1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

CVmam,

this particular post is for you. one for the wheat rava, and another for inspiring me to check out wheat grass following your query on if we can sprout wheat berries.
    IMG_0880.JPG
    wheat grass the amazing wonderfood, and i have been so hesitant to give it a try owning to chennai heat and my apprehension of killing plants .

i think it was you who pushed me to give it a try.and i wanted to try and then post. no point in copying from the net. as this thread is about honest day to day applications and experiments done by all of us.
    the answer to your query. yes wheat berries the regular ones (works best when they are good quality) can be sprouted. you soak them. then take them in a cloth. keep sprinking water.. they sprout in a day-1.5days.

if you want to grow wheat grass, plant the sprouts..( my son is now worried and does not want them to grow..) already they feel that they are being fed too many juices...lol.

IMG_0877.JPG

7 people like this.
  2. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Dearest Shans,

Thanks a ton.

i do know the bulghur. Easy to identify and also sold as bulghur wheat . With broken wheat and samba wheat, I am seeing they look similar but the size is different. Am I way too off??

Yes, I did ask you about sprouting wheat. Amazing pics with wheat berries. Ibdo have some wheat berries here with me. Let me give a try. Not sure yet if I want to grow wheat grass or not. Will post soon.
    Your DS is really sweet......

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

no..the colors are a little different. the broken wheat is something not sold everywhere. they look more like samba, but are paler and not regular size. i use them for idlis, adai and dosa. more glutenous than bulgur is my opinion.

my ds is not sweet. his frustration over his mom's pouring arugampul, tulsi juice down his throat 3 times in the week..

1 person likes this.
  4. pink

pink New IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy..

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

awww...Hugs to C & S for bearing with all the juices ;)

Yummy buns that were, Shan.

Yesterday Bf: Ragi + Red rice Poha dosai + Thakkali chutney
    Lunch: Green Bean sprout + Brinjal curry, Paruppu keerai poriyal + white rice
    Dinner: Rice Idiyappam + mixed veg stew + coconut gratings

Today:
    Bf: Ragi kara paniyaaram (made of yesterday's left over dosai flour) & ragi semiya upma
    Lunch: Vendakkai pachadi (as you know, it is raining vendakkais at home for now), Kollu (horsegram) kozhambu, Cabbage poriyal, Keerai kootu
    Dinner: dont know

as you mentioned, i found that our yield of ladies finger are very dark in colour too. (provided that they are organic). so I guess thats normal. May be with the lack of rains and all, something is happening...:(

Craving for that Midhi Pavakkai. I can just have a meal of just that poriyal alone with hot hot rice and nallennai (drooling)

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

satchi, here you go.

I follow chitvish mam's bun recipe.(dilkush bun recipes) regularly but i tweaked it with multigrain and my oil preference. from last year have been trying with this amazing technique that was shared with me by a friend . she vouches by the tanghzong method and i am now a fan of it. i am still a veg person. i wash my bun with a milk+oil wash,instead of the egg wash.
    Japanese Style Bacon and Cheese Bread (Tangzhong Method I am amazed at her versatility..and i use my hands for making the dough unlike her with the bread maker.

and multigrain atta maynot give me that exact spongy texture but it still makes it drool worthy for my kids.

4 people like this.
  7. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Today as of adai kerthigai, had an elaborate lunch but with all healthy stuffs, really my tummy is full.

plantain stem-carrot-mango sambhar, rasam, cabbage- carrot curry, aloo- gobi fry, semiya payasam, channa dal vada ( made with 1 spn oil for 5 vadas), mw pappad, thinai rice , Curd I took separately.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    13 people like this.
  8. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy mam, after seeing your buns, I got really tempted. I don't have convention oven... Is it possible to make cake in cooker? Once I tried dinny's 5 min wheat cake.. I never kept it the next day.

Sorry for violating this thread. One more help, I want to make ragi murukku for my ds, if possible give me the recipe for that. I never tried traditional snacks by myself. Taking baby steps with normal murukku. Mil or mom will give me the flour, I will just fry it...

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Mahe i know abhising bakes without oven. i think with a toaster.(?). of baking on a .cooker maynot do justice to the bun..but why not give a try with small amount..check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LMv8Cz2jIQ. i have not done it, but no harm in trying..but use a old cooker and less quantity. nothing will happen to the dough. if it does not come out well as buns, you can always roll out naans ...

2 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

nothing about violating the thread. as a ex-mod, as long as it does not go into personal details, chatting or digressing so as to hurt another person or more..there is nothing wrong.

regarding ragi murukku. there are many methods to do it. the one i do frequently is this one. you can follow the same for wheat flour/multigrain flour too.

1 cup - ragi flour
    1/4 cup - roasted gram flour.
    1/4(+/-) spoon-chilli powder
    1 tsp - sesame seeds
    pinch of hing
    1/2 (+/-)tsp -salt
    Oil to fry.

steam the flour in a cloth bundle. place the cup of ragi flour in a nice clean cotton cloth. tie it into a potli. now place this in a steamer. if you don't have one..keep it in the rice cooking bowl of your pc. and steam it for 5 minutes. cool it. now sieve it.

powder the roasted gram dal. sieve it.

now in a bowl add the ragi, roasted gram dal powder,add chilli powder, salt, hing, sesame seeds and mix it dry. pour the oil in a pan and heat.

now add a spoon or more of the hot oil into the dough and add water and mix into a nice dough just like regular murukku dough.

press it through the mould. the first one you need to do it cautiously. if you leave it for a few seconds more it becomes too hard and a slight bitter tastes comes up.
    the trick to know it is cooked well is the nice clang sound that comes when you take it out on to the plate..not too smoking oil will not help.

Notes : to balance the taste of excess ragi (some feel it tends to be a little bitter) add 1/2 cup of rice flour. and increase the roasted gram flour to 1/3cup.

you can add garlic to the same.

you like the urad flavor in your murukku, you need to dry roast 2tblsp of urad till it is golden color and also emanates nice smell. cool and powder fine. sieve.
    now reduce the roasted gram dal by 1/2 or take equal parts of roasted gram and urad dal flour.

you can even roast the flour. but i feel steaming is better.. i steam for kambhu, wheat flour murukku too..

try it.

2 people like this.