1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Losing interest in my husband

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sangeeta098, Sep 3, 2014.

1. sangeeta098

sangeeta098 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I have been a regular reader in all the forums for quite some time.
    I am literally confused right now and wanted to see if my friends here can help me get out of my current state.

I have been married for 17 years. I have three kids (15, 9 & 3 years old).
    I have started feeling the emotional disconnect with my husband. This has developed over the period of time and has come to a point where the relationship has started feeling meaningless.

Root cause - I feel is my husband is a mamma boy & would do whatever she says whether its a personal issue or something related to business.
    I have lost trust in my husband or I kept moving on thinking that things will be better, & will have better understanding. But now after 17 years of married life, I feel no where. I have told my husband about this but he would just brush them aside. There have been points in my married life where the fights have gone physical and when I look back I feel I had all the more reasons to walk out this marriage but I never did. The feeling that my kids have been witness to those fights makes me feel so disgusted that how can a child tolerate mother being treated like that, I would never imagine my mother in that state.

My husband has all along maintained that he married me only because before marriage I had told him I will take care & respect his parents. I feel why would anybody not in the right senses would not do that. Mother is sugar quoted but emotional abuse & all that manipulations that she does with my husband behind my back has been such that I don't want to see her face. I have had very good relations with my in-laws all throughout though its not acknowledged.

I have many times tried leaving my husband but just could not. But now recently when he had a argument, he clearly indicated that his mother is all in all for him, better understand & this marriage will work only if his mother is taken care of or we can go in separate ways.

I just wanted to have your input on the whole situation since I am involved, might not be able to see what is right & what is wrong.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

What exactly does he mean by take care of her.Is she very old? invalid?or is it just that you live under her control.If she is controlling his personal and business life...then she seems quite capable of taking care of herself.

Are you financially independent?
    Do you have any support from your family?
    What is the stance of your children on this ill treatment of their mother?It is shocking that a man who worships his mother doesn't respect the mother of his children.
    Do you have a social life other than your husband's family.?..any friends around you with whom you could have a social life?

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Tha's the clear indication that ,he believes you will not go anywhere.
    Most of the times they are blank threats.If you try to put in action then everything will unfold.I don't think any man with 3 kids is ready for separation.

Since they are used for the society so much that ,it's his gut feeling that he can get whatever he wanted by doing those threats.He doesn't care about your love or respecting you.What all he wanted his,get things done his way by threatening you.That's how lot of people are .

When you have 15, 9 & 3 age kids,do you know how much strain on your physically and mentally.I'm not sure when you know your marriage is not in solid state,why to go for more kids???

First thing first,next time do needful when he touches you.First you should stop that.
    Second,when you know there is no love then don't even try to establish that relation.Other things should be taken care of before you worrying about husband love.

1)Does he take care of kids??
    2)Does he take care of things at home??
    3)Are you physically capable of taking care of kids??
    4)Are you financially capable??

Before thinking about your emotional bonding with your husband,there are so many things to take care.So first priorities on them.

When you know he is no way giving respect you then why even question him???

Either you live with him or not,first manage yourself and then go from there.First detach emotionally from him.

Or if you can't do it then accept him the way he is and just jel along with him.

4. sangeeta098

Taking care here means just abiding by whatever she says, to be under her control as he is.

My only mistake, I always thought a person who would respect his mother/parents would respect his wife too. He does care but only if his mother wants him to care for me. My family is always supportive of me. Financially, I am trying to establish my own business right now. There will be a little struggle but when I weigh the options, it seems better to struggle than to be with him, especially when he is totally under his mother's influence.

I have not talked to my kids about this, little hesitant not sure how they will react, I have tried talking to my elder one previously but he was kind of shattered so I decided to stay back. I know it will be very shocking for them since they wont understand my state of mind.

5. sangeeta098

Yes, I know he's pretty much sure that I will not leave.
    I have talked to him about the emotional disconnect and have told him to stay away from me and would not like to have physical relations with him so we have not been near each other since last 3 months.

& he takes care of kids but if his mom is unhappy with kids, he would be unhappy with them too. He wont interfere too much at home, I handle most of his office work (accounting work) along with my own work.

6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

no matter what don't take any abuse from him.(no 1 rule)

I beleive kids will be fine.But at the same time,things may not go that far once they relaise you are serious about it then your husband might try to mend.Because even for your husband kids are priority.So he might try to mend as long he is ok kind of person.

7. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

looks like you have clarity about your situation then you need to put your foot down.Then only he might realize seriousness of the issue.

Does his mother physically in good condition and does she care for kids??

8. sangeeta098

As of now, I am not looking for a emotional bond with my husband as I know he's not capable of doing that, I want to stay away but feel traumatized as to how kids will react & feel the absence of father, I am sure they will, they don't understand the abuse over here

9. sangeeta098

His mother is in good physical condition & she does take interest in the kids but is more involved in poking her nose between me & her son

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

How about if you stopped his accounting work and paid your full attention to starting your business.Let him know the value of the free accountant at least if he refuses to value a wife.

Do your parents stay close by.How about taking the youngest child and moving into your parents place for a few months.Let his mother take care of the older children.Let it pinch them.

But first ...you have to get that business started and doing well. Forget about him for sometime and get started on it. Your business could be your way out or even get you more respect in this marriage.Let it be your diversion from this bad marriage. When at home ,ignore him ...rest of the time,take care of kids and business.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.