1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for best drawing schools or classes

Discussion in 'Indians in Fairfax' started by jyosat0709, Aug 24, 2011.

1. jyosat0709

jyosat0709 New IL'ite

Hi -

I live in Herndon, VA and looking for drawing classes for my 6 yr old son. He is very interested in art and spends most of his time with it. I am looking to give him a good foundation to learn basic techniques in drwaing. PLease let me know if someone knows a good school or class in/around this area. I am even willing to drive if it is a good one. Thanks a lot in advance! ​
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_QuickEdit", "15412", 'VisitorMessage'); //--> </SCRIPT>

2. TCR

TCR New IL'ite

Hi,

I just signed up for Indus Ladies to find math classes for my son and noticed you are looking for local art instruction. I'm an experienced private art teacher and know about different venues in this area. Feel free to look me up and call if you have questions after reading this reply: Tricia Cherrington Ratliff

I specialize in teaching people to draw very realistically. The age when people start is not as important as what they want to learn. There are a lot of group art classes for children that art available at places like ArtSpace Herndon and J Arts. Those are more general classes where your child can try many different things. Generally, children come to study with me after they have tried those classes to see what they like and decide they are most interested in drawing and painting exactly what they see realistically. I include the artistic math skills for linear perspective and mental measurement when they are ready.

Basically, when parents ask "When is my child ready for private lessons" I tell them that if your child enjoys all kinds of art, send them to a group class where they can try many different kinds of materials. If your child starts to express that they would be more satisfied with their own art if it were (fill in the blank) then you can send them to lessons for that topic. For example, if they start to regularly say things like "The flower/house/person looks ok but it's not real looking" then they are ready for more advanced drawing/painting lessons because they are starting to visualize what they want to achieve. If for example they are working in clay and often say things like "The clay is too sloppy, I wanted it to be a horse but it's like a bear" then find a more advanced children's sculpture class like the ones at ArtSquare in Leesburg Va.

I wish you the best in your search.

3. srajameena

srajameena Junior IL'ite