1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lullabies From Hindi Movies

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Oct 4, 2018.

1. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

I really wish, hindi movies should include more lullabies...... the one which I have been singing to my son are Chanda hai tu mera suraj hai tu and Yashoda ka Nandlala and Lalla lalla lori dudh ki katori .

We certainly feel these lullabies are binding us more.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana
    What a lovely song! I hunted for the actual movie version of this song but drew blank. I got a short clip of this:

Thanks a lot Rihana!

Rihana likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

@pumpkin01
    Great lullabies indeed!
    I have seen young mothers singing loving lullabies to put their children to sleep and have noticed how those children grew up to be. I have also seen mothers spanking their kids if they don't fall asleep. Some mothers threaten their children with ghost stories and threatening them that those ghosts are outside the gate watching if the children fell aseep. I don't have to say which children grew up best!

pumpkin01 likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was trying to recall how it plays in the movie. The online site einthusan where I watch most Hindi movies does not show the song in the songs list. Might watch and check if it plays during the opening or closing credits. Karishma acted well, but cannot fast forward and watch an entire movie of hers again even for a lovely song. : )

Cheeniya likes this.
  5. Rihana

Cheeniya, when I was new to the U.S., the question "You speak such good English?" used to annoy me no end. It never was a compliment to my hearing. The question was always there in the observation. Many a pithy reply went undelivered as I was still figuring out the social graces and accepted repartee. Confined smart responses to fledgling internet discussion groups. Have always wondered how you mastered Hindi so well having lived in Chennai and if I got it right not even having studied it in school. Each time I think of wondering aloud, my memory of "You speak such good English?" stops the question. : )

Saigal was Saigal. His songs are so immortal that there is something to appreciate in anyone singing it. Just by attempting to sing like him, some melody is sure to be achieved. My favorite singer among those who have sung Saigal's songs is Sangita Nerurkar. She sang So ja Rajkumari also, but Gham Diye Mustaqil by her is beautiful. Accompanied by only a tabla, harmonium and basic keyboard. It is my go-to song for many moods. It allows me to revisit childhood nostalgia but with a cushion of difference and connect to the present so the visit is more to a tempered nostalgia.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  6. Rihana

Been humming this song the past weekend. Remembered it when it played after another song on youtube autoplay. Koi gaata main so jaata by Yesudas from the movie Alaap. Listening to it can calm any storm raging in mind, heart, life or outside.

Might not strictly be a lullaby as in to put a child to sleep, but is all about falling into blissful slumber when someone sang with love. The poem is by the esteemed Hindi poet Harivansh Rai Bachchan. For movie and Bollywood history buffs, here is a picture of Yesudas and Harivansh Rai Bachchan taken during the recording of the song.

The song has to be listened and savored by the ear, line by line. The pure Hindi of the words with none of the usual Urdu words thrown in brings a different kind of "Bharatiya" charm to the song. Yesudas has done full credit to it. Amitabh too. Couldn't find any translation of the lyrics on the internet. One good day I will contribute. : )

7. Cheeniya

@Rihana
    Why haven't you made any mention of Sanjeev Kumar who has added his own bit to make this song immortal? Watch his lips keeping pace with the song!

8. Cheeniya

@Rihana
    No one ever played greater tribute to Saigal than Radio Ceylon which always ended the 7.30 a.m. programme of old Hindi songs with a Saigal item.
    'main kya janu kya jadu hai' is one of my top favourites.

9. Jaysree

Jaysree IL Hall of Fame

10. Jaysree

Jaysree IL Hall of Fame