1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Loveless marriages - Why we continue?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Suhasini123, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Suhasini123

Suhasini123 Senior IL'ite

Dear friends,

Yesterday, we friends (all are girls from south Asia) happened to discuss about the reality of marriage. Most of my friends said, it is very common that love dies when you grow earlier. There is no emotional attachment between spouces, rather many women (sometimes men) stuck in their marriage for the sake of their kids or society. Most of them indeed repent for their marriage after knowing the true colour of their partner, and try to engage with some other stuff (making friends, hobbies, money making etc..)to live their rest of the life peacefully.

Just curious to know why do ladies (some times men) prefer to stick in a loveless marriage for long time for the sake of others, namely for their kids, society, parents etc... In some cases, the spouces do not talk to each other anymore, do not sleep in the same bed room etc... But still live under the same roof. Why and how?

Leaving my curiosity aside, I wonder how does a marriage become as a loveless marriage after sometimes? I have seen many couples, specially in this forum complain that there are no emotional connection between the spouces for long time and hence they find some emotional supports out of their wedlock.

I have seen many men who prefer to spend more times with their unknown online friends rather than talking to their loving wife.. Many ladies, who have close emotional connections with their colleagues, friends than their husbands. Most of them tend to have relationships with someone who is from the opposite sex and somehow manage to satisfy their emotional needs. This often brings more issues in their family life and hence they completely detach from their spouces.

Coming to my question above... What takes the love out from the marriage? Why do spouces prefer to continue in a loveless marriage? Why do they attempt to find an emotional support from outside rather than fixing their marriage at the first place?

Looking forward to seeing your comments/responses! Thanks!!!

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The famous advice columnist Ann Landers often gave this advice to people asking if they should continue in a marriage or go for a divorce:

"Are you better off with him or without him?"

My guess is that the women/men ask themselves this question, factor in all aspects, and decide to continue in the relationship. Another possibility is that things are not as bad as they claim they are.

3. HelpMe

HelpMe New IL'ite

Hi,

I think the answer to what you ask is pretty much in ur question itsef. People continue in a loveless marriage either for the sake of society or kids. Many people who opt for divorce/seperation are because of 2 reasons i feel - the spouse abuses them or the has had an affair.

The other reason, lack of conectivetiy or no communication, difference of opinions, interests are all also viable reason but when people with such issues think of their kids or of society they decide to stay in it and give it a try and try to correct it. But I belive that who you are can never chagne and no matter how much you try to "fix" things it might end up only being temporary and things eventually fall back to how they were.

4. mrsfrank

mrsfrank New IL'ite

In case the relationship is not too abusive or if there are no infidelity issues, then couples continue even if there is not much love left, for the sake of kids and their upbringing. See, it is we (the couple) who decide to bring in the kids to this world. In other words, it is a joint responsibility to provide a decent home for them until they can be on their own. Half way thru, it will not be fair on our part to just separate the kids from either of his/her parents.

Of course, in circumstances or families where the children are better off living with a single parent rather than a living hell of a home, separation is definitely justified. But (according to me), I have no right to separate my kids and leave, especially when they love their dad so much. So I endure a loveless relationship for the sake of my kids. Of course this is my opinion only.

Just off the record, I respect the vows I made during my marriage - "we will remain husband and wife, in sickness or in health, in poverty or prosperity, till death do us apart." Rather, from childhood, I have seen elders being bound by these vows that it is rather difficult to think otherwise.

5. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Most of us continue in loveless marriages due to absense of no other alternatives . It is impossible to imagine going for a divorce, remarriage , easily in our society where arranged marriages are the norm. It is a difficult task to get married once after matching 101 irrelevant things that the issues (personal preferences ) that do matter are brushed aside.
    Apart from all this the lengthy process of divorce and the related merry-go-round deters a woman from going ahead unless she is supported by her family. The men continue staying in their familiar world whereas the woman is uprooted and has to face adverse circumstances unless she is working. The trauma caused to the kids is immense and the mom tries her best to give them a secure home and stays back.
    Middleaged housewifes in loveless marriages generally continue to mend, darn their marriages unless the DH takes the first step and applies for a divorce.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. mrsfrank

mrsfrank New IL'ite

Very true, flowerlady! I agree with you totally.

7. Ranise

Ranise Junior IL'ite

I think once you have kids the decision to separate becomes difficult. One starts looking at the pros and cons of separation.

I have a friend who is going thru a difficult marriage, they started having differences from after the kid was born, when the kid was about an year old she even walked out of the house and went to her parents place. But shortly she realized how difficult it would be to bring up the child single handedly - the social stigma associated with it. The one positive aspect here was that her husband was very good with the kid and hence she also felt it was better to live under the same roof and put up with him, rather than depriving the kid of one of their love.

Now its been about 2 years since that incident, outsiders will not be able to make out that there is problem between them, he dearly loves the kid - takes care of the morning chores for the kid and makes him ready for school, takes the kid for evening walks etc. But the relationship between them is as cold as it was then. My friend says she looks at as the best solution she could have come up.

So, as Rihana quoted the key question is

"Are you better off with him or without him?

Regards
    Rani

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Why some people continue?

Inspite of no love - then "Practical considerations".

Its a different story if there IS love, but still differences, then it is tricky but can be made to work. There surely is love and affection, but practical differences exist and need to be worked out. Thats a different situation. Still a tough one to navigate, but can be done, and needs a LOT of WORK to be put in. Its still a better situation to be in than one where there is fundamental lack of love and affection.

9. Suhasini123

Hi Rihana,

This is indeed a wonderful question for those who continue in a loveless marriage.

"Are you better off with him or without him?"

Like you, I also have a feeling that things are not that worst as many of them claims so... And that may be the reason they still continue in the marriage, ofcourse with some compromises!

Thanks for the response!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  10. Suhasini123

Hi Helpme,

Yes, people continue in a loveless marriage either for the sake of their kids or community... This do happen since beginning, but my question is why do they continue for the sake of others? Why do they spoil their entire life in a marriage hell for others? and is it worth doing so - I mean, will their kids get a nice home/ nice parenthood love out of a loveless marriage?

In many cases, either the husband or wife engage with some external affairs to satisfy their emotional or physical needs (mostly emotional needs, as the external affairs starts in the form of friendship with the opposite sex), as they do not get any love from their spouse. So they ultimately ruin their own life as well as their social reputations. At the same time, they put their kids in a deliemma! This is just my openion!