download (3).jpg

and there is one with mild thorns called the spiny amaranth..both the wild and spiny are equally high in their medicinal value. these are not even found as commonly as they were found earliers even farm areas these days. i have heard that it is cultivated in some places around the world.
    unnamed.jpg

both steamed in a mudpot with a few cloves of garlic was all it took by the workers..they would just pluck them while they freshened up themselves at the pump/bore and they will just walk around the well/bore and pluck these. oh the memories..

Pictures courtesy google.

4 people like this.
  2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@shanvy, I recognise the first one :) It grows along with parthenium almost like weeds. Easy to uproot it along with parthenium. You are right that many of us have stopped eating varieties of greens.

My FIL was very particular about food and would have the greens seller bring all kinds of greens from nearby villages right from brahmi, bringaraj to different varieties of methi. Did you know Agathi keerai is not commonly found in other states, TN seems to have the monopoly. Also the keerai with black berries used in jaundice treatment (forget the tamil name).

Apart from quinoa, amaranth is all the rage in US!! Seems like they have "discovered" it ;)

2 people like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@butterflyice

you mean manathakkali/night shade variety has multiple benefits..easy to grow too.

hummingbird leaves or agathikeerai is known in other places, maybe they don't cook it. but i know online stores selling them in bangalore and other states too.

the other day my cousin was talking about chana dal keerai and i had no clue, until she showed..they cook the greens of chanadal.. so each state must be having some special greens that others may or maynot be aware.

like andhrites eat fresh tender tamarind leaves..

yeah not just quinoa and amaranth, they have discovered turmeric and coconut oil..

Scientists have found the best way to cook rice, as per a recent article.
    Scientists discover a simple way to cook rice that could halve the calories - ScienceAlert.. our granny's and their grannies did the same. added a drop of sesame oil into the rice while cooking...

3 people like this.
  4. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

@shanvy and all my dear friends :biggrin2:
    Just dropped in to say "Hello..how do you do???" Im..not soo great, but good. :)
    My fresh veggies for salad straight from fridge landed me in worst wheezing ever plus cold and all the freebies that follow..had horrible time with severe antibiotics and nebulizers et all..Phew..I had to ditch my dream run with salads midway. Food intake also reduced, lost quite a bit.
    Now looks all OK :))) I've started the salads @ nite again. But I make sure its out to normal room temp before I even touch them. That's keeping me safe for last 2 weeks. Again I'm back to eat healthy-stay beautiful routine :wink:
    Ah yes, forgot to say..started my pranayama's again in the morning. Mitigation plans to repair the repercussions from wheezing and lung contraction I had. :) Plus 45 mins brisk walking :)))) feels good now.
    Will come back whenever I make the weekend specials. see ya..Take care all of you..

6 people like this.
  5. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

This article wants us to put the rice in fridge!! As far as I know, we should cook and eat fresh for optimum health. In fact my ayurvedic doctor said food stored in fridge creates toxins upon heating. So I don't quite endorse this way of cooking. What is your view @ shanvy?

Yup I was talking about manathakkali . Thanks for helping me :)

Tender channa leaves with the channa still attached to them makes for a yummy salad. This coupled with tender jowar freshly harvested is something that people look forward to after the winter harvest.

2 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@parineetha neethu great to have you back. this year the wheeze has been bad all around. a couple of them had pneumonia..next year we will learn to cope better with better strategies. take care and don't stress..but do peep in..

@butterflyice i prefer fresh. with the climate changes and environmental changes i feel it is better to cook just enough for the day rather than carry it forward. no wonder the pattu, pazham pattu was so common. even for the pazhaya saadham they cooked in the evening and poured water and left it out only. today if i leave it in outside the next morning it will be frothy and smelly especially summer.. all changes..
    and my granny used to add a tsp of sesame oil into the cooking rice..it was always handpounded, cooked in open stove and strain method..

i don't mind the chutney, or thokkus to be kept inside. sambhar in my place is boiled too much compared to regular household..due to the raw smell issues that my dh has..so that sometimes is kept inside the fridge to be used the next day. otherwise i prefer fresh. i think eating fresh is one of the rules for those who go for infertility treatment in siddha/ayurveda.. we are returning back to olden ways only at a high cost..

our elders definitely were great planners, and i can't appreciate it enough.. even today for rama navami..look at the neivedyam..salad (kosumalli/vada pappu), panagam and neer mor..light and coolant.owing to the summer heat that starts around this time..as the system needs time to adjust...

4 people like this.
  7. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Hello @shanvy mam and everyone, hope you are having a great weekend. Last few days have been extremely busy and tiring, that I took a long nap this afternoon. Forget healthy eating, even "eating" on time becomes a challenge on such days. Hoping to get back to normal eating.

@shanvy mam, your quote "we are returning back to olden ways only at a high cost.." is so so true....I can see that reflecting everywhere. Farmer's market at a big mall in Bangalore this weekend, and I'm sure everything will be very expensive.

I'm growing palak, methi and mint in my balcony. Is there any store where I can get seeds for these healthy keerai varieties you mentioned? There is no cart vendor in my locality selling greens :-(

2 people like this.
  8. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Made pasta a few days back - marinara sauce made from scratch, fresh basil and parsley plucked from the garden. My family loves it and I make it once a week for dinner. Pasta is made from durum wheat, so it's somewhat healthier than the Sunfeast/Bambino ones we get.

20150302_201843.jpg

5 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@karanu did you check out @satchitananda's thread in gardening
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/269651-kitchen-garden-balcony-apartment-possible.html
    . she has mentioned some stores..and more than that you can definitely exchange seeds and plants between all of you. @hrastro, @madhuprabha satchi and few more are from bangalore..so i am sure satchi would be interested in your parsley and basil and will be happy giving you some cuttings of perandai..this is so simple..networking. if you are on fb i am told by a gardening friend that there is a group there for blore that exchanges seeds just like they do in chennai.

and i love that pasta..my son is reminding me that i have not made some for quite long..weeks become months and years when it comes to his food..lol.

3 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

could not post my plate for yesterday, had guests and got busy..
    IMG_20150328_133715.jpg

It was panagam, (this was the first time my son guzzled the entire chilled drink without my reminding it was prasadam. i made it with karupatti vellam, lemon, sukku,elaichi..and full marks from the family), neer mor, barley rice, carrot&cucumber kosumalli, rasam and cabbage+sprouted kollu/horsegram sabji with a little turmeric pickle.

4 people like this.