1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lucky Boy - Shanthi Sekaran

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by whistle, Feb 10, 2017.

1. whistle

whistle Silver IL'ite

Haven't read this book, but seems like a compelling read and a recommendation for the book club. With immigration being a hot topic and indian author / character in the book.

Here is a reviewer from GoodReads ( without spoilers ):

Kayva had moved to Berkeley eighteen years earlier for college. She graduated,
    traveled, became a chef, and married Rishi. After nine months of trying to get pregnant with no success -they were looking into adoption. Their plans took a detour when they became foster parents to a little boy - a toddler named Ignacio. They hoped to adopt him.

Solimar Castro Valdez makes plans to meet her cousin in Berkeley. She needs to make it across the border from Mexico. Her cousin tells her that she has a place to stay and a job for her when she arrives. The journey is traumatic. Soli arrives in bad shape -- filthy- exhausted - abused - and pregnant. Against all advice from her cousin-- she refuses to abort the baby. She wants to keep her child.

Problems and struggles increase. Soli is an illegal immigrant and she is in a detention center facility about to be deported back to Mexico. She wants her child.

Two mothers love Ignacio. Two mothers want him as their permanent son. Issues get raised - lives intersect.

This story is EXCELLENT. It's also sad - and frustrating. It's easy to see that there is no easy answer. Many immigrant children face uncertain futures --- and its no different for Ignacio.

I don't want to give this story away --but it will pull at your heartstrings--as it's easy to see all points of view -- all in the name of Love.

2. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @whistle for recommending this book, the review is quite intriguing. I have added it to my to-read list... hope I can get a copy soon.

whistle likes this.