1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love – Only on Valentine’s Day???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Scorpio707, Jan 30, 2015.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I have never been carried away by valentine's day or for that matter Father's day or Mothers day and other hallmark days. Like you, I believe instead of going overboard on one way, we should make our loved one feel special any day.

In the beginning of our relationship, my husband did not want to disappoint me but I have made it clear that I am not into all this. In fact I am not even that excited about my birthday anymore. I think the fact of him having no pressure from me makes it even better when he does sweet things.

I remember the valentine's day two years ago fondly. I was expecting and it was a special time. My husband had some flowers delivered which I had no idea. When he got notification that it was delivered, he waited for me to call him. But when he did not get a call back, he called me to ask if I received any package. I said no and he made me go and check outside the door. It so happened that the package was delivered and my mom who was at home took it and kept aside. She did not think much as I always order stuff online. Finally I opened and there was the most beautiful roses with a lovely note.

He did say though that it was for his "Amma" (my mom) and me :). Instead of going overboard every year on valentine's day, that was a special time and special feeling that I cherish.

2 people like this.
  2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Scorpio,

Nice to know this scorpion doesn't sting and instead returns love as and when it is necessary without waiting for any special appointed day. What can be done now should be done as tomorrow may never happen!

I agree! Especially at my age, it sure makes sense!!

All the same, with time, I have come to enjoy all these so called Hallmark days! True it has become a marketing strategy and also becomes a little distasteful when heart shaped diamonds start appearing on the market!! I can only imagine how the pompous must be showing off how big or expensive their gifts are while others must be feeling bad that all they got was a colorful card!

But if we can step away from these petty minded people and enjoy a lovingly made card by your son or daughter (in my case a grandchild), just appreciate the extra measure a loved one took to show their affection with a chocolate, cooked a meal or just pick the phone to wish, it definitely adds a color to the day and heart!

When there is love in the heart, no Valentine, Mother or Father or even a Friendship day is necessary. We just know we are loved. All the same Scorpio, I don't mind getting that extra attention...What to do, I just go along with the tide!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  3. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Better to be bitten by the love bug than something else na :wink: it was nice knowing about your college valentine's day experience....so much happens right when your studying unlike life now which is so predictable...some days they were :)

4. Scorpio707

@sdiva20 - Hello, simple sweet gestures have such a lovely feeling right ?? wish you more such lovely moments with your hubby...thanks for your response...

5. Scorpio707

@Kamla - Thank you Kamla for stopping by and sharing your thoughts...it was a pleasure reading your response...and agree that "Love" can be shared in myriad ways, not just "this & that or" types...but sometimes what's the harm if we are made to be felt like a Queen...it just adds more fun :)

6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Scorpio
    Well said Scorpio! When your heart is brimming with love, every day s a Valentine's Day! People who celebrate Love on Valentine's Day miss it out presumably on the remaining 364 days! I remember an old song of Nat King Cole that goes like this:

What a day this has been!
    What a rare mood I'm in!
    Why, it's almost like being in love

There's a smile on my face
    For the whole human race
    Why it's almost like being in love!

This means that when you have a smile for the whole human race, that is Valentine's Day! We have never heard of this Day in my youth and yet we were in love! You say that apologising for a wrong and seeking forgiveness is an act of love. But I strongly subscribe to what the heroine says to the hero in Eric Sehgal's 'Love Story', 'Love means never having to say you are sorry'.

When I first encountered this dialogue in 1970, I considered it as the dumbest thing to say! But some four decades later, I understand and accept it with awe. I never expect anyone to say sorry to me no matter what they do to me. I now understand that sorry is a word that is totally alien to love.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Madam Scorpio,
    Very nice snippet on the eve of valentine's day.Totally agreed with what Shri Cheeniya has said.
    The four lettered word has no form or shape or size and comparable to God Almighty or Love is nothing but God,
    Present in the innocent smiles of the baby, in the strong words of the disciplinarian Amma, in the loud expression of commanding father, in the instructions of a strict teacher, the lust of human eyes, the pitiable eyes of a beggar,the wagging tail of a puppy longing for love, the merciful glances of a physician,the daunting task of the assistant attending on a mentally ill paient-even the fierceful glance of tiger is an expression of love to its cub.We see love in mountains, rivers, plants, fruits and flowers.There is not a single place unassociated with love.Love is pervading each and every nook and corner passing thro every nerve centre of all objects in the universe.

If we observe closely all our activities in life,even those done ( without good intentions) may have a tinge of love hidden somewhere, known to the doer alone.( I am not justifying crimes)

Jayasala 42

anbe shivam

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Scorpio,

The life would cease to exist if there is no love. We are here to share love and be loved. It is equivalent of the air we inhale. Everyday we long for love from our parents, spouse, siblings, friends, children and grandchildren and in order to get that we need to give love. There is no special day for love and everyday is there for us to give and feel love. It is not the spoken words or written cards but it is the little actions that demonstrates and make us feel it.

Human mind still gets very excited when we get a "Great Husband" card from the spouse, #1 Dad card from your child, etc. Similarly, when people put stickers that "Proud parents of a Medallion" or "Proud parents of a son serving the military", the children feel very proud. But these stickers mean nothing, if the parents don't back it up with their actions.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Scorpio,
    Yes, love is the basis of human existence. That is for sure. From the beginning of life to end we love some are loved by some. But if we demonstrate it on a particular day with a gift ,nothing wrong with it. It does not diminish love on other days. The receiver would be happy. Which wife would not be happy if husband gives a card and a box of chocolates ( it need not be diamonds) and tell her "I love you." and takes her to restaurant for dinner? It is not going to cost a fortune!
    Syamala

10. Scorpio707

@Cheeniya - Thank you so much for considering my post worth a read and responding...thrilled to have heard from you :) .