1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

LO suddenly refusing breastmilk and formula!!

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by mridusudha, May 29, 2010.

1. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Since this morning LO has been refusing his bottle.

This morning when he woke up @ 7:15AM I gave him his usual 6oz bottle(formula). He drank only 3 Oz and refused the remaning which is totally unusual..He had his usual breakfast @ 8:30AM. He usually takes another bottle 5-6Oz when he wakes up after his first nap...Totally refused that bottle (breast milk) instead he ate 6 Oz of food (@ 12 Noon). He normally eats only about 4 Oz...So I offered him his bottle after 2.5hrs (@ 2:30PM) of having his food. He totally refused even that..Somehow I managed to make him drink 3 Oz ...Woke up @ 4:15PM and ate around 4.5 ounces of strawberry yogurt...I didn't feed him dinner hoping that he will take his bottle but he totally refused it and went to bed @ 7:30PM...

I don't understand why he is refusing his bottle...He has never done it....He is not pulling his ears though so I guess ear infection is ruled out or could it be the beginning of an ear infection???

Anybody know why??

BTW, he is giong to be 10 months this 31st.

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sudha, my baby has been doing the same, she wld be 8 months soon... but i have failed to understand why.
    she doesnt drink that much from a bottle though,normally around 5 oz, but since 2 days she is only taking 2 oz each time.

its weird last few weeks i have been trying to breastfeed her and she totally refuses ,so me and DH thought we should put her on formula,atleast that way somehow she will take milk.

but last 2 days she hardly drinks BM when latched, say for 3-4 mins, and hardly formula. we thought maybe we are giving her too much solid food, so i cut down the amount, she would starve but she wont drink milk.

today she had a little loose stools, along with some solid stools, she has been cranky, chewing on everything, biting my fingers hard. i am not sure whether she is teething, coz i dunno how teething in babies is!

she has been refusing milk for 2 days, hope this milk strike stops.

however she nurses full stomach 1ce while going to sleep, and 2ce at night...so i am sort of little less worried.

just hang in there.... they change so fast anyway!

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Thanks Poonam..
    Last night he woke up at 9:30 and drank the whole 6oz bottle..

Even DS is taking more solids and less of milk...He cut down from 4 bottles a day to 3 bottles and eating little bit more solids...And for the past 3-4 nights he has been sleeping through the night without a feeding...I guess the solids are helping him sleep better...I hope he continues to sleep through the night :).
    But it is so hard to predict...The moment I think some thing has been set he changes it pretty quickly :spin..

BTW, when my DS is teething he drinks more milk and eats less solids...He already got 7 teeth and he is a biter:spin

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sudha,so we happened to find out wat the problem was, she has been struck with GI infection.. hence the refusal :), but yesterday since she had diarrhoea, she fed unusually more number of times. babies r smart i guess