1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lost interest in eating

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by golden, Mar 23, 2009.

1. golden

golden New IL'ite

Hi moms,

My daughter is 2 yrs and 3 months old. In Jan,after returning bak from India,she had acute gateroentritis,for which she was hospitalised for 10 days,and she became very week. She recovered gradually,started eating properly too,but here from last 3-4 days am noticing that she has lost interest in eating. And also as a reult she has agin become somewhat week,is it common in kids to loose ineterest in food for few days or shud i consult a doc for her ? Can anyone suggest what shud i do.....

Anticipating to hear from all u experienced moms
    sonia

2. umarayan

umarayan Senior IL'ite

Hai
    kids in this range of age ,do like this only,when ever he/she feel hungry ask for food,i face same probs,doctor use to say leave it,it common,they give more attention in playing and grasp somethg,if u go to doctor they use to say this and atlast write a multivitamin syrup,so u give viatmin syrup in the morning time,ok it change gardually
    thanks
    regards
    uma

3. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi sonia,
    is that you?????.......hope i am assuption is right and u r talking abt T ur little angel am i right?????
    well children do loose interest in eating somewhere between 2.5 to 3 yrs. it happened to Azmeena also. they just dont seem interested in eating anythg not even thgs what they use to like. well it was with her for 15 days total lost appitite as well as interest in food. doc said its temp. as far as she is active no neeed to worry. he gave a tonic just to compensate the daily dose of vitamins. and also told not to force eating gv her juices and milk just see to it that she is not dehydrated. i did as he said and then slowly slowly by third week she started eating. but the content was less. still i was happy coz smthg was btter than nothg. then after few days it came to normal. and this repeats amy be after say 7-9 mths for Azmeena. so now i dont panic as i know how to handle. just dont force anythg. gv her liquids and fruits. do you deworm her evry 6 months? do it.
    dont worry as far as she is active, she is fine.

4. golden

golden New IL'ite

Tx Uma for ur valuable response.

Zeenat,yes,u guessed it rt,it's me,Sonia. Tx for relieving my tension to some extent :) atleast i know that am nt the only one facing this problem.
    No i havent dewormed her even once,is it really necessarry ?? I'll tk her to the doc and ask for the deworming medicine.

She is very active otherwise,keeps me on my foot the whole day,just that she doesnt wanna eat,i make whtevr she likes,doesnt force her to eat.

She is taking juices and fruits though in small quantities.
    Give luv to kids...
    Sonia

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Sonia, it does happen to us too, With our kid, it takes a while after his illness to get his appetite back up, especially gastro entritis. But he was back to eating normal amounts in a month or so. Another thing is in the third year of their life, toddlers need lesser amount of food because their growth is halved. For eg: if your child gained 6 kg the first year, she would have gain 3 kg the second and will gain 3 kg in the third. If she'd grown around 10 inches the first year, she would have grown around 5 inches the second and will halve it to 2.5''. Mind you the numbers are just appoximations. But the growth they had in the first two years will slow down and they do not eat much.
    Like Zeenat said (and you already seem to do it), feed her to appetite. If you can then make a snack tray for her that she can eat where she is playing and make it healhty.

6. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi sonia,
    howz T now?? has she started eating well. hope she is fine now.

7. lakshmi ganesh

lakshmi ganesh Junior IL'ite

hi moms,

i do face the same problem with my 2 year 3 months old daughter.
    but some times she seems to be very hungry and eats than usual.for next one week she will trouble me for eating.she was so good regarding food habits till her 2 year.as u tell they are diverted due to playing.but won't they feel hungry after playing???

regs
    lakshmi.G