Lunch/dinner Ideas During Trips

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by gardeninggirl, Mar 7, 2017.

1. gardeninggirl

gardeninggirl Bronze IL'ite

Hi all...It is our 2nd marriage anniversary and we have planned for a vacation.We are vegetarians and we face a problem while on trips or vacations.We don't get to stay near indian restaurants while on trip..this time we planned for south Florida and Keys.I cannot depend on the restaurants for dinner.I have decided to pack dinner for is for atleast 2-3 nights .Can you please suggest me any recipe names that I can prepare and take them to the trips.

2. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

You could buy ready to eat packs. Right from dal makhni to palak paneer to parathas, the range is wide. You just need to microwave or put the pack in hot water and warm food ready. Just carry an electric kettle incase you don't have access to hot water.

Will save the trouble of cooking, packing and carrying food along.

Enjoy your vacation and Happy Anniversary :)

gardeninggirl likes this.
  3. gardeninggirl

4. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

With Instant Pot, electric skillet, electric griddle, regular electric rice cooker, kettle, magic bullet, etc., your options to cook during trips are limitless. Just requires extensive planning and packing before the trip.

This is what I did during our 10 day Orlando trip last year with my in-laws who cannot handle restaurant food. We stayed in a two bedroom suite with a living room and kitchenette (just a countertop with sink, microwave, small fridge), not a full kitchen with stove and other cooking utensils. I am not sure if it is possible in a single hotel room, at least I wouldn't prefer doing cooking and filling up the room with cooking aroma where I have to sleep.

Before Trip:

Packed a check-in baggage with all required stuff - magic bullet (just one jar), electric skillet, rice cooker, slow cooker, microwave idli plate. Packed single serving of dhal, tempered upma mix, rice, dry spices (all tadka items, dried red chilli), salt, sugar, other condiments that I might need, puliyohare mix, raw ,mango rice mixes and other dry powders (chilli powder). Basically carried all non-perishable items. Also packed couple of microwaveable bowls, cups, plates, ladle, spoons, knife, cutting board etc., Made a list of items to be bought once we reach the destination - separate list - one for Indian grocery, one for regular Departmental store like Jewel Osco. Also found online the nearest grocery store near the hotel that we are going to stay.

After Arriving hotel:

The first day when we arrived at Orlando around 3pm, we didn't plan on any sight-seeing, just checked in, in-laws took a nap, I started arranging everything, husband went grocery shopping with the list that I prepared beforehand. We bought veggies, fruits, dips like hummus, guacamole, yogurt, snacks like chips, fruit juices, frozen indian curries like paneer butter masala(these are better than Ready to Eat ones, the ready to eat ones have too much of preservative smell), chappathi, idli/dosa batter (huge help).

Continental Breakfast was provided each day from hotel.

For Lunch, we would pack some mixed rice and curd rice OR idli and thuvaiyal - something that can be eaten easily in theme parks. I used to spend about 15 - 30 minutes for making and packing lunch each morning to be taken to theme parks. These are the ones that I made

• Puliyodharai with ready made paste, tempered curd rice, store bought pickle, chips - took 10 minutes hardly (excluding the rice cooker cooking time)
    • Raw mango rice with home made paste prepared before trip, tempered curd rice, store bought pickle, chips
    • Idli with store bought idli batter in microwave, tomato chutney (raw tomato, onion, red chilli, salt, tamarind paste little bit - ground together in magic bullet; then with electric skillet, made tadka and pored the ground chutney and bring it a boil)
    • Sesame rice with premade dry powder, tempered curd rice, store bought pickle, chips
    • Lemon rice, tempered curd rice, store bought pickle, chips
    On the days that we didn't visit any theme park, on the days when we come back to hotel room for lunch, I made

• Sambar with slow cooker (first cook just toor dhaal with water on high for 2 hours, then dump everything into slow cooker -washed toor dhal, cut veggies, onion, tomato, sambar powder, tamarind, salt, water. And turn it on medium for 3 hours). It hardly took 10 minutes effort and sambar would be ready when we come back to hotel room for lunch.
    • made microwave or electric skillet potato curry or other dry veggie saute with cut frozen veggies to eat with sambar and rice
    For Dinner, it would be mostly

• Idli (with microwave idli plate and store bought batter) or dosa in electric skillet. I will make some fresh chutney with just cut vegetables and that does not require any sauté. Like coconut chutney with dry coconut flakes , tomato chutney, coriander chutney (coriander leaves, cut onion, green chilli, salt, tamarind just ground freshly, can add dry coconut flakes). Or eat idli/dosa with left over sambar from afternoon.
    • On days that I was tired, store bought chappathi/naan with frozen curry
    • Adai dosa with premade (home made) dry powder
    • pesarattu (batter ground with magic bullet)
    • upma or pongal(with rice cooker) with sambar
    • Fruit smoothie with magic bullet

I planned things based on my family's preferences - they will be more than happy if there is curd rice and idli. And I made sure that I am not spending more than 30-45 minutes (that includes cooking, packing and cleaning) combined in morning and night, after all it was my vacation days too.

Overall everyone was so happy that I provided them real food with minimum effort all 10 days without anyone's help. DH was super happy that it was easy on pocket, and we didn't waste time waiting in line in crowded Disney parks cafeterias, and searching for good Indian restaurants for dinner after a long tiring day.

5. gardeninggirl

Oh my god...Thankyou so much for taking your time and writing a long post for me...you are really a good dil...Thankyou ..will definitely plan like this

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Happy anniversary and safe travels, @gardeninggirl!

If you post in the Florida forum, locals may tell you about good vegetarian eateries in the area.

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@daksh
    I am very impressed by your travel plans.
    I feel this can be adapted to daily life too, not only for travels.

8. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

That was such an elaborate and very useful tips on planning for trips. I think this will come in handy for any occasion we may have to stay away from home. Though we do the normal puliyotharai,idli , chips combos, - it is nice to see that good variety can also be had with some good planning . Thanks for sharing.

9. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Hello,
    I love the below brand of frozen dinner as a quick desi, vegetarian food on trips. It can be found in Target, Walmart and other grocery stores.
    https://www.amys.com/our-foods

Amy's Ktichen is the name of the frozen dinner, it is usually in organic, vegan section of frozen aisles.

10. ninalee

ninalee New IL'ite

Have just the same question!