1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Long Lost Friend

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Long Lost Friend

Yesterday was a special day in my life.I met a dear friend after a gap of 10 years.We hugged each other,and covered up a lot of ground.

Lets Call him Pramod.i met Pramod 12 years back,when i was a big exporter,and he had come to me for some stitching work.He had 20 machines,and needed work,and i have plenty of work to give to him and many others.I took a liking to him,and soon we became friends.Most Fabricators(people who take our garments for stitching) are uneducated,and Pramod was an MBA, from a very good family.His work was good,rates reasonable.His ambition was to be an exporter,and he told me so.

I helped with whatever i could,guiding him with the export registrations,and advising him to attend Garment fairs,giving him my samples to display,and taking him around town,making him meet other suppliers,in short i was doing all i could.Lady luck smiled on him,and soon he was on his way.Good orders flowed in,and he got going from a rented place.

But soon money got to his head,as did Ego.He said something to me one day,which hurt me a lot,and I told him that from this day,I will not see you ever again and walked off, never to see and meet him for the next 10 years.In between i kept hearing about his progress from our common suppliers and businessmen,and he progressed very well.

Last year, my daughter got married,and I debated for many days,whether i should break the ice and go and invite him for the wedding,as these are such occassions,where i felt why keep an ego.But I felt he may misunderstand my intentions,thinking that now i have become a big person,and Kamal is now out to woo me.This thought kept me back,and I did not invite him.

Last Week,a common supplier of us,calls me and says pramodji wants yr number and wishes to speak to you,shall I give him your Telephone no.Thinking for a few seconds,I said yes,not a problem.After about 10 minutes Pramod calls me, and apologises profusely for the misunderstanding between us,and says it was his fault,and can we make up and meet.I told him,no probs, since you have said sorry,lets forget the matter and meet.

But his busy schdule did not permit him,as he was attending Garment Fairs all over the world,and yesterday we met at his office.We hugged each other,holding back our Tears.A lot of water had flown under the bridge,and we sat a few hours catching up on family and other matters.

I have more or less retired from business,while he has zoomed to be one of the top 5 Garment exporters of Jaipur(from a total of 2000 exporters),having astaff of 200 plus,his own 30,000 sq feet office building,and a fleet of cars,the top of the line.When God smiles,he literally rains money on you.

Im glad the past is behind us,and hope our friendship lasts for many many more years.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

dear kamalji,

i could feel the happiness of yours when you met your friend after 10 years, that too with some misunderstandings........................some times i feel is it because of the human instincts ????.........we miss out so many good things around us .............now i was just thinking the dialogue in Om Shanthi Om, "sacche dil se maango, ............."
    when we really want something, we get it.................friendship is one where we should never have any egos........but as humans, it is somewhere in every heart...........
    anyhow its nice that you have met your friend after 10 years............

love
    padma

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Padma,

Money does strange things to people.Gives them ego,and false pride,and one thinks no end of oneself.But alls well that ends well.Thanks for yr kind comments.Regards.kamal

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Kamlaji,
    Nice to hear that you both kept the past behind you guys and moved on..

That is the spirit, we need to avoid any grudge, or may be called an ego, which spoils the present and future lives...

sriniketan

5. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Kamalji,

Friendship is a very sweet thing.....Each and every friendship makes us feel new...So does this long lost....

I don't have the age at all to bless you. But, I believe, a kind heart has all the rights to bless even the elders. I wish you are blessed with your friend, Pramod, forever.

I like your, so simple by look but so great by meaning, writeups.

Regards,
    Oviya.

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

Thanks for yr good wishes.Yes ego is one thing that can destroy decades of friendship in one go.Regards.kamal

7. lathamohan

lathamohan Bronze IL'ite

kamalji,
    past is past, kuch batein bhool jana hi acha hai. Hope u both have good days ahead, enjoy.......

wishes,
    latha

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Latha,

Agreed.I dont brood over the past.And some things are best forgotton.Regards.kamal

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

Friendship is the best thing that can happen to us. I and veda believe more in friends than relatives also.

We try to keep in touch with friends. Sometimes, it just clicks. even if you talk to them after a year or two you can still continue from there. maybe that is the success.

Like any other relationship, friendship needs to be nutured.

We have common friends. but the best part is veda's collegemate, articles, cricket team, ex-colleagues are all my best friends.

10. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamalji

A great post.....nice to know both of you could recover your friendship and let old thoughts flow away.....

to a great friendship.....

warm wishes,

priya.