1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Low iron level

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Riyasmommy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi all, recently I was diagnosed with low Ferretin level in my blood (anemia). My doctor has prescribed me iron supplements. I know I should add more fiber to my diet so I don't get constipated. Are there any other tips you may have that can help me?

Thanks
    Raj

Admin Note: Here are few article and relevant discussions related to Anemia. Make sure you check them out..

Beat Anemia with Healthy Food
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h...44-anemic-how-increase-haemoglobin-level.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/130623-vegetarian-iron-rich-foods.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/123980-iron-rich-foods.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/130623-vegetarian-iron-rich-foods-2.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h...40-please-suugest-foods-reduce-anaemia-1.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Raj, I used to take iron supplements during pregnancy and I was constipated. What helped me was a daily drink of Tropicana Grovestand oranje juice. The nutrition label reads zero Fiber, but it somehow helped. (Prune juice etc did not).

3. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi Raj,
    I did undergo same problem few months back. I did take supplement but plant based not animal based .
    Thanks
    Mangai

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I'm uploading the doc

Attached Files:

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Sindhu, I drink Simply Orange High Pulp, hopefully that should help then. I maybe wrong but prune is again high in iron, so that may be why it wasn't helping you?... just wondering.

Mangaii, what do you mean by 'plant based supplement'. You didn't take pills? If the answer is in that PDF doc, then ignore this question. I haven't opened it yet. I will soon, right now my dog is scratching on the baby's door. He wants her to wake up from her nap. Grrr!!! Sorry, out of topic. :)

Thanks for replying back, you guys.

Raj

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  6. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Raj,

Back in India, i have seen many having dates for improving the iron level ,also its loaded with fibre so i think it will help u in relieving Constipation too.

Meanwhile u can also have dry figs soaked in Warm water the previous night and have it first thing in the morning on an Empty stomach. These are some home remedies i know for ur problem

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Its good to take iron with meals to cushion the stomach. Warm prune juice mixed with orange juice is effective against constipation. You might also ask the doctor about a stool softener. It is NOT a laxative and is made from vegetable products. Non habit forming.

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I was diagnosed to have a very dangerously low level 6.5, 5 months back

This is what I did.. I am 13.5 now ;-)

(1) Religiously take dates with milk early morning.
    (2) Spinach every other day in the afternoons
    (3) Slow-fe daily after breakfast
    (4) One big glass of orange juice after breakfast usually with slow-fe
    (5) when not talking spinach, it was brocolli, I hated it, but it helped me a lot.. now I love it :mrgreen:

And fruits whenever I liked not regular thou.

I am still following my ritual ;-)

9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Nandu, Vaidehi and Tina.

I love dates, so I'll give them a try. How much did you take in a day? In the US, where would you buy your dates from? For occasional snacking, I get the SumMaid brand, but they are not cheap for daily use.

I love spinach and broccoli too. In fact, I had some broccoli today for dinner. :thumbsup

Tina, I would rather not go to the doc for a stool softener. I don't really trust those pills, or the doctors with some of the things that I can manage easily on my own.

Raj

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Mangaii, thanks tons for the document. Very informative! I am going to print it put it on my refrigerator.

Raj