1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lord's response

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I am missing the festivities that used to keep us up and running during this festival season. I am alone in the US while my wife is in Chennai. Generally, she used to go the spiritual center every day during Navarathri to chant Mahisasura Marthini Sthothra. Besides, she used to be invited by many friends each year and she used to drive a lot the entire day to just visit their residences for a brief period of time. She also used to arrange different types of poojas each year specifically organizing a priest to come home to systematically perform the pooja. At least 40-50 people used to visit our house during Navarathri to have dinner and prasad with us.

Navarathri started this week and I was wondering what I could do to participate in some form of worship. I understood that my wife is on an important mission to arrange her father’s first anniversary I was leaving for Chennai also next Friday. In the meantime, I was planning to go to the spiritual center as the other members of the center would be celebrating Navarathri every night but unfortunately, I was so busy and could not go at the schedule time in the evening. I had already responded to all my wife’s friends that she was out of town and wouldn’t be able to attend Navarathri celebrations organized by them at their respective residences.

This week end I am traveling to my son’s apartment to spend time with my plants, Orion and my son. My son had already taken two of the plants with him last week and I am planning to take the third one with me in the car. I already spent a lot of time with the third plant today talking to her about the trip she was going to make tomorrow and the need for her to reside in my son’s place until I return to the US. When I am so excited about spending the entire week end with my plants, grandson and son, I still miss the participation in holy Navarathri celebrations. I used to chant Mahishasura Marthini Sthothra every evening before commencing my studies when I was young and now I had forgotten to chant from my memory. I didn’t have a book to chant it at home every evening in the absence of my wife. I light the lamp every morning and evening in our Altar and I have painstakingly pleaded to the Lords in our Altar to forgive me for not chanting anything during these holy days.

When I was feeling low for my inability to do anything in the absence of my wife during Navarathri, the Lord responded to me through the very same priest who used to perform pooja at our residence every year. He called me yesterday to let me know that Lord Sathya Narayana had just received a Kridham and my wife had promised that she would pay for the cost of this Kridham. I was smiling ear to ear and told the priest that I would come to the temple to handover the check for the cost of Kridham. He told me to come prepared to take Sankalpa on Vijayadhasami day, a day before I travel to India, so that Kridham can be formally offered to the Lord Sathya Narayana on the auspicious Vijayadhasami day.

I was in tears for a long time as the Lord responded to the uncomfortable feelings of ordinary devotee like me for missing the Navarathri celebrations and feeling lonely during this festival season. It is amazing how our prayers are answered if we are sincere in our prayers and care to watch the responses. My wife is a devoted person chanting at least 2 hours every day and my prayers with the Lord are only for a few minutes every day. There isn’t a day passes without me admiring my wife for her upbringing as their parents and grandparents used to be very religious. What makes me feel very emotional is the gesture of the Lord even to respond to my prayers. The learned people say the Lord showers His grace on everyone without discrimination and this incident proved it to me. This is motivation enough for me to purity my heart further.

5 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one V'

You don't miss those when they are with you - parting those would teach the importance. Have a safe journey.

Your 2 mts prayer = 2hrs of your spouse's prayer, and lord answered to the short one, I got it :)

1 person likes this.
  3. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Viswa Sir for posting this, it gives such a nice warm feeling reading it as the first thing in the morning. And I guess it coming at the right time for me to re-establish the hopes and promises that God does hear even most silent prayers.
    I was feeling a little guilty over the last 2 days. I had planned to also do Sundara kandam parayanam during Navarathri, which am doing but for some reasons I feel that Am not doing the complete justice. U might understand what I mean, I don’t have enough time to sit and do it leisurely with complete devotion and sharaddh. I do it in a hurry, early morning before leaving to work. So was really unhappy if it’s becoming ritualistic and I can’t put my heart or soul into it. But, thanks…Am feeling a kind of OK now.

You must have felt on top of your world, when the priest called you. Big blessings come in small packages…how true!
    Happy weekend! Hope you have a nice time with plants, Orion and your dear son. In that order :wink:...hehehe

There is time for "Bon Voyage"..So will save it for timebeing. Am sure you will come up with some endearing post by then.

