1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hiya all missing in action. busy and more buzzy and a bit lazy with regards to this thread.

to those of you who appreciated this cake thanks a lot. it was just the bananas that make it soft. they are amazing egg substitutes.

@1sandhya welcome to dip ..looks amazing and tasted wonderfully spongy, moist and tasty. if i was into frosting this is one cake i would have wanted to do..

@sumanrathi no please please and all. enna sr idhu this is just a cake. give me some time, and also remind me if i forget, i will try to measure and tell you. honestly as i said when i posted it was a little of this, little of that..just whatever came in my hand..no proper measurement..sometimes baking can be forgivable or i tend to be lucky. it is is a oats+a little whole wheat, with bananas, jaggery, coffee decoction, nuts, and baking powder and baking soda mixed using milk..baked at 200d degrees and 25minutes..it stays fresh outside for 3-4 days in this summer heat in my place.. for measurements will be back

@latharam09 namma pakkathu theruvula irukkum bodhe meet panna mudiyala..lol on you getting a piece of that cake..remind me before..i tend to mess under pressure..hope dd is doing great..loads of wishes and luck her way.

3 people like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@butterflyice these days you get everything in india in tn. all berries, all nuts. did you know california walnuts and almonds are getting marketed as the next best thing for a sharp brain.

@shodin yes i make poricha kootu with watermelon. last year it was kootu, stir fry with some shallots, and regular kootu. i do make a dosa with it too.

Lovely plates..liked the weekend affair. i have never tried jackfruit seeds and drumstick leaves. but the most healthiest and funny combo is murungai keerai and punnakku..(punnakku means oil cake after extracting oil..earlier it used to be hand pressed using the chekku maadu..like in the picture)
    download (1).jpg download (2).jpg

that is how oil was extracted before machines and mills came into the picture..oil was more healthy. the oil cakes..they were so nice to eat. have eaten drumsticks with this punnakku..doubles the nutrients..and was so good for calcium and iron content.

today the cakes are more useful as manure only..

@satchitananda lovely plate..i want some of those home grown veggies..it is becoming so hot that the mint, the greens are shrivelling already...

@chitravivek welcome back. lovely millets bath and the texture too is so good..

Pic source. internet .

4 people like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

On thursday i picked a plantain flower. so yesterday it was plantain flower curry without coconut(i did not have any) and a spicy cauliflower sabji (s special request from my son), tomato kootu and kodomillet/varagu rice. buttermilk on the side.

IMG_20150313_132810.jpg

Today it was cucumber, curds, lady's finger sabji, radhish kootu and thinai/foxtail millet rice.

IMG_20150314_141333.jpg

happy nombu to all those who do. will be doing early morning..

7 people like this.
  4. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

There are different types of Oil cake ( Sesame ) and coconut. when they are doing extraction process half grained oil cake we will get from the oil mil with that we will mix jaggery the taste will be awesome during school annual holiday time we all get together in our native we do all this stuffs :):) happy to recollect all such incidents Golden days. Now a days our kid are really missing those cultural bonds with our close relations all re busy with holiday classes ......

during last month also we extracted 5 kg of coconut oil. @ pallavaram the oil extraction unit is still running but not with buffalo.

3 people like this.
  5. sumanrathi

2 people like this.
  6. shodin

shodin Platinum IL'ite

Dear all....

Shanvy mam.... ys I know about kopra punnaku as there is 3 to 4 cows in my home @ India. We used to give to cow. Its very good taste too....will try with muringa leaves on my next visit....Your plates as usual wow....Tomato kootu mouth watering....Ys we are also waiting for the measurement of the cake with banana and coffee....

1 person likes this.
  7. sumanrathi

The pic of the cake is still in my mind will turn off once i taste it lol... waitingsmiley

1 person likes this.
  8. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful pics Shanvy. You make kootu with watermelon leftovers. Super, I haven't heard of it. May be I will try it once before the summer is over. And please reserve a piece of cake for me too, whenever we meet. Its been long since I cooked plantain flower. Also, pils don't eat it so I don't make it often. Now seeing your post, decided to cook it tomorrow as pils also going out for lunch.

SR, Shodin and Satchi, nice menus. Shodin. I wonder how you can eat so many veggies and salads. Its so tough for me to eat more veggies.

2 people like this.
  9. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Tomato kootu recipe please....mouth watering !

2 people like this.
  10. shodin

shodin Platinum IL'ite

good morning buddies.....

Chill breeze if you add apple cider vinegar pepper powder garlic powder onionpowder with these raw vegetables and keep it in fridge it will be great taste to have these vegetables....

Lunch yday - bell peppers with chickpeas boiled + carrot and cucumber raita + mint raita + brown multigrain bread (brown bread was not there in the shop)+ dates

Dinner Chappathi - 2 with egg curry ( Sorry I don't know whether I can post egg curry here. If not pls excuse me....)

lunch 15-03-2015-fitness.jpg

3 people like this.