1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

I used 3 1/2 times of water with more veggies. I fried the millet rava with the veggies and then added the water and pressure cooked for 2 whistles in small cooker

2 people like this.
  2. mahesaran

Happy to know that you are recovering.....
    yes I like brown rice pongal... It won't be smashed like the white rice pongal... I love the texture of br rice pongal.

1 person likes this.
  3. mahesaran

Shanvy mam, I prepared ragi murukku today...:banana.yee But didn't taste yet as of fasting. It is crispy.

only 3 pieces came in full form.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    9 people like this.
  4. mahesaran

image.jpg image.jpg

While pressing itself, it broke into pieces, but crispy and no oil outside.
    After that I mixed little water and knead it again, it was fried in full form but little oil was seen in the murukku . Is there any mistake?.. What would be the reason?

3 people like this.
  5. mahesaran

Shanvy mam and other friends, can you guide me to make the cake (with the proper measurements. )I have to buy baking soda as it became old...atta is there at home. I don't have any essence other than rose milk essence. Any other things to buy? Next week would be an attempt for cake in cooker...:) Any tips that you personally following .

2 people like this.
  6. pihu123

pihu123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Mahesaran,
    Where can we buy Baking soda in Bangalore? I have searched everywhere in malls but not getting anywhere.If you get Baking soda anywhere ,then please let me know what is the name of the brand and price? That would be a great helpful to me.

7. Writera

Writera Gold IL'ite

Pihu,

Are you looking for soda to bake?

Baking powder and yeast and is typically enough as baking powder has soda is my understanding... Weikfeld Baking Powder is available. You get at Value Mart also Big Bazaar.. maybe you're looking specifically for Soda? In which case this doesn't answer your question. You can also use Eno (the no-flavor one) as it contains baking soda....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Mahe,

one order of Ragi murukku please. I will send you my address. It looks so yummy. You are amazing dear...... You are like a sponge. Absorb all the good things Shans and others post, implement the ideas to total perfection. Kudos to you my dear. Hope your DH and your famiily is really proud of you! I adore you sweetheart!

9. Writera

Writera Gold IL'ite

Mahe luuuuurve the look of your Ragi murukku. Man! I am in such a snacky mood, I feel like sitting with a bowl of them and munching on it with a nice book!

Sri, are you using Chrome by any chance? Because it happened to me that I couldn't upload and I used IE. Sometime browsers also create problems it seems.

Okay as I posted yesterday I was going to make kodo millet and broadbeans pattie... because my broadbeans were boiled too soft. I mixed them and they had a nice mashy consistency. And I made the patties, and served with a big batch of roasted veggies... Pics below.

2014-07-23 20.48.12.jpg

2014-07-23 20.49.48.jpg

BUT BUT BUT making pattie was too much of a freaking greasy affair. The thing is, there is a cafe here in bangalore where they serve Kodo Millet burger and I thought I will try the pattie at home. Also I looked for Millet burger and saw that it's possible.. didn't bother looking at the specifics of the recipe. SO making the pattie takes way too much oil and I will probably never do it again. HOWEVER.....

I had the leftover dough and made a chilla/addai kind of thing today. There was very little compromise on the taste and it was far far less greasy and healthy. So this is my lunch pic.

2014-07-24 13.17.47.jpg

But this wasn't enough and I am seriously hungry now and Mahe's Raagi murkku is sitting there looking so yum. (Black beauties!)

Also wanted to upload (overloading you?) with a pic of besan chocolate cake I made last week. It lasted till yesterday. I made it exactly like I make Dhokla with fruit salt. The icing is peanut, milk and cocoa. Of course sugar in both the cake and the icing but seriously waaay below what would be in a typical cake. And because it's 100% besan you can't eat more than this.

2014-07-23 18.23.38.jpg

I will admit thought that it is not super super yummy and the besan's nutty earthy taste is still there. But it definitely works for me with a cup of coffee. I am working on improvising the recipe and when I can perfect it I will definitely share for anybody interested.

7 people like this.
  10. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Friends,

it is sad that I can't make the murukku......the reason being I will finish the whole thing. I really have no control and judgement when it comes to our fried snacks. I try to make it when kids are home and that too on the day they leave so that I pack and send it with them; ofciurse after tasting and keeping some for me.

2 people like this.