1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Writera: your besan chocolate cake looks yummy. Please share the recipe when ready.

2 people like this.
  2. Writera

Writera Gold IL'ite

Definitely! When I manage to minimise the besan taste somehow...

Btw, I agree that even I could never make a batch of murukku. It wouldn't last a day!

3. ChandrikaV

Are you roasting the besan?

4. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Hi Mahesaran,

Ragi muruku looks very good!

For healthy baking recipes always refer Shanvy! I've copied & kept her post on ATTA BANANA CAKE, will post it if you need.

1. Cooking soda is the one I use as baking soda and the cake comes out well.

2. Aluminium pans that come with cooker are perfect to start with.

3. Vanilla essence is very good. You get vanilla pods (2 pods packet) in Nilgiri's in Bangalore.

4. I spoiled my 12 ltr aluminium pressure cooker on the baking spree. I could not get sand and used to bake without sand.

5. I read an article on using salt instead of sand for baking. Maybe you could try.

6. Buy measuring cups and spoons.

If you need eggless maida cake recipe, you can try this " Eggless Vinegar Cake" by Chitra Mam. It is eay to make and tasty too, but I've not tried this in pressure cooker or with atta.

Baking is very addictive. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Damini.

3 people like this.
  5. ChandrikaV

Damini,

Can you please post Shanvy's atta banana cake?

6. Writera

Writera Gold IL'ite

Hi CV,

Since I was following the Dhokla recipe, I didn't. Instead just put fruitsalt and popped it into the microwave. I use a Dhokla steamer otherwise...but was too eager to get the cake out. Instead of the 7 minutes that is usually recommended for microwaving the Dhokla...my cake was done in 3 minutes. SO as you imagine it was too raw. I gave it some time and microwaved a few more times.... and then it was fine. But next time will definitely roast it. I am sure it will be much better and the cocoa definitely masks the taste of the grain to a large extent.

2 people like this.
  7. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Chandrika Mam,

Here is Shanvy's Post on ATTA CAKE

1.5 cups whole wheat flour (you can use maida)
    i used up 3 bananas big ones..they were sweet according to my daughter..so the less sugar.
    2 tsp- filter coffee decoction (optional)
    1 tsp - cocoa powder
    1 tsp - baking powder
    .75 tsp - baking soda
    2 tblsp-choco chips
    2/3 tblsp milk
    1 tblsp - sugar powdered.
    1.5 tsp - oil
    sieve bp,bs , cocoa powder and flour.
    in a bowl blend, bananas, milk, sugar, oil. now add the sieved flour and mix well. incorporate well..if the batter is too dense, add a little more milk..the whole wheat flour takes a wee bit more milk/water..

bake in a pre-heated oven of 200 degrees centigrade for 30+5 minutes..the brownness in my version is because of the coffee....that is to carmoflauge the overpowering banana flavor...whole wheat takes a little more time than apf.

3 people like this.
  8. ChandrikaV

Thanks a lot Damini. i am going to try soon. I baked banana bread with atta a couple of days ago....it was very dense but soft. I took a recipe from net but just substituted atta for maida. May be I should have added more milk.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChandrikaV

Shans,

A question for you. In the recipe Damini has posted, the only liquids are milk and oil. The total quantity is less than 1/2 cup. Is that really enough for 1 1/2 cups atta? Does the mashed ripe bananas make the rest up?

2 people like this.
  10. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

CV...100% whole wheat breads/cakes will be dense if you compare it to normal cakes..you add little maida ...like 25% and 75% whole wheat...it makes a lot of difference to the texture...

2 people like this.