1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Friends,

Yes but in Vadacurry we add gingergarlic paste,spices, garam masala and some pudina No tamarind.

1 person likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

What is karupatti Shanvy?

Lunch - 19 July 2014.jpg

Today's lunch: 1 aloo paratha, salad, chepankazhangu roast, chilli pickle, dahi with jeera + dhaniya + red chilli powder.

7 people like this.
  3. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

Technically Vada curry is a side dish for Idly , Dosa . Paruppu Urundai Kozhambu is for Rice :)

4. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Proya and Magee,

thanks for clarification.

Being a Tamilian, I always think of a dry vegetable like beans curry, potato roast or vazhikai kalyana curry when some one mentions curry. It took me time to understand that in North when they say curry, it is something with gravy and subzi means dry veggie. So when I heard vada curry I was thinking of a dry curry hichwill have onions, may be tomatoes with masala and pieces of vada in it. May be I should try making it.....shd be interesting?

3 people like this.
  5. Writera

Writera Gold IL'ite

Lovely ladies,

Thanks for welcoming me back and wishing me luck. Here is my lunch thali, a little late but didn't want to miss sharing. I gobbled it up and went off to a cafe to get some work done. Quickly took a clumsy snap.

2 multigrain rotis, mixed veggie sabzi, sprouts and black channa. Plus curd later. 2014-07-19 13.49.48.jpg

Will be back with more!

7 people like this.
  6. sridevi1977

sridevi1977 IL Hall of Fame

Satchi,
    Impressed with the freshness in your plate.

Ashanvy,
    your Aadi velli day's plate is divine. Lovely.
    In the sweet appam, I add jaagery, wheat flour,banana,little coconut and elachi.
    In the kara appam, I never tried putting tofu on it. Also did not try with roasted gram flour, but tried with oats and veggies.

Will try that some time.

1 person likes this.
  7. sridevi1977

My breakfast today:
    IMG_20140719_105542.jpg

multigrain porridge with milk and jaggery with chopped almonds
    papaya

7 people like this.
  8. sridevi1977

Some of the pictures cant be uploaded here...but some are ok.
    Did any one face this in this thread?
    I tried to post my lunch pictues many times.. uploading error is the message I am getting from the site.
    Same thing happened last week also.
    Any suggestions?

Any ways, my lunch plate:
    salad ,white pumpkin and carrot soup
    spinach and methi paratha
    Besan kadappa

1 person likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Magee I make gatte khi sabji by steaming besan with all the spices and cutting and toasting them. and adding to the gravy. i too steam for paruppu urundai. since we like it very coarse it would disintegrate if not steamed. i steam koftas too if it is not for a party.

for me vadacurry means makeover of left over vadai. that is how i have been told it was..

@satchi karupatti is palm jaggery. it is costlier than the regular jaggery. nothing like palm jaggery if you get the good quality. darker and not too sweet. but is full of goodness. rich in calcium, yes you read it right. jaggery is rich source of iron, but this palm jaggery is rich in calcium. it is infact cooked with pepper and jeera and given as small golis to lactating mothers.

in dairy farms, due for delivery cows of a certain breed are fed with the jaggery to increase their calcium content.

even the fresh toddy is great source of calcium. it is then fermented to make the other one.

@sridevi, there is some issue with attachment. redo the attachment it works fine..but sometimes it is irritating. loved the breakfast plate as well as the lunch menu..and you are right the bright greens of satchi's plate is so so tempting...

and appam is very flexible..i think once we start modifying the original batter one..why not..add whatever.. i sometimes add lot of sesame..it is very good for health. tofu, i had some stock, of what i made the other day. so used it up.

@CVmam vadacurry with dosa/appam tastes good. try it.

@writera nice plate..greens tempting..

2 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

None of you wanted to tell me if you found out what the green sabji in the plate in post http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...an-lunch-ideas-sans-rice-118.html#post3332122.. so i guess you know it. it is sabji of amaranth stems. the one that are not too mature (that is sold separately and we make poricha kuzhambu and sambhar with it.) this one is tender. and we sometimes get these bunch of amaranth leaves that have long tender stems. adding them to the greens masiyal or sabji may end up increasing volume and especially in my home i need to lunch and brunch on that alone. so made this sabji. if you face the same issue someday. remove the stalk. keep it aside and make it the next day.

you can make it as a kootu by cooking it with some moong dal and adding ground jeera/coconut and green/red chillies. temper. makes a nice dish.

you can make it as a poriyal or sabji. by cooking and adding half cooked firm chana dal and temper and add fresh coconut.

you can add them to sambhar..

3 people like this.