1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Long stretch of sleep for 2 months old premise

Discussion in 'Infants' started by newlife2010, Jun 17, 2010.

1. newlife2010

newlife2010 New IL'ite

My lo is 2 months old, 3 wek preterm.he was 5 lbs after a month 8.5 lbs.he is now fully formula fed.so far he has been sleeping for 5 hours sometimes 6 hours after evening 7.00 or late evening 9.00/10.00 clock feeding .he eats 4.5 oz to 5 oz every 2.5 to 3 hours and time frequency is 2.5 hours in the evening.then after 4/5 hours he would take another 4.5/5 oz and goes back to sleep for 3 hours .my concerns are1) being a premier is it okay to let him sleep for 5 hours . If I try to dreamfeed him he eats but then wakes up grunts twists his body even after burping keeping upright for 20 minutes. And I noticed the long strech he sleep he is in deep sleep down not move much but from the next feeding he would start grunting curling up his legs etc.so is it okay for him to sleep for 5/6 hours without eating? He does not have acid reflux but through suffers from gas and now constipation hard stool.2)I have noticed he started sleeping very less now and when awake he plays on his own for 5/10 minutes and then gets crancky. How can I keep him entertained engaged? He does not care for his moving toys then. But sometimes takes pacifier to sooth but again either it falls down or leaves it ,I am not sure, and starts crying.this is even after a good feed too if he is not sleeping.I am not getting 5 mintues break for myself.please tell me what to do to keep him happy when awake

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Hi, I dont have answers for all your questions, but for this - let him sleep as much as he wants, its ok, he will eat as much he wants once he is up :) Newborn phase is the toughest, you wont get time to your restroom trips even, I have been there :) Hugs :)

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

If his weight gain is good then you don't need to wake him to feed...
    Are you sure you are not over feeding him??? 5 oz every 2.5 hrs @ 2 months old seems to be a bit too much for me...May be he is curling his legs because his tummy is too full??

And you said he has gas and is constipated..So curling his legs is may be because of the gas...Try doing the cycling exercises during the day and relieve him of gas.. Which formula are you using? If you are using regular Enfamil or similac, try swtiching to a more Gentle based formula...In Enfamil you have "gentle ease". But before you make the switch, check with your Paed...

Newborn stage is kind of a guessing game...You just have to go with the flow...As they grow older LO's will sleep better...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  4. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I dont know much but I can say is consult the pediatrician ..