Loved to cook - 1. Soft chapati

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Nimiy, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Nimiy

Nimiy Bronze IL'ite

Hi all indusladies

I'm very poor in cooking, rarely enter in to kitchen, but im v.good in tasting any recipe.
    Today morning i had a chances to cook for my family and guest. I made chapati and potato curry. It comes very badly. everyone start to tease me named it as "Rubber chapati", serve with scissor, etc. I got a lot of advice like add more water, milk etc .I felt a shame, such a sad day. Now Im feared to enter in to kitchen now.

Hence I decided to start learn some easy recipes with the help of you all and expecting your support

first of all tell me -
    * How to make a soft chapati?
    * Is there any special ingredients added with wheat before grinding? some recommended to add soya beans

Ingredients to be added please give me the proportions

to make 10 chapati

wheat flour - 2 cups
    water- ____ cups
    milk- _____ cups
    salt- ____ spoon
    oil-______ spoon
    ___?
    ___?

TIme to wait -___

Any special tip to make it soft please share with me from your experience .

Thanks in advance

With Expects

2. vidhsn

vidhsn Silver IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  3. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Nimiy,

When it comes to saying recipe, am very bad in saying the quantity.. Because, I dont measure just add as per my instincts and it comes out good(Am not a good experienced cook), but only that works.. And i dont use spoons to add salt, i feel that using hands make u know the quantity u r adding(dunno how far its advised to use hands while cooking)..

4. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

I can give u some ideas i use for chapati making..

I dont have any idea abt grinding wheat, since i use Ashirvad / Pillsbury flour.

While kneading the dough add boiled water and oil. Add water little by little so that it wont exceed.. I have seen some people using a tsp of sugar while kneading along with salt.. Leave the dough atleast for 1/2hr before making chapati..

1 person likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I dont use oil nor salt..

as vidsn says go through the tips http://www.indusladies.com/forums/ask-chitvish/554-tips-tips-tips-4.html#post2744 and also there was another thread on chappathi making here..i will find the link later

and the amount of water depends on the quality of the flour.. some absorb more water while others don't..

i don't use milk..i just make my dougth with warm water... but add water slowly incorporating it into the flour...

I mill my own multigrain flour.
    2kg wheat
    200 gms of soya , barley, roasted chana, oats..
    100 gms of ragi, jowar .

3 people like this.
  6. Nimiy

Nimiy Bronze IL'ite

Hi vidhsn and shanvy
    thanks for your sudden reply and suggestion . I referred before i post this thread but I confused, don't know how and where to land exactly.
    I referred the pages that you had mentioned. It contains index of lot dishes,will be useful. thanks a lot.

I did nt get that page. A v-bulletin message appeared like this

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.
    I request you to refer once again (I refered square paratha to layered paratha)

I have one question.

What is paratha? Is this the other name of chapati?

7. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

While kneading the dough must keep in mind that u keep on kneading til the dough is soft, kneading really helps in making soft chapati, as in the case of baking, the more u whisk the fluffy the recipe wud be, similarly here.. The more u knead the softer wud be the rotis!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Nimiy

Nimiy Bronze IL'ite

Hi sowmya and shanvy
    Thanks for sharing your valuable tips, I noted this in my recipe book, soon I will reply you about the result.]
    Thank you:hiya

9. jananirajan

jananirajan Junior IL'ite

I too go with 6teenpearls..kneading is more important to make soft rotis.. Just water n salt to the. Atta its more enough.. My personal opinion use Pillsbury gold Atta to make softer rotis

10. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

hi

Since you are new to cooking i would suggest you to go to you tube and watch video before you do any thing.. so that you get idea of how the end product would be .. watching video will help you a lot

Paratha is a roti stuffed with Aloo or any veg of your choice