1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

LO's eyes watering and eyelids getting shut

Discussion in 'Infants' started by lee50, Oct 15, 2009.

1. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My five months old DD has this problem of watering in the right eye. The dirt usually accumulates at the sides of her eye. Sometimes she finds it difficult to open her right eye in the morning. Today my DH had to open her right eye. I had showed her to the doctor when she was four months old and he mentioned that the top of the nose between the eyes should be pressed slightly thus preventing the dirt. I tried that too, didn't work wonders.

Yesterday one of my neighbours told to apply mother's milk. I am applying my milk since two days but the problems still prevails.

I am planning to show her to the paeditrician this week. Earlier I used eyedrops but doctor told me to discontinue.

Kindly let me know your suggestions.

Regards,
    Lynette

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Lynette, Most likely it is a blocked tear duct. This is fairly common in infants and will resolve by itself when they are 6-9 months old. My LO (almost 9 months) had this. Eye drops are for infections (conjuctivitis) and it does not help the blocked duct. My ped says the eye drops or eye antibiotics (Erythromycin) are needed only if there is yellowish mucusy discharge and the eyes are matted shut - meaning there is infection. The exercise your ped recommended is the right thing to do. Do this everyday with a clean fingertip. The crust accumulated at the tip can be washed away with a clean wet washcloth.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Agreeing with what Pavarun posted here. I have also noticed that DS had it worse, if he had been a little more unhappy and crying the previous day and also if he had runny nose.
    Aim for the spot from which the tears come, that's where the nasolacrimal duct opening is. If the eye is crusted shut, use a cotton ball dipped in boiled, cooled water (tepid) and wipe the crust away from the lashes, like how you would apply mascara.
    Breastmilk is a great idea, for us, it always cleared up a couple of days after I started applying BM in a dropper. Hope that helps.

4. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Pavarun is right. This sounds like a blocked tear duct issue to me, too.

My DD had a severe problem and my pediatrician explained it to me as follows: All of us make tears, which are then drained away from our eyes by tear or nasolacrimal ducts into the nasal cavity. Sometimes, however, a small flap of membrane hangs over and covers the ducts, preventing the tears from entering the ducts and draining out of the eyes. Think of it as 'blocked' plumbing. When a pipe is blocked, water cannot move freely through it and floods / pools in the pipe. Similarly, when a tear duct is blocked, the eyes are 'flooded' with tears, resulting in tear filled / crusty / shut eyes etc.

On my pediatrician's recommendation, I massaged the sides of my DD's nose (nearest to the inner corners of the eyes) twice a day, for 15 mins each session. This helped a little bit and reduced crust build-up to some extent for some time (5 - 10 mos), but the problem returned more severely when she was around 11 months old. Since the issue was worsening, instead of resolving itself, she had to have surgery at 13 months of age, to permanently get rid of the membrane that was closing off her ducts. While it was fairly simple & straight forward, you should avoid surgery if you possibly can. Keep massaging your child's ducts and the problem may resolve itself.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Tikka, Malyatha and Pavarun for your suggestions. I'm kind of relieved now.

I noticed that after the sponge bath when I apply the wet sponge on my DD's eyes for about 5 - 10 mins, it kind of gives a cooling effect and helps to keep the eyes open in the morning. In case, I do not do the same, the eyes are shut. The liquid in the morning is mucusy and yellowish.

I need to regularly do the exercise as Malyatha mentioned and continue with BM application. This seems to be a tear duct problem as my paeditrician mentioned too.

Regards,
    Lynette

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  6. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My DD eyes have finally got cleared. This morning I was surprised to see her eyes clean.

Thanks for your timely suggestions.

Regards,
    Lynette