1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Living in LA or Southern CA - What is it like?

Discussion in 'Indians in Los Angeles' started by Emal, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Emal

Emal Senior IL'ite

Hi IL's,

I wanted to know how is it like living in Southern CA - LA, San Diego, Irvine.
    My husband is interested in moving over there but we are too worried about the expense we would have to put up. Could you please guide me with the below?

1. How much do decent homes cost ?
    2. Can a Family survive with one salary ? 90 to 100K
    3. How much does renting cost ?
    4. Will we be able to save for our kids education with one salary living in CA ?
    5. Indian Community ?
    6. Commute - How is it traveling to LA, or in San Diego ?

My husband has got interviews from very good companies over there. But I am too worried to move to CA since I am not clear on the above but at the same time do not want him to loose up on the opportunities he is getting.

Please suggest. Look forward to your response.

PS: I also wanna know about Northern CA but I guess I would need to post under th BAY area thread.

Thanks,
    Emerald.

2. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Emerald,

Living in So cal is like almost living in India. the climate is absolutely great as if In India. Regarding the rent , it depends on the range of 1000 - 1300 for a 700 sq.ft single bed room apartment. Theres a lot of Indian community in regions from LA to San Diego. Starting from LA, Long beach, Artesia, Torrance, Irvine , Orange County uptil San diego, you need not worry about the Indian community here.

A normal expenditure of 2500 - 2850 per month is the estimated monthly expenditure for a family with 2 adults and 1 kid.

School district, is basically good, but do check the ratings to opt for the best school. Apart from that there a a few hindu temples , lots of Indian restaurants, Indian groceries are available.

3. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

If you tell us where exactly you want to live, we might be able to give you options.
    For a family of 3, you can live with any kindaf budget in SoCal. It all depends on the area/school district.