1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@chillbreeze it is used to be 10rs for a bunch. now it is 28 for a 1.5 bunch that i can use for 2 times. i pick up thoothuvalai, mudakkathaan and vallarai when i can.

and i am so scared that this another adulteration waiting to happen. go to any of the supermarket now you find all the rice, samai,kudiravali to kavuni rice. then sevai in all variants, i recently saw avarampoo sevai. horsegram sevai and powders. and same goes for all the herbal powders of neem, to aloe vera. Abhising used to say that some of them don't even take proper care to dry these in the proper methods..

so please please take care when you use any of these products. go for quality. that does not mean all quality products are 100% perfect. but you will know which is right and which is not by usage and gut.

is the tv part of their group itself. i heard a joke that they have a hospital to absorb the products of their own colleges.

somebody rightly told me we are in the threshold of medical terrorism. we are being terrorised in the name of diseases and there is so much cash being generated. that said i don't say all doctors are wrong . there is 1 in 10 to spoil the hard work ethics of 9.

2 people like this.
  2. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

Mung dal+spinach, ridge gourd, brown rice
    IMG_0542.JPG

tomato curry, cabbage, brown rice
    IMG_0544.JPG

5 people like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda you have the kal dosa tava?? since you have all those lovely traditional pans/chatti i was wondering if you have one. by regular ones you mean cast iron. i find it heavy and my family refuses me to get one. the nicely tempered iron one that i used to have was borrowed by a family friend and she nicely told me that she gets lovely dosas on that and i should get a new one...

and yes the first one is a little thick and if v is in town he will never allow others to eat that ..he will claim it. the paper thins are preferred by the kids. the thick by fil and dh.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@mahesaran wonderful dishes and planning. reminds me of the tapioca and sweet potato that is inside. maybe friday/saturday i will make them.

and fil loves variety from pizza to pasta and dhokla to anything this dil makes (touchwood). he loves my cooking and i love cooking for him and he is a game for anything. dinner it was no rice for the kids for the past 30 days+ now. we have not used a bit of rice in the night. let me see how long we will do it.the kids don't miss it. the otherday dd got a message about one of the greens i make. that it cures a lot of diseases and she was asking me if i was the owner of the message..they are slowly able to understand that what their mom was/is doing is the new in thing among health conscious people and they tell their friends, my mom has been doing these for so many years..

1 person likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@mahesaran dry fruits ladoo. roast some til, nuts..crush add the dates and apricots too. run it and make a wonderful dry fruits laddoo.i made this for one of the navarathri neivedyam so did @deepslikes just link/post your droolworthy picture of this.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@deepslikes i want that beerakaya/spongegourd iguru @chillbreeze did i mention spongegourd in the list, lovely lovely balance and wonderful click.

1 person likes this.
  7. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

There was a post long back by @laks09 asking about fried onions in oven for biryani

I tried last week (~350F for 30-35 min) I never deep fry (always saute) so no idea if they were crispy enough..

IMG_0538.JPG

3 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

same pinch i too tried browning in the oven only i forgot to click and i even forgot laks had asked.

2 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Today's lunch was simple prosomillet in coriander mint and onion mixture, regular corn gravy, raw papaya salad tossed in mint, black salt, pepper jeera, and curds and turmeric+mangoginger pickle.

PApaya is used to tenderize meat to break it. it has a wonderful enzyme that aids digestion. so utilze it when you get it. i remember around 94-95 we used to stay in this rented house where we had mango,coconut, papaya trees, and other plants that i tried my hand too. so my mil used to say what will people do with these raw papayas that don't ripe for long and also when the yield was so much and people who eat was just one (me) .. it was the days when this fruit and sorrakkai where shunned as fruits and vegetables not eaten by a certain .... so one day i made a steaming hot kootu of the same raw papaya and gave it as a side dish for piping hot chappatis and then disclosed it the next day. they were surprised that they could not find the difference..my family.. such sweet/fun moments..this evening it would go into rotis for my kids..:rotfl

IMG_20150107_131158.jpg IMG_20150107_131226.jpg

We had around 3 over ripe bananas and you all know by now my kids will not eat it. so in they go to make a absolute gluten free vegan bread/cake whatever you would call to share with a kid who has gluten allergy as well as lactose intolerant.

maize flour, bananas and palm jaggery. it took a long time to cook, i would have liked it a little more softer, maybe adding a little more oil/butter or egg would be the trick. egg for those who use..
    IMG_20150107_160354.jpg IMG_20150107_160343.jpg

11 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@karanu i thought if i don't post the recipe of sathumaavu mufffins you will remind me today..

1.5 cups home made health mix /sathumaavu flour
    .5 cups whole wheat to give a bind.. (being first time)
    1 cup jaggery melted and strained
    1 cup pulsed apple. (i dont remove the skin,)
    2 tblsp crushed nuts (walnuts, badam) optional
    1 tblsp olive oil
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    and 1 cup water
    choco chips optional.

mix well the pulsed apple, sugar, milk oil, together and water. then add the flour, soda and baking powder. and now fold well. incorporate it well. if too thick add a little more milk/water as per your choice. now add the choco chips.

preheat the oven at 200 degrees. spoon into muffin trays/mould and bake for 30 minutes.

P.S. you can add more sugar if you like it sweet. we like it mild.
    you can chocolate syrup/cocopowder to have it more chocolaty.
    add a little more oil to make it more soft.
    timing could differ as per your oven and your batter. please check around 23-25 mintues..and if the toothpick test comes out sticky continue till the 30. IMG_20150103_124135.jpg

9 people like this.