1 person likes this.
  4. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice snippet Vishwa sir. Made me feel good and hopeful. God doesn't mind how long we pray as long as we are sincere in our prayers, thoughts, words, and actions. Your snippet reminded me of a story my mom used to share with us.

There was a king, who was a devotee of Lord Shiva and was building a huge temple for him. In another village nearby, there was a poor farmer who was a devotee of Lord Shiva as well and dreamt of building a temple for Him. Everyday he visualizes how his dream temple would be and he would dream of each step in construction. Both the temple built by the king and the dream temple of the farmer were ready at the same time. The king scheduled a pooja/kumbabishekam in his temple. God appeared in king's dream and told him that I can't be in your temple during the time of pooja as my ardent devotee in so and so place is performing a pooja for me in his temple at the same time and I wish to be there. The king was upset and went to see the farmer and demanded to see the temple he has built. The farmer was puzzled and explained the king that the temple was just created in his mind. The king was humbled by the revelation of the farmer and the farmer was happy to know about God’s acceptance of his devotion.

PS. Have a great time with your son, Orion and plants. Happy Dussera to your wonderful family.

2 people like this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    Chillbreeze has narrated the story of Poosalar Nayanar and his Maanaseeka temple. The legend goes that the king realised how God accepted the silent devotion and he constructed a temple in the same design and plan imagined by Poosalar in Thiruninravur near Chennai. The temple with the presiding deity Hrudhayaleeswarar stands an evidence to the devotion of the poor devotee.
    God accepts even a leaf, flower fruit or a spoon of water.Doing Maanaseeka pooja is not new to Hinduism.In fact Adi Sankaracharya has composed 16 verses known as " Mantra Matruka Pushpamala'-a beautiful garland of verses or mantras.
    He constructs a beautiful 1000 pillared mandapam adorned with so many pearls and gems,installs Devi in the mandapam, does all the poojas, with Chandana Kunkuma Abhishekam and does Archana with flowers like jathi, champaka, Malathi ,jasmine etc etc.The entire Pooja vidhi like abhisheka, archana and shodasa upacharas are being followed.
    If we close our eyes and recite the verses we can experience the vision of Ambal and vibration arising therefrom- an experience to be felt and explained by any number of words in Chambers.
    Normally the verses are recited after completing Soundarya lahari all the days during navarathri.
    As I completed singing mantra matruka pushpamala in Ragamalika I just opened P. C. and saw your 'Lord's Response.
    I wish you celebrate Vijayadasami having daesan of the Lord with kireetam.
    Wish you happy navarathri and bon voyage to India.
    jayasala 42

3 people like this.
  6. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Jayasala mam, when I was typing the story I was thinking surely you will know the entire story as I could remember only bits of it. Now after your reply, I remembered the name of the person and that the king built a similar temple. But I didn't know it exists really. Thanks for the information.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Some one up there likes u, and likes u one hell of a lot.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  8. premabarani

premabarani Gold IL'ite

Hi Viswa Sir
    Really you are blessed., Awesome experience.

Hi Jayasala
    What is this Mantra Matruka Pushpamal. Can you please give the version or the details of it.

Prema barani

1 person likes this.
  9. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa Sir,

thank you for sharing this. Heart warming and made me emotional. I grew up in a religious environment where temple festivals and bajans were part of my daily life. I got married but my dear husband doesn't believe in religion or god. He never stopped me but I never get a chance to go to temple or bajans. I have an altar in my wardrobe and I pray. He asked me not to lit the lamp due to safety concerns. I do lit for few minutes. A month ago, I was telling my friend that the thing I miss the most is attending bajans. Three weeks ago, my youngest son started school, i took a week off to make him settled . In that week ,I did some de cluttering at home and found a bajan cd presented to me by best friend 10 years ago. I put the cd in the car and it was a DVD and I saw swami singing. I felt so blessed and happy. On vijayaga chathurthi, I was praying and I got a strong urge wanting a small pillayar statue. After few weeks, one of my friend came back from India trip and gave me a pillar statue.
    Thank you again and have a pleasant trip and will be thinking of you on Vijayadasami when you are going to get the kireedam!!!

