1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

LPG gas fear

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by anitharoy, May 23, 2010.

1. anitharoy

anitharoy Junior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I am very afraid of cooking gas. the reason is because my mom has warned me in my early age that i should not go near the gas else it will explode. I have not done any cooking until i got married.

My husband was very co-operative. He taught me how to cook in Lpg and all was fine for 3 years. Then my mom again made me afraid saying that do not go in to the kitchen once you keep your cooker on as the cookers will explode. Also, she told me of many instances of rice cookers explosions.

That is the start of my fear. I will keep the cooker and never go inside until three whistle came and then i will go and switch of the gas. The thing is that now my initial fear came in and i fear to go near the gas stove.

I do not know what to do.i told my husband about this but this time. he is not co-operative. i am in tears and i even thought of cutting relationship with my mother. i am now not able to cook properly. i am very afraid. pls help friends what to do about this.

2. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very warm welcome to IndusLadies, Anitha,

Every mother will always warn their children to be careful while working on the LPG stove, cooker........generally working in the kitchen itself.
    The cooker will explode only if the vent is not properly cleaned and the pressure is not released but is trapped inside the cooker itself, then it will explode. You must clean the cooker's vent, weight and the casket properly and check each time you are going to cook in it. Buy a good brand one and service it regularly till you are confident to handle it by yourself.
    Now the LPG.......again you must check your gas connection tube very regularly and also the also ask the delivery man to check the gas cylinder's top portion, he will remove the safety covering and then check if the small casket inside the cylinder is correct.
    Lastly if you get any gas smell then you must not panic and just switch off the gas and close the cylinder and open all the doors and windows of your house.
    Do not get scared, these gadgets if used properly, help us to cook quickly and also help you to enjoy your cooking.
    Shanta

3. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi!

There is absolutely no need to be scared of cooking in gas stove. Only if there is any problem in the cooker safety valve, there are chances of cooker creating a problem.

Nowadays children who are 15+ do petty cooking work and slowly learn. Hence go ahead and be bold in entering the kitchen even when the gas is on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

All branded pressure cookers have to conform to either international or Indian standards for pressure cooker. Almost all have three levels of safety. Even in improper use they are designed to be safe. If carefully used as per instructions they are absolutely safe.

All standard gas stoves and the cylinders of LPG sold in India have to conform to ISI standards. Again if used as per instructions they are safe.

It is unfortunate that at an impressionable age your mother out of good intentions but rather irrationally put these fears in your mind. Spend some time on the internet and get to know how these devices are safe to use. I am sure that your mother herself was using these for cooking and nothing much happened in all these years.

http://220.156.189.23:8080/beeLabel/Schedules/Schedule-9.pdf
    Pressure Cooker Buying Guide | Pressure Cooker Brands, Prices, Reviews in India | India Home Tips

Arunadhri

5. anitharoy

anitharoy Junior IL'ite

thank u all for your concern friends.

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You could also switch to an electric cooktop and now there are programmable electric pressure cookers. A lot of dishes can also be make in an electric rice cooker.

I would be very careful in listening to your mom in future. For some reason, some people are alarmists or worse for motivations that may be too complicated to understand. But don't let them give you bad advice in many areas and worse yet, make you scared of life. Life is an adventure, not a terror so don't lose you happiness in life due to someone who has lost theirs.