1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for job in H4 status : Expert opinions needed

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by indira, Apr 3, 2005.

1. jayashreerajan

jayashreerajan New IL'ite

Hi Vaishu,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Ya as you said it is better to follow the rules and hence i have given up my job search and started looking for volunteer services.

As for your friend, I am not much clear about it.So if you could give me more details about it, it will be easier for me to decide upon.By the way are you not interested in such things??

How are you managing your time????

Regards,
    Jayashree

2. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Jayashree,

Yeah my friend prepares and supplies food for dinners and parties on request only in her friends circle.If they want dinner or partyorder,they call and tell her ..She prepares and packs in ziplogs(Friend in the since,i met her in one Birthday party,to which she supplied food..They were tasty .. )...They come and pick them up..And she don't take money here in usa.All the friends poolup and pay her in many forms..like .One of them will credit to her account in india.The other way is they give it in form of gift cards in walmart or so..

About me,Iam interested but its tough and unsafe with naughty kid around..So i don't do cooking.I did my MCA in india ,got married in 2003 and came here immediately.We have 2.5old kid now.This year i tried applying for H-1b,but my sponsorer couldn't do it on time and finally iam the looser..

So my hubby gave me good suggestion to change my visa to F-1and do MS here..so that i can parallely work for 18hours per week legally,and moreover i can be exempted from H-1b cap ...So still thinking whether to do or no..This weekend we will decide and register myself for GRE exam.and then plan for MS in spring2008.

So what do u say Jayashree regarding MS?Have u got any plans?

Awaiting for ur early reply,
    vaishu

3. aashree

aashree New IL'ite

Hi,

I am in the same boat as vaishnavilakshmi. I am on H4, applied for H1 this yr..donno how this lottery is going to get luck for me.
    I have a 10 month old son so time is passing by taking care of him. But still feeling void. First time i am sitting at home. Worked for 7 yrs after my enginnering..and now at home totally.
    Anyways waiting for some good news from USCIS currently.

cheers,
    aashree

4. jayashreerajan

Hi vaishu,

Sorry for the late reply.

Nice to hear about your kids and family.Yes i do understand about the risk of working here so i have recently joined for a voluntary service in American Red Cross.If you are interested you can come along.It is like i go only on tuesdays and timing is left to you.They don't demand anything.The environment is very friendly and it ie really nice to travel also.

Ya actually even I am waiting for my H1 but i will be able to decide upon it only after I know the status.My bacp-up plan is like as you said change the status to F1 and start doing some courses but I am not interested in MS.

But for you i guess you can give a try for it but if you are doing it do it ASAP because now i guess when your kids are small you can just try something but as they are growing up you will have to fully concetrate on them and it may be a bit tough at that time.

All the best in all your future endeavours.

Waiting for your reply.

Jayashree

5. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Jayashree,

Good to know that u joined American Red Cross.Iam preparing for my GRE now.But with the kid around i can only study for 10-13hours a week.But that should be sufficient if i can concentrate on it.
    Hope i get through this GRE and fetch admission in PSU.And one more thing i wanted to tell uis , if u have work experience of 2years u can do MS in software Engineering which don't require GRE exam.But i have less than a year experience.So iam not eligible for that.So decided to give GRE and TOEFL.

So jayashree,how is ur work experience there?do keep post messages..
    Cheers,
    Vaishu

6. jayashreerajan

Hi vaishu,

My job is going great.As of now they are just training me as a back up for front office.At times i don't understand heir accent but got to manage.

As for my work experience, i have worked only for a year in Bangalore.

All the very best for your MS and wish you good luck in all your efforts.

Keep in touch..........

Jayashree

7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies

I saw ur posts.
    I am working as a volunteer in a nearby university where i learn some techniques in my field( i m a biochemist, have experience in research).
    Also i volunteer at nearby community center where i learn knitting, quilting and apart i am also helping in adult day care.
    Previously i have been volunteering in a hospital.
    So if u like to volunteer, go according to ur education and ur interests.

8. vandanasingal

vandanasingal New IL'ite

Hi Jayashree,
    I am a similar case. I am on H4 waiting for my H1 status. I had been working for past 7 ys in India and now i suddenly find myself out of work whole day at home. Its really boring at times and also depressing. I do not have company here as i just moved in. If you get to know any such opportunity then pls let me know.

Regards,
    Vandana Singal

9. jayashreerajan

Hi vandana,

As ravi said you are allowed to do voluntary services.Right now i am volunteering in Red Cross.If you would like, let me know.

Once i find such a company i will definitely let you know but working in H4 is not safe.It is better to legally work rather than just going for something which is not safe.

You can do some courses online if you are interested.

Regards,
    Jayashree

10. SimplyIsha

SimplyIsha New IL'ite

Hi,

I am also getting married by the end of this year and shall be on H4 visa. Please letme know what are possible work options. Are there any chances of getting a serious job in NY? Please guide me. Are there any head-hunters I can approach?

Ishita