Warm regards
    vani

10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Premabarani,
    Here is the English Version and meaning of mantra matruka Pushpamala.
    Mantra mathruka pushpa mala sthavam
    (Prayer of garland of mantra flowers to the mother)
    Written by
    Adhi Sankara Bhagavat Pada

Translated in to English by
    P.R.Ramachander
    (This is a very pretty mellifluous and remarkable prayer to the mother Goddess written by Adhi Sankara. In the first 16 stanzas he describes the shodasa Upacharas(16 types of services which a devotee would do to his God) in a manner which would move every one’s heart. Of these the sixteenth stanza describes the benefits which a devotee would get by reciting this prayer. The seventeenth is an eulogy of the prayer. Another interesting aspect is that the first letters of the first 15 stanzas are the letters of the Pancha Dasakshri mantra viz
    Ka- aa-ee-la-hrim
    Ha –sa-ka-ha-la-hrim
    Sa-ka-la-hrim
    This mantra is supposed to be the holiest to worship and meditate on the mother.)

Kallololla sithamruthabdhi lahari, madhye virajanmani,
    Dhweepe kalpaka vatika parivruthe, kaadhamba vatyujwale,
    Rathna stambha sahasra nirmitha sabha, madhye vimonathame,
    Chintha rathna vinirmitham janani! they simhasanam bhavaye. 1

I pray to your Throne, mother,
    Which is made of jewels of thought,
    And is placed in the main and holy stage,
    Which is in the middle of the great arena,
    Made with one thousand pillars of precious stones,
    Which is in the precious garden of kadambha trees,
    Which is surrounded by several kalpaka trees,
    Which is in the island of gems,
    And which is in the middle of the great tide,
    Of the ocean of nectar, which shines with its ever beating waves.

Enanganala bhanu mandala lasad, sree chakra madhye sthitham,
    Balarka dhyuthi basuram karathalai pasungasou bhibratheem,
    Chapam banamapi prasanna vadanam, kousumbha vasthranvitham,
    Thaam thwam Chandra kalavathamsa mukutam, charusmitham bhavaye. 2

I meditate on you,
    Who has a very beatific smile,
    Who is in the middle of Sri Chakra,
    Which is the shining orb of the sun ,moon and fire god,
    Who shines like the rising sun,
    Who holds in her hand, the bow and arrows, goad and the noose,
    Who has a face with a pleasing smile,
    Who wears red silk,
    And who wears a crown decorated by the crescent.

Ishanadhipadam shivaika phalakam rathasanam they shubham,
    Paadhyam kumkuma chandanadhi bharithai rarghyam sarathnakshathai,
    Shuddhairachamaneeyakm thava jalair bhakthya maya kalpitham,
    Karunyamrutha varidhe , thadakhilam santhushtaye kalpyatham. 3

Hey ocean of the nectar of mercy,
    I have with devotion in my mind offered you,
    A throne of jewel whose legs are,
    Lord Brahma, Vishnu, Rudra and Ishwara,
    Whose seating plank is Lord Shiva,
    And pots of holy water for you to drink,
    And holy rice mixed with saffron, sandal and rare gems,
    And pure water for you to do inner purification,
    And let all these become a part ,contributing to your happiness.

Lakshye, yogijanasya rak****ha jagat jale, vishale kshane,
    Praleyambhu pateera kumkuma lasath , karpoora mishrodhagai,
    Goksheerairapi nalikera salilai shuddhodakair manthrithai,
    Snanam Devi , videhi mangala karair gangeya kumbhodhuthai. 4

Hey Devi, who is the subject of meditation of great sages,
    Who protects the entire world and its beings,
    And who has broad longish eyes,
    Holy water mixed with saffron, camphor, cow’s milk,
    Tender coconut water and rose water , sanctified by holy chants,
    Has been kept ready for you,
    And so please be kind enough to take your bath,

Hrinkarangitha manthra lak****ha thano, hemanchalairanchitham,
    Rathnai rujjwalamuthareeya sahitham, kausumbha varnam sukam,
    Muktha santhahi yagna suthramamalam, souvarna thanthuth bhavam,
    Datham Devi, dhiyamayaithadakhilam, santhushtaye kalpyathaam. 5

Hey Devi ,whose form is the aim of the holy chants of Hreem,
    A pretty upper cloth with golden borders and with precious stones inlaid,
    And also a red silk cloth and with gems hanging from it
    And also a triple holy thread of sacrifice ,woven with golden threads

