1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love or being Loved

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rajmiarun, May 1, 2008.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

I had always wondered about this particular topic; one of my friends had lots of fan following, especially boys, she is not a beauty queen, but she is very presentable and is admired by all for the way she carried herself. I had personally learnt so many things from her right from dressing sense. She was not a class topper, but one could discuss anything with her and if she didnot know the answer, she will learn it and pass on the answer to us.

But this particular lady, fell into a dilemma......:crazy yes she really went crazy, by thinking, thinking and rethinking about one particular thing. Even before she finished her post graduation, she got proposals from one of her(our) friends. And to most of our amazement, she was secretly admiring one of another friend for a very long time. But that friend have such ideas about her. But when he refused, she was so shocked and she wanted to make sure that he accepts her love. But he was also so strong in his ideas, as he wants to go abroad for further studies and ....... But this other person who proposed, didnot stop there, (he was a bit senior to us and was already earning a 5 digit salary, I am talking about 10 years back), asked his parents to talk to my friend's parents and they too liked each other.

She had to decide upon whether to proceed with the person who loves her or whom she loves. But atlast she have to accept the love of the person who loved her. She is now happily married and doesnot think of the past,(lucky her her DH also not talk about the past), blessed happily with two kids.

But still I keep pondering, whether everyone is married to the person who have loved them or who they have loved. On personal instropection, (ours is an arranged marriage) we learnt to love each other and we have learnt to accept each other as we are. But I still see many people fret over the fact that they should have married that person whom they have loved and not the person who they are living with.

I wanted to write about this topic, as we both met each other after a very long time and we both discussed about the title Love or being Loved and she agreed that it is better to marry the person who loves you than to marry the person whom you love.

2. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

hi,

I dont agree with "marry a person who loves you instead of a person whom you love". What if the other person also thinks alike :(

Love has to be both ways. One way entry though if it ends in marriage will be a compromise later,
    This is my personal opinion.

3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear happywoman,
    Thanks for your prompt reply. As I have written in my post, my personal opinion matches with yours. Love have to be both ways. We both have learnt to love each other and have learnt to accept each other as we are. I agree, that love has to be both ways. But let us wait for more people to put in their views too. It is my friend's opinion that it is better tomarry a person who loves you, it is not mine. I vote for mutual love and understanding, whether it is a love or arranged marriage.

4. Ranganayaki

Ranganayaki New IL'ite

hi Rajmiarun,

Good topic to ponder about.

I do not diasgree with the thought.

I guess I was lucky, we chose each other, wasn't completely arranged marriage, so it wouldn't be the case you narrated.

Yet, in your friend's case, I am glad that she accepted him and his love. Afterall isn't acceptance a form a love itself ?!

Ranganayaki :)

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Dear Rajmi,
    Thats quite a relevant topic. The mind and hormones and everything else in our body yearns to choose the person we love, but I feel you should choose the person who loves you over the one who you love, because you can grow to love the person who loves you, but you can never make someone to truly love you, when he doesn't.

Again like you mine is arranged. So I have not been in this scenario exactly, but can completely be on your friend's shoes and imagine.

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rajmi
    Very interesting topic.. Its always nice to see people's take on such diverse topics.. The replies you are getting are also very interesting to read.. If your friend is of that opinion it only shows that she has made it work.. I wasn in that position so dont know what to say.. I think a marraige works if both the spouses love each other only.. just my 2 cents.. Hope you find more time to Keep blogin:)

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rajmi
    Whether it is love marriage or arranged. I believe that it is good to marry a person who loves you. Ya in the beginning it might not work out so well. but when the other person is loving you so much automaticully you start loving, You need to have a little bit of understanding but I feel these marriages are more successful. This is according to me........
    Especially in the arranged marriage. Where there is love betweent both the partners it gradually increases right.

8. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Ranganayaki,
    Thanks for your comments. She leant to love him and now leading a very happy life. She is now regretting in not accepting his love initially. But now she is showering all her love and he is in the recieving end. It was a very nice scence to see both of them pampering each other.

9. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Meenloch,
    Even in arranged marriages, you have a chance to choose the person of your choice; the option is given to girls also now a days. But many a times, many girls are forced into marriages. Though they learn to love and accept, they regret deep in their heart.

I have to write another blog on that about the experience of another friend of mine. Will compile it and post it soon.

10. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    This was something, I wanted to post all day long as soon as me and my friend met. Infact out of the very few friends I have she is sort of close to me, just because we both have always been working together on projects and helping each other out. Though now she have become a full time homemaker, she have never regretted that. She loves her family to the core and now, they both are real good pair. It had been almost a decade and she is been admired by all in her family and relatives circle. I felt happy that she really took the right decision