1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love and Big Bear Hugs

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Love and Big Bear Hugs

The usual ending to a letter to a near and dear one. And something we do without giving it a second thought. The phrase expresses a lot of emotional warmth, a special feeling of closeness and affection which cuts across age and gender lines.

I recently read an article about the beneficial effects of hugging. Studies have reported that hugging releases the ‘feel good’ hormone called Oxytocin. Apparently, hugging is also known to reduce blood pressure.

Climbing the corporate ladder is an exhausting and isolating exercise. Human relations fall by the wayside. Health issues are a natural outcome for the urban population. In the race to achieve targets, our minds rule our hearts, the Anahata, the seat of balance and the reservoir that holds our emotions. The heart is associated with love and compassion, and even healing.

Imagine the warm and indescribable(read ‘fuzzy’) feeling when a child runs to you and gives you an unselfconscious hug! A sensation of joy and well-being permeates the body. A spontaneous hug is a gesture of caring, the warmth that flows from the other person even has a therapeutic effect. It shows us that we need to be needed.

Research in the field of psychology has shown that one needs at least eight sincere hugs a day! Hugging a child is a way of giving nourishment to the little one. It is food for the soul. It makes them feel wanted and teaches them the power of love.

Pat Gates, an anchor with the ‘Voice of America’ in the late sixties, would sign off with “If you meet someone without a smile, give him/her one of yours!” I would like to borrow her line and say, “If you see someone feeling low and down, give them a Big Bear Hug!”

LnBBHs - what a lovely way to sign off!

Padma Srinivas

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009

2. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

padma...very sweet topic you posted here and also at the right time when Valentines Day is around the corner....

yes indeed i am also in need of some big beary hugs.. :)

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Padumma
    Just when I thought its not possible to come up with anymore innovative topics that help bring a smile to the reader and even help spruce up one's life.. you just did it!!!

Well said about the impact these smiles and hugs would do the receiver.:p

Even an ordinary day brightens more with smiles that are received and hugs adorned on one's shoulders. :tongue

You know these genuine and loving gestures dont cost anything but the sincere need to reach out and touch someone and make a difference in their lives.;-)

With special love and big bear hugs:mrgreen:
    chitra
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear padma.
    Your post reminds me of Vasool raja MBBS -kattipadi vaithiyam. Yes it is nice to hug & if our hugs brings joy what more do we need.
    Great Post
    May God bless you.
    Jaya

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear padma,

i too remembered munnabhai and his jaadhu ki chappi..

hey must remember the magical no 8..am just trying to inculcate in dd the habit of drinking 8 glasses of water..now must tell her that one needs to give and receive at least 8 bear hugs...haha padma i can almost imagine her answer,Big Laughat her age it is bound to be ,where u read all this,amma?

hey but heres to you,lots and lots of love and bear hugs...
    Mindi

6. Padmasrinivas

Dear Haasinii,

Thank for a very sweet first fb!

Actually, it never occurred to me about Valentine's Day being round the corner, I must thank you for reminding me!

HERE'S A BIG BEAR HUG FROM ME, Haasinii dear!

Lotsa luv,
    Padma

7. Padmasrinivas

Dearest Chitumma,

Your warm words of appreciation make me glow with pleasure!

"Just when I thought its not possible to come up with anymore innovative topics that help bring a smile to the reader and even help spruce up one's life.. you just did it!!!"

What a special way of expressing your appreciation!

"Well said about the impact these smiles and hugs would do the receiver.[​IMG]

Even an ordinary day brightens more with smiles that are received and hugs adorned on one's shoulders. [​IMG]

You know these genuine and loving gestures dont cost anything but the sincere need to reach out and touch someone and make a difference in their lives.[​IMG]"

Agree 200% or more with each and every sentiment there.
    Simple gestures that go a long way in brightening someone's day!

HUGE BEAR HUGS FROM ME, dear Chitumma,

Lots ans lots of love,
    Padumma

8. Padmasrinivas

Dear Jaya,

Munnabhai or Vasool Raja did indeed put the finger on the right sentiment...

We do forget the little gestures that bring a smile to one's heart!

Thanks for stopping by with your fb, Jaya dear,

WARM BEARY HUGS TO YOU,

Love,

Padma

9. Padmasrinivas

Dear Mindi,

Yes, Oh Yes, I too must remember this, so far 7 has been my magical number. Must add one more and get into the habit....

Tell your DD what a wonderful place IL is, to meet and vibe and pick up new ideas... Guess she already knows...

SO HERE'S MY QUOTA OF 8 BIIIIG BEAR HUGS,

Lovya,
    Padma

10. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear RS,

Hugs are so very important for growth mentally, physically and emotionally.

It is a myth that children shouldnt be held much as infants as it restricts growth. Infact the more you hold them,comfort them, hug them, the better they grow.

And hugging is a way of showing love and isnt love the most essential need of every living creature? Be it man ,animal or even plants. Even animals and plants grow better with a loving touch.

Good post RS. We do share a lot of BBhs dont we??

Love n bbhs
    Devs