1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

loose dilemma

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by desidiva, Nov 2, 2007.

1. desidiva

desidiva New IL'ite

Ok, I have reached my breaking point over this whole dilemma of lose and loose. I know I am on a rant this morning as it has always driven me nuts as to how many times people use loose when they really want to say lose. In a lot of cases it has been down right hysterical as it has changed the meaning of the sentence completely….like saying…I want to loose five pounds….GOD…really???…show me how you manage to “loose” five founds!!!!.

It bothers me even more when I see this mistake in professional writing. The shocker in all of this is that when someone who is doing this gets to find out that it should be lose and not loose, they had no idea that “lose” is even a word…..hmmm…should I throw up in disgust or should I step on their feet for being so absurd and making me boil from inside? I know….I know….I am going overboard on such a little thing but there doesn’t go by a day without me seeing this mistake at least a couple of times, if not more.

Ok now I feel a little better since I have put this out of my system….thanks to this forum!!

Vib

P.S. I wonder what they mean when they say someone is a looser…lol!!!!! Got it? Looser for loser…..lol

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vib
    That was a timely post! You have made many of us lose sleep over a loose dilemma! Carry on your good work!
    Sri

3. desidiva

desidiva New IL'ite

Thank you sir for reading and replying to my post! I have read many of your wonderful posts and am glad that you took some time to read mine!

Thanks again for the encouragement!
    Vib

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Vib,
    To Loose or not to Lose! Thats the question.:idontgetit:

That was a great post .Keep posting girl, you brought smiles to me with this write up.

Vandhana

5. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Hi Vib

Such things really get onto one's nerves at times :spin
    another one that i quite frequently encounter is the 'i didnt knew' phrase....
    and to add to it,, when you try explaining the correct thing, they reply saying -
    "Really? i didnt knew that":shaking:

Cheers!
    Charu..

6. desidiva

desidiva New IL'ite

Vandana - I am glad you enjoyed the post!!

Charu - That was a good one! I don't know what to do with people who just want to be ignorant...oh well...that's just life....

Vib

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vib,
    Yes, an eternal dilemma whether the "O" is single or double !
    Recently, I got a mail from my friend saying that she could not attend a function in my family because she was feeling sick with "lose motions" ! I had a hearty laugh, literally meaning it.
    Well, I wrote to her - take care; if you have too many loose mations, you will lose weight !

A thread on such loose interpretation - but makes interesting reading, none should lose out on reading this and have a good laugh.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi vib,

Thought i was peeking into "The Hindu" Know your English column.

Anyway whether to lose or loose is a nerve wracking one..whether you write or read....
    what about chose/choose..(may we can forgive, it is only a tense )
    They look different, they sound different and mean different things but still confusion prevails........

Good topic to ponder..........

9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi,

The loose dilema has taken everybody to laugh and think... Great...

Hope I have not entered the English class... I can understand the irritation... I have a colleague of mine, who will say for everything "You know"... Three four times I have shouted at him that I will not know, unless he tells me.... But still he keeps continuing... So, we have to live with it....

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Vib
    This is something to notice it great work many a time we come across such things but nothing can be done.

Chithra's was a good one, You got a good mail had a good laugh at it what a big misunderstanding it creates. Hahaha...........