Lost That Divine Connection

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by shravs3, Aug 4, 2022.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

From childhood I used to daily bath in the morning and pray to God. Weekends were relaxed were I used to bath in the noon.

But somewhere during the pandemic I stopped doing puja regularly since my bath time got delayed maybe out of laziness??!

And then I got pregnant and during my 2nd trimester I completely stopped doing puja due to bed rest and so on…

Although I used to pray in my mind and listen to devotional songs, lighting lamps and doing puja were stopped.

After baby was born obviously due to sleepless nights I think I completely lost that connection to God.

I celebrated many festivals when I was in India but after coming back to US I am still not doing puja regularly.
    But I pray to God in my mind and visit temples.

I think I lost that connection with God. I feel I have no energy to wake up early and take bath and do puja like before.

I’m really not sure what’s wrong with me.
    Maybe because I built that habit during the pandemic.

Is it true that you are connected to God only if you do puja? If you just pray in mind is it not sufficient?

Ofcourse celebrating festivals are a different thing altogether.

But sometimes I feel guilty and also wonder what if my baby learns the same habit from me?
    What’s your opinion on this?

Going forward I have decided that I definitely want to break that habit and re start my daily rituals as much as possible.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can have a relationship with God in any way that is meaningful to you. If that means doing puja and saying slokam every day in front of the mandap then so be it. If you would rather just say your prayers in your mind and silently commune with your deity then that’s also okay.
    Do what comes naturally to you. As your baby grows and you all settle into more stable routines you can start your own new rituals with her.
    A lot of people have become burnt out and left feeling unmoored after more than 2 years of the pandemic. Hopefully things will get better as we all get back to some semblance of normalcy.

Thyagarajan, mangaii, Laks09 and 2 others like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

With everything that I had going, my aunt once told me to just wake up, brush and wash my hands and feet and light the lamp and chant one or two small mantras. The morning showering and lamp lighting wasn’t happening and I wasn’t able to do anything. Just doing this released the pressure of an early bath and lamp lighting plus elaborate prayers. I am grateful for the short cut because my new routine helps me find that lost connection. Maybe you can go to the Pooja area in the morning and just stand and pray without any elaborate poojas. Maybe you can have an electric light you switch on but go there in the morning to feel the connection.
    Modify your rituals according to your current time constraints but don’t stop doing it completely because you don’t have the time to do it all like you used to. Doing a little also gives us some connection and grounding.

4. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

It's okay to light a lamp with face washed. That's what my parents do but in laws will not accept that.
    Depends on one's beliefs. I Personally don't like to do and go light a lamp after bath only. I excuse myself on days i am late. But whenever I bathe I do my small prayer and light the lamp. Some days I miss it too. But as I said I excuse myself.

**My perspective of how I see these rituals: God did not ask us to do it like this or like that. These are habits which make us to be more disciplined, be consistent etc. Aim at developing these traits instead of creating a connection with god through daily rituals.
    Even if you don't bathe, sit in a corner and get reminded of god that is also a connection with him.Things like Reciting shlokas, lighting lamp, performing puja etc are done for our sake. If we can do it daily - it's absolutely good. With a toddler if you are not consistent that's fine too.. :) god will not question that.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I do not think it is necessary to follow the rituals to feel the connect with God.
    I did believe in this until I realized the connection with God is different and unique that differs person to person.

I used to go to church every Sunday, and occasionally on Thursdays. I religiously attend to the mass & receive the holy communion. I thought that was the connection I had with God. Because that's what my parents & grand-parents believed to have connection with God.

But, I had to go to war torn Arab country in the past for work, where prayers of Christian faith was prohibited. I could neither go to church, nor pray at home. I felt lonely, and scared due to the war situation there. I needed God much more than before; hence I developed a divine connection with God in my mind.

I started talking to God, and seeking his presence in my life since I was alone and living in danger. Immediately, i started feeling his presence & guidance in my life. There were so many decisions that I've made that time saved me from danger and later I've got to realize how my mind worked with the guidance of God.

It was a unique experience, and I still continue the same level of connection every day. It doesn't require a pooja room or picture of God or a certain mood like lights, fragrance etc..., but divine love towards God.

I felt the connection with God when I was on my sick bed, awaiting a major surgery. I was in the pool of blood, medicine and feeling dirty, yet pure inside to be able to contact God that time.

6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Just to make things easier why not start something small just lighting lamps . You might be overwhelmed with new responsibilities but slowly start adding your old habits back . Be kind to yourself .

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

This reminds of my dad. My dad started reading Ramayana in 50s. Since he had a very hectic job schedule he just kept a book next to his bed much to annoyance of my mom and used to read before sleep and after he wakes up whenever time permitted. I have seen him even reading in the morning without brushing. Like he would wake up and started reading lying down. His job involved lot of sleepless nights. But over a course of year he memorized the whole text and started reciting them . Even this he did without following any rituals. I remember how happy he looked when he recited those text. He never overburdened himself with too many rules and always relaxed the rules according to his will. We all need some peace and calmness . I completely agree that short cut does help.

8. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

I too felt the connection with God when I was on the surgery table twice. Prayer helped to overcome fear and anxiety then.

SGBV, shravs3, Laks09 and 1 other person like this.
  9. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

No issue.
    All I suggest is please atleast take a bath and light deepam and 2 agarbattis. Just join your hands and pray. If you can, atleast try to keep a small piece of sugar candy or jaggery as naivedyam. Its enough.
    On days when all this too not possible, simply pray to God in your heart.

Side note : Not to offend anyone or judge anyone but this "Connecting to God" is different for different people.
    West don't bother much of rules though they too sincerely believe in Jesus.
    But we Indians have our tradition and ritus rooted in us by birth.
    I personally believe work is worship but can't help myself from following traditions and certain rituals which is coming from generations.
    I do not find it regressive to follow unless something is forced upon me.
    I strictly believe in not lighting lamp without bath. If bath in the early morning not possible then atleast evening bath csn be taken and then light a lamp.

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

You would get “some” clue here in the link below:
    Dung, Devotion & Dangle
    God Bless your baby and you.
    Regards.

shravs3 likes this.