1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lullabies in carnatic/folk music...

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by tikka, Nov 2, 2008.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I have the one by Bombay Jayshri, Vaatsalyam, and the little one is beginning to enjoy it. Otherwise it has been Cohen, Cohen, Cohen (I am bored and the lyrics are not appropriate for a young listener.) The pore thing has been listening to me sing (the lesser I say of it the better :hide:) the swarams. So here is the Question: Are there other lullabies, soothing nighttime music out there. I dont know if I am looking in the wrong places, but all shops hand me over some nursery rhyme kinda CDs. All ears on this one.

Mods, dont know where to post it. In the Chennai forum where I live, in music forum or in toddler forum? So feel free to move it.

2. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

I have been playing the Vatsalyam too and the babies enjoy it. I bought the series called "Kids love the Classics" which is a set of 5 CDs called "Babies love Beethoven", "Mommies love Mozart",
    "Children love Chopin", "Toddlers love Tchaikovsky", and "Babies love Brahms". It is not heavy and caters to the infant audience better. It is very soothing and the babies seem to calm down whenever they are fussy. (Or maybe I am justifying my buy ;-).

I also found a musical series at my local library called "Solitudes" where the Western Classical music is played against the backdrop of the ocean waves, rain in the forest and a water fall. I find this very slow though. I am not sure where it is available in Chennai, I can post a small clip of the mp3 version, and you can check it out. I am not an expert on Western classical music but I really enjoy listening to it.

Hope this helps.

Vidya

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thanks Vidya, we do already play a lot of Mozart and Tchaikovsky. DH for whatever reason is not big on Beethoven, let me see if there is something in westernc classical out there in the markets.
    I hoping there will lots of Carnatic songs out there that are a lullabyand someone who have compiled them into CDs for children.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi krithika,

Look out for music set in neelambari, say veena recitals or violin recitals. you can collect them and make a cd. if you like movie songs do check out my blog on lullabies.

If you like instrumental in carnatic let me know may be i can add up whatever i have and upload too...

You also get cds for better sleep series in landmark...maybe you could check them out...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I am a big fan of violin, be it western or Indian classical music.

I had been looking for sleep music for toddlers, so they come up with these twinkle, twinkle little star kinda stuff... Let me check out the other one.
    I like the Neelambari idea too. BTW, loved your blog. Unfortunately, DH is not a big fan of movie music withe exception of Asha Bhosle and DS prefers Jayshri kind of voices (I'll be damned if I know the kattais :rotfl). Thanks Shanti, I will get back on how things go with the sleep CDs.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hey Ktika,

I have an idea, you remember preethi sagars rhymes collection..may be you could take the rock a baby song from there..she sings well ... Shuba somehow her voice is too loud that is my feeling.

You can always get chitra's and bombay jayashree's songs on kanna and likes they are soft and melodius..and soothing.

If you are a fan of BJ and you could play this bajan to your d. it is soothing...maybe you should give it a try...if you want will send it across if you pm mail id. it is a copy i got from somebody who had recorded it live..

If you want veena/violin recitals will help you in that also....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  7. priraja1083

priraja1083 New IL'ite

Hi friends

U can play Priya sisters "Jo Achutananda...jo jo mukundha" ...which is more soothing for the kids...try out this...d baby & u will doze off !!!!