Locally Available Food Cooked With Indian Touch.

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Neelaa, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Taking out Chinese ? :tonguewink:
    I know one son who went with mummy to a pot luck gathering. And he was quite impressed with many of the dishes, as it were. When I pointed out that almost all of them are married with kid(s), he counterpointed that he could just be a gourmand-toyboy, have an already broken-in mate, while the ex would pay child-support. Mum gave him a slap and sent him away to where the men were gathered, likely to find out if the potential-ex is financially savvy to maintain his chef-love-interest into the future.

This story could be a caution to all those husbands in hubris, with cutesy wives who can cook and present innovations with desi flavors.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I realized that I ought to make amends for some of the above side-tracks, and bring the posts to topic:

The following is a Gongura plant, well known to Andhras in some signature dishes of the region. It is always found in hot-oily pickles
    [​IMG]

If you wore an imprint of one of those leaves on your T-shirt, nobody would think of pickles in America, and even in Andhra.

Hibiscus (also known as "Indian Hemp") and Gongura are from the same botanical genus.

Pretty soon, we might see head shops selling hot-oily pickles of the leaves that have been made a recreational thing in America. :facepalm:

nandinimithun and shravs3 like this.
  3. Neelaa

Neelaa Bronze IL'ite

@Amulet, thanks for sharing the apple thokku/jam receipe. Sound yummy Have tried this one? Do we have to use green apple?

4. Neelaa

Neelaa Bronze IL'ite

@shravs3 , thanks for sharing the receipe list. Avacado chapathi, haven't heard before. I will definitely try it out. Thanks again.

shravs3 likes this.
  5. Neelaa

Neelaa Bronze IL'ite

Substitute English squash instead of carrot in carrot halwa receipe. Tastes yummy.

Aspagarus poriyal.
    1. Remove unwanted part from the bunch and apagarus into small pieces.
    2. Cut one onion into small pieces.
    3. In a pan, heat a tablespoon of oil, add muturd, jeera, chilli flakes, Hing powder and fry the onion for one minute.
    4.add apagarus, chilli powder as per taste, turmeric powder, salt and saute till raw smell goes off.
    5.Sprinkle some water and cook on medium flame.
    6. Add some pepper powder before removing from the stove.

Tastes good with sambar rice, rasam or curd rice. Replace aspagarus for any Indian vegetable poriyal .

shravs3 likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

No "have to" compulsions in adapting foreign vegetables to desi tastes.
    Unripe apples (not necessarily "green") provide that sour tanginess that suits a hot-oily pickles the best. However, it it is a little ripe, it does not matter at all. The pickle ingredients will overwhelm that, and still give you something that you can eat with rice-yoghurt, or roti. shravs3's long list has the right idea -- pretty much anything can be adapted.

Neelaa likes this.
  7. Bellas

Bellas New IL'ite

Perhaps this is true, but I know a lot of examples where the family ties are close together and the pair are created directly within the same nationality. Some even for this purpose, start accounts in social networks and dating sites. My friend personally registered at meetville and met a pretty good girl there. By the way, she had just recently invited us to dinner. Some of the dishes I have already watched on the basis here.