Hamasairapyathi lobhaneeya gamane, haaravaleemujjuwalam,
    Hindholadhuthi heera pooritha thare, hemangadhe kankane,
    Manjeerou mani kandale makutamapyardhendhu choodamanim,
    Nasa moukthika manguleeya katakana, kancheemapi sweekuru. 6

Hey devi, whose handsome gait makes even the swans jealous,
    Please be kind enough to accept,
    The chain of garlands, shining in their beauty,
    Armlets made of diamonds resembling the ray of the moon,
    Bangles, anklets with jingling bells,
    Hair crest resembling the crescent of the moon,
    Crown, nose stud made of gems, rings and golden belt.

Sarvamge Ghana saara kumkuma lasath, sree gandha pangangitham,
    Kasthuri thilakancha phala phalake, gorochana pathrakam,
    Ganda darshana mandale nayanayor divayanjanam thee arpitham,
    Kandabhje mruganabhi pangamamalam, twat preethaye kalpyatham. 7

I have offered with devotion to you,
    The perfumed paste of camphor, saffron and sandalwood,
    To apply all over your body,
    Musk to apply thilaka on your forehead,
    Paste of Gorochana to apply on your mirror like cheeks,
    Holy black kajal to apply in your eyes,
    And mixtures of musk to apply on your conch like neck,

Kalhoralpala mallika maruvakai sowarna pangeruhai,
    Jathi champaka malathi bakulakair, mandhara kandahdhibhi,
    Kethakya karaveerakair bahu vidhair , kliptha srojamalika,
    Sankalpena samarpayami varadhe, santhustaye kalpyatham. 8

Hey Goddess, who is giver of all boons,
    Crowds of pretty garlands,
    Made of lilies, jasmine, sweet smelling herbs,
    Golden coloured lotus flowers, Champaka flowers,
    Sweet smelling pandanus flowers and very many such,

Hanthaaram madanasya nandayasi yairangai ranangojwalai,
    Yai bringavali neela kunthala bharair badhnasi thasyasayam,
    Thaneemani thavamha, komalatharanya modha leela gruha,
    Nyamodhaya dasanga gulgulu gruthair dhoopairaham dhoopaye. 9

Hey mother mine, let me offer you the perfumed smokes ,
    From Dasanga, Gulgulu, and ghee,
    To add scent to parts of your body,
    By which you arouse the passion,
    In lord Shiva who burnt the God of love,
    And to add perfume to your great long black tresses ,
    Which appears as if it is a string of bees,
    And which is used tie his heart,
    And which become the play house of perfumes.

Lakshmimujwalayami ratna nivahoth, basamthare mandhire.
    Mala roopa vilambhir mani maa sthambeshu sambhavithai.
    Chitrair hataka puthrika kara dyathiga,Vairgya thair vardhithair.
    Divyair deepaganair dhiya giri suthe, Santhushtaye kalpyatham. 10

Hey Goddess ,who is the daughter of the mountain,
    I imagine in my heart that,
    In thine house whose interior is lit by the glitter of gems,
    In which the pillars are fully gem studded and on which garlands hang,
    The lights in the hands of golden statues of various types.
    Are filled with cow’s ghee and the holy lamps in rows are lit,
    And increase the sparkle of the room,
    And so I request you to become happy..

Hreengraeswai, thaptha hataka krutha sthali sahasrair brutham,
    Divyannam grutha soopa shaka bharitham , chithranna bhedam thadha,
    Dugdhannam madhu sarkara dadhi yutham , manikya paathre sthiham,
    Mashapoopa sahasram Amba, saphalam naivedyam avedhaye. 11

Oh Goddess ,who is the goddess pleased with the sound ‘Hreem’,
    In several shining vessels of gold, which have been cleaned by fire,
    And are filled with, Ghee, dhal and dishes made of leafy vegetables mixed with holy rice,
    Mixed rice made out of honey , sugar and curds,
    And curd and milk rice kept in gem studded vessels,
    And thousands of vada made of black gram dhal,
    And several types are being offered to you,
    And Oh , mother, please accept them.

