1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Low BP and Back pain : 8 wks, help

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by manisha.sanjay, Jan 10, 2008.

1. manisha.sanjay

manisha.sanjay Gold IL'ite

hello friends i m again with my queries.Pl, don't get bore but sitting here away frm parents,relatives u r all just like them soooooooooo.
    As i said i m in my 8 week pregnancy n i hve some queries,
    1) In this forum i have read abt eating curd rice n taking buttermilk.I also like this stuff
    but here it is very cold n i have some cough problem also so can i take curd n
    buttermilk.
    2) 2 days bfore i got my weekly checkup n Dr. said my BP is low so increase my salt
    intake but i m not understanding how to do it.
    3) I have lot of back pain,what to do to get rid of it.

thanku,
    manisha

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Re: helpppppppppp

Hi manisha,

Dont worry about the questions, its better to ask than keeping it in the head.
    And I always feel forum is a best place to exchange ideas. Well let me type down something about what I can answer to your questions:

In this forum i have read abt eating curd rice n taking buttermilk.I also like this stuff but here it is very cold n i have some cough problem also so can i take curd n buttermilk.

-- Dont overeat curd or buttermilk but yes its very good for digestive system. The more the winter conditions, actually our body gets dry, hence curd or buttermilk is good. But dont take it chilled or directly from the fridge. Keep it outside for sometime. I normally drink buttermilk once a day, give to my husband's lunch by making buttermilk, adding a pinch of salt and asafoedita. This helps in digestion and keeping the body cool.
    However if you have extreme cold and cough, wait till you get back to normal.

2 days bfore i got my weekly checkup n Dr. said my BP is low so increase my salt
    intake but i m not understanding how to do it.
    -- Low blood pressure is very annoying. Becoz we feel dizzy and might faint also. We cant increase the salt intake in the food. but you can take salted biscuits. Normally towrds the end of second trimester, we are advised to cut down on salt intake becoz BP increases and high BP leads to a lot of complications. Also more salt could increase the possibility of water retention and hence feet gets swollen.
    My BP was very low till the second trimester and now its in the normal range.That time even I was very worried, but now I feel its ok rather than having high BP. As high BP leads to lot of labor complications.

I have lot of back pain,what to do to get rid of it.
    --Back pain at this weeks is mainly due to the changing hormones unless you are in the overweight range. If not, there is nothing to worry about. You can try applying oil and warm water bath. Even I had this back pain during the early stages which I felt as too much. Now at 35 weeks, the kind of back pain has increased many times, so now I understand that was all nothing :queen
    Try some relaxation exercises and ask your husband to massage gently. Some technique should work.
    Also check if its the mattress causing the trouble.
    The kind of spring mattress we have here gives me back ache and hence we sleep on the sofa cum bed which is of harder surface.

Take care and all the best.

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear manisha,
    ptamil has given good reply to all ur quries.
    regarding buttermilk, i can suggest , u daily set the curd & make fresh buttermilk.
    also, another way of eating curd in cold season, which personally i find good is as follow.heat little oil in pan .add cumin & when they start to spitter add daniya powder & pinch of tarmaric.put off the gas & add curd .keep on stirring.add salt & if u like some chopped green chillies & corinder.eat it when it is still little warm.
    i am in my 22 week & my BP is 90/50.quite on low side but as ptamil pointed out it is better to have low BP than higher .it is better not to increase salt intake as taking high salt may increase ur BP by 2nd trimester.but if the doc say so maybe u can try for some days.also ,keep a bowl of unsalted nuts near u ,which may help to give energy when u feel little dizzy from low BP.
    back pain may go after few weeks.try to sleep on left with a pillow between ur legs .
    it may help.
    take care
    pragati

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Dear Manisha, I agree with both pavithra and pragati. To tell you the truth even when i have cold i eat curd rice (or rather yogurt diluted). but as pragati says you can have it like a lassi. i don't think there's any adverse effect if one eats yogurt in cold season. the cough problem (which i too have in winter) is mainly coz of dry weather and you need to drink more water (warm water) to combat that. as for BP i had low bp thro'out my first pregnancy and the doc also said it's better than having high BP. but ofcourse if you feel dizzy or faint then you might need some medication. As for high salt intake i think even in general our indian cuisine has more salt compared to the bland western foods. i don't feel you can diligently increase salt content in your daily diet. for low BP my gyn says (i'm pregnant now with second baby) that walking is best. she infact recommended not to go over-board on salt even when one has low BP coz during pregnancy your body reacts to anything fast and you don't want to end up with high BP. Latha

5. manisha.sanjay

manisha.sanjay Gold IL'ite

hello friends,
    thanku so much for all ur replies.i m happy that i can take buttermilk as i like it n in this periods its good to eat food which v like n can get easily digested.
    On salt intake....this is my second pregnancy n as u all said in my first pregnancy my BP was normal but my weight was increasing lot n so I have to eat food almost without salt n in last timester my legs were also swelling.hope till i complete my 1 trimester my BP will b O.K.
    once again thanks for ur replies.

manisha

6. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

According to Ayurveda, one should not have curds in the night in any season. It allows water to accumlate in the lungs. In the afternoon, have it all you want. It enables digestion.

Ayurvedic Foods -- Yogurt