1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Long Distance Bracelets!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jaishvats, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

I am not a bangle person… but I love bracelets…. I love the way these pieces of jewellery dangle around your wrist….they have a kind of bold feminism about them….Hmmm…Bold Feminism ????? ….Well, if some of you are wondering what exactly I mean by that, then lets say its feminine yet bold and different?

The year I started working my parents got me a gold bracelet for my birthday…My father usually insists on the quality of the jewellery. He would prefer a trusted jeweler with a small shop with minimal designs to the huge multi-storied gold palaces that we have today. Now I am a modern girl….A working modern girl…and a girl who has just stepped out of her teens…..Now will I go with my dad’s opinion? No way!!! I insisted on the new super sensation in the city….My poor dad had to relent….That was my first gold bracelet….And it lasted three weeks….I was traveling in the bus one day when it split into two and fell on the ground…..
    ”Now this is what I was telling about these modern stores.” You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who would have said that….Well this time we went to our dear trusted jeweler and he somehow had one bracelet in the design of my dreams….so we replaced the split one with this one…Around this time I had to go to the US and the bracelet happily swung on my wrist during my journey…After a few months when I was about to return home the whole team went skiing…Which idiot would wear a gold bracelet while skiing? I unfortunately belong to that league of extraordinary idiots and so I wore or rather failed to remove it when we went skiing…And Boy!!! We had amazing fun…. I fell nearly 30 times in my attempts to ski and another 30 times during amateur skiing ….End of it as we relaxed cracking jokes I realized that the design of my dreams was missing…..now searching for a needle in a haystack should be easier than searching for this 10 cm piece of gold in mounds of artificial snow where hundreds of people keep skiing……I did call up their Lost N Found section in a couple of days….The guy had the other end said “Hold On”…and then took the call again after around five minutes…And then asked me the bracelet’s description….Immediately I formed this picture in my mind ‘An American guy in a green and orange uniform with a cap holding my bracelet and answering my call’….I was expecting a “We found it Ma’m”….but like it happens in Walt Disney Cartoons somebody burst the balloon of my imagination with a pin and the guy answered ….”Sorry ma’m we did not find anything like that”…I even did some investigative work going through the hundreds of digital snaps we had clicked and trying to figure out the exact place where I had lost it…..The Sherlock Holmes in me also failed miserably…So I returned to India without the bracelet ….
    In a few months I got married and got another gold bracelet for my wedding….I wore it very occasionally…One day we decided to go shopping ….That morning my ring had fallen into the washing machine when I was putting the clothes….but luckily I found it later, washed and rinsed…That should have clearly told me the horoscope for the day “Cancer – Loss of Gold”….Who can beat my horoscope…So I still wore this gold bracelet for shopping…We would have gone to ten shops and walked a lot on the roads of Chennai when I suddenly realized that my bracelet was missing…It had fallen down somewhere…..And how many Indian Harischandras do we have today who would search for the rightful owner if they found a bracelet on the road…Whoever had found it would have belonged to the “Taurus – Strike Gold” horoscope….well our efforts to find it were in vain…

From then I decided to stick to the good old imitation bracelets…they are colorful, beautiful and less risky….Alas!! I could not bask in that happiness for long…Now my toddler wastes no time in grabbing hold of my bracelet and snapping it into two or more pieces whenever I wear one….so its bangle or bare hand now….

Like elders say “It’s a long distance between me and bracelets”
    shakehead

2. mspk1978

mspk1978 New IL'ite

Hi Jaishvats,
    I am a new member and silent reader of IL for few months now.But when I saw ur blog abt bracelets, its as if you took a few cells off my brain and transformed into words. Kuddos to u for expressing the feel ,the bracelet brings " bold and confident, yet faministic". I lost my favourite one last winter , wearing and removing the sick gloves :(

3. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

i couldnt help laughing at " Taurus - strike gold" :)

good one! :)

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Jaishvats,

Welcome to il.,this being my first post to you.

You write so well. I enjoyed the whole narration laced with humor.