Looking to identify the textile shop that sells kaftans and housecoats

Discussion in 'Bangalore' started by Vidya24, May 8, 2006.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sudha and other Bangalore ladies,

I will be grateful if one of you can identify this shop for me. It is a textile shop selling kaftans and housecoats. They are famous for selling these in plain (non-printed) material with a richly embroidered yoke. Unique and very, very feminine.

The shop is run by Iranis. It is in one of the main shopping streets. A basement shop, with a couple of housecoats hanging at street level. So even regular shoppers do not know the name of this shop, but just see the display and walk down.

I need the name and location of this shop. Help out, please.

warm regards
    VR

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,

Is this a new or old shop...since i am out of touch with bangalore shopping frm a long time and i now only what my mom does...
    But i feel some such shop was there in Commercial Street , loooong back ....i am not sure if you mean that FAMOUS STREET!
    Let's see if any other member can identify this...

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sudha,

The shop has been round for long. First saw the kaftans in 1983, and now as recently as 2004. Really pretty ones, drop ten kilos when I wear one. Got them as gifts, hence dunno the name of the shop.

ciao
    VR

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,

Hi,
    I saw some kaftans in a normal nightie selling shop also, ...in Malleswaram....
    Will ask my sis in Gurgaon, she may remember these things as she also loves kaftans and she is into dress designing and selling...so she may have recently visited some shops in b'lore. Will keep u posted as soon as i get some info....
    I also love these kaftans, and i pick them up whenever i see them.....will ask my sis-in law who lives there....do u want the same shop or will any good shop which sells kaftans would do?

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi!again Sudha,

It will be nice to have both, don't I want everything??!!Both the name of the shop that I had described and any general shop selling good kaftans.

And thanks.
    regards
    VR

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Vidya and Sudha...

..Too bad girls! Talking about Bangalore shops..you are making me terribly homesick:(

It has been a long time since I have been back home and I think B'lore is great for shopping. Vidya, wish I could help you, but I am totally out of it! The street may be Commercial Street, but Iranians in basement..there are atleast about 50 such shops there!! Why don't you try your luck at Fazals in Commercial Street, they are ooooold and still going strong and have a large variety of apparels. You might get lucky:)

L, Kamla

7. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

You are little late, sudha!!

Hey, dont take it serious..Anyways, my hub is already here and hence, I can buy those kind of designs for me later during my next visit.

Lots of thanks for conveying me the latest update..Pls do post more msgs if any..

Thanks and Bye.

8. nila1

nila1 New IL'ite

Any good shopping places in bangalore? I am going next month and also wanted to know what is latest fashion in sarees and salwars? What else fun to do in bangalore. I would also like to buy some formal clothes, is it better to buy it here in US or in bangalore?

Thanks

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Have fun

Dear Nila,

I am sure that you will be thrilled to shop in Bangalore. It is a shoppers' paradise. If you have the money, you can get almost anything you wish for in B'lore. It has been more than four years since I have been to my hometown and I hear that some more shopping malls, multiplexes and departmental stores have mushroomed everywhere. Hope some Bangalore ILites can throw light as to where they are situated and their names etc.

In the old city area, there is the Avenue Rd, Chickpet and the City Market. You can get anything ranging from Kanjeevarams to Kaftans there and high end gold/silver jewellery to plastic hair clips and one can get a good bargain. Only, it is a highly congested area and that can be somewhat of a hinderance.

I personally prefer the Cantonement part of the city which has great shopping roads such as Commercial Street, Brigade Rd, MG Rd etc. One can get great shoes and handbags and shawls beside a whole range of clothing, be it saris, salwars or suits. Also, this whole area is spotted with the various arts and crafts emporiums from all over India.

As for food, you have excellent eating places there ranging from the popular american chains such as KFC to local Udupi restraunts and not to forget the panipuri-chat joints, ice cream parlours etc etc.

There are a lot of sightseeing possibilities in and around B'lore with a whole lot of farm houses and clubs for a family outing a little outside the city.

Ofcourse, B'lore is famous for its pubs if you are so inclined.

Also, check out the web for info on B'lore. I hope someone else can give you more precise pointers as to where and what you can shop there.

L, Kamla

10. nila1

nila1 New IL'ite

Thankyou Kamla, I will be staying in the contonement area only, so hope to check out all the places u mentioned.

If any other bangalore ites can also give some info abt good places to try karnataka food and sweets, it would be helpful
    Thanks