1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Loveless, sexless marriages and EMA

Discussion in 'Intimacy' started by MaritalBliss, Feb 5, 2013.

1. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

lol, if this is 'termed' so, then yes!

2. SaleemaRex

SaleemaRex Gold IL'ite

In such a case, husband and wife should work on their relationship to make it better; for the reasons that makes divorce not an option for them.

If that doesn't work and ...

- if there is no way to bring back or cultivate love for the other and
    - if divorce is not an option and
    - if husband or wife wants to have an affair

then I think he/she should let their spouse know their intention, of having an affair. This will give their spouse an opportunity to comes to terms with it (& maybe even an EMA themselves) or opt for divorce if divorce in that scenario is a better option for them.

Anyway having an EMA behind a spouse's back is wrong, there is no justification IMO.

1 person likes this.
  3. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

One of them must relent and work to be together.... Marriages cannot go on like this !!

4. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Not saying for creating an uproar....but I feel yes. I dont remember exactly but there was one situation in IL and i really felt bad for the lady. I thought it was justified. If one does not mess with a married man's life, i think its still bearable. Now im talking about the extreme cases where husband not at all interested in wife...yet wont divorce. What shd the lady do...take sanyaas?

6 people like this.
  5. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

it is better for a child to grow with a single parent than to grow in a broken home....

4 people like this.
  6. happymomblore

happymomblore Senior IL'ite

God sake, I feel these things be left to the individuals and let them do what they feel right in their discretion...so they are sure of the consequences later...U know ur life better than anyone else...

4 people like this.
  7. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

I do not think an EMA is pre-planned. No one single or married ACTIVELY seeks an affair (emotional or physical). Infidelity happens and under circumstances such as a loveless, sexless or abusive relationship, it becomes very challenging to disconnect a satisfying EMA as there is nothing else to connect to. When there is a vacuum, human tendency is to fill this gap.

6 people like this.
  8. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

I think this is a selfish thing to say by the women because they know that kids will most likely stay with her unless the guy is a heartless jerk unconcerned about what's best for his kids (in the general case). But from a kid's point of view it's devastating.

Most people here seem to think that kids have no stake in the marriage. I think they are big stakeholders and have more to lose than the spouses, if you ask me. If I had my way, I will give kids (upto the age of 21) a veto in this matter :)

8 people like this.
  9. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

Well...No

Especially if you are staying together for your kids. You cannot hide a lot from kids. They will start noticing and they might think that it is okay to be married to someone and be attached to someone else. This shatters the concept of love and marriage so early in their life.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As more and more children from divorced families reach adulthood, studies of these children (now adults) are beginning to show that the above could very well be a myth. Propagated to ease the guilt divorcing parents might feel for the havoc they wreak on their children.

There are cases like physical abuse or a continuing EMA where continuing the marriage might not be feasible, but if not, parents owe it to the children to stay in the marriage at least till the kids are off to college. Two people in a loveless and sexless marriage can still be good parents and provide a fairly stable home for the kids.

Some might say that the parents will set a bad example for the kids by staying in such a marriage.... well, maybe it'll actually be a good example to the kids of putting your kids' needs ahead of yours and remaining civil to partner. Kids might appreciate what their parents did once they are adults.

10 people like this.