Sachayair vara kethaki dala rucha thamboola vallee dalai.
    Poogair bhoori gunair sugandhi madurai, karpoora gandojjwlai,
    Muktha choorna virajithair bahu vidhair, vakthrambujamodhanai,
    Poorna rathna kalachika thava mudhe nyastha purasthadhume. 12

Hey Goddess Uma, a gem studded plate of Thamboola,
    Full with betel nut of good quality which shines with camphor lines,
    And with betel leaves which are as thin as pandanus flower petal,
    Applied with lime prepared from the pearl oyster,
    Which would add perfume to your lotus like face,
    Has been kept on the eastern side , to add to your happiness.

Kanyabhi kamaneeya kanthi bhiralankara malarthika,
    Pathre moukthika chitra pankthi vilasad , karpoora deepavalibhi,
    Thatha thala mrudanga geetha sahitham , nruthyath padamboruham,
    Manthra aradhana poorvakam suvihitham neerajanam gruhyatham. 13

Several damsels with the glitter of beauty,
    With their lotus feet dancing to the pleasant tunes,
    According to the beats of drum and melodious singing,
    Accompanied with chanting of mantras,
    Carry several camphor lamps decorated by gems,
    In a decorated and perfectly clean plate,
    Arranged in an ornamental fashion according to a pictorial design,
    And offer you the worship of lights,
    And , Oh mother, be pleased to accept it.

Lakshmir moukthika laksha kalpitha sitha chathram thu dathe rasath,
    Indrani charathischa chamaravare dathe swayam Bharathi,
    Veenamena vilochana sumanassam, nruthyanthi sadraghavath,
    Bhavair angika sathvikai sphutarasam mathasthadha aalokyadham. 14

Goddess Lakshmi with interest in serving you,
    Holds a white umbrella made of pearls,
    Indrani , the wife of Indra and Rathi the wife of God of love,
    Fan you from both sides with white fans,
    Goddess Saraswathi without any one requesting,
    Is playing the Veena to produce soulful music,
    And the pretty damsels of Devas are dancing ,
    With handsome movements of their body and mind,
    To produce the nine different emotions.
    Oh mother please see and enjoy them all.

Hreenkara thraa samputena manuno pasye thrayi maulibhir,
    Vakhyair lak****ha thano , thava sthuhi vidhou ko vaa kshameth ambike,
    Sallapa sthuthaya pradakshina satham sanchara evasthu me,
    Samveso namasam sahasramakhilam , twat prrethaye kalpyatham. 15

Oh Goddess Ambika, who should be meditated,
    Upon by the three manthras starting with Hreem,
    And whose form can only be understood,
    By the wise sentences of Upanishads,
    And who can be considered as an expert,
    In composing songs praising you,
    Let all my conversations be prayers to thee,
    Let all my walks and travel be perambulation round thee,
    And let all my lying down be salutations to you.

Sri manthrakshara maalaya giri suthaam, ya poojayeschethasa,
    Sandhyasu prathivasaram suniyatha tasyamarasya chirath,
    Chithamboruha mandape , giri suthaa nrutham vidathe sada,
    Vani vakthra saroruhe jaladhija gehe jaganmangala. 16

The one who offers worship,
    To the goddess who is the daughter of mountain,
    Using this prayer of the garland of mantras,
    Daily during dawn , noon and dusk
    And salute her with his entire mind,
    Would soon find that,
    In the stage of his very devout lotus like mind,
    The Goddess Parvathy would dance.
    And in his lotus like face,
    The goddess Saraswathy would dance,
    And in his house, Goddess Lakshmi ,
    Who is the daughter of ocean,
    And who brings all that is good,
    Would dance for ever.

Ithi Giri vara puthri pada rajeeva bhoosha,
    Bhuvanamamalayanthi sookthi saurabhya sarai,
    Shiva pada makarantha syandhani mannibhadha,
    Madhayathu kavi brungan Mathruka puspa mala. 17

Let these words
    Which are the ornaments of the lotus like feet of mother
    Which have sweet smelling meanings,
    Which make the world clean,
    Which are dripping with honey of the salvation of Siva’s feet,
    And have been woven by me as a garland of mantras to the mother,
    Make the bee like poets full of joy.

You can get the Sanskrit version in www.sanskritdocuments.org/all_pdf/mantramAtRikApuShpamAlA.pdf
    In Madras in many devotional clubs this is sung in 16 different ragas.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.