1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Living in Bay Area - how is it like ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by Emal, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Emal

Emal Senior IL'ite

Hi IL's,

I wanted to know how is it like living in Northern CA - San Fransisco, etc.
    My husband is interested in moving over there but we are too worried about the expense we would have to put up. Could you please guide me with the below?

1. How much do decent homes cost ?
    2. Can a Family survive with one salary ? 90 to 100K
    3. How much does renting cost ?
    4. Will we be able to save for our kids education with one salary living in CA ?
    5. Indian Community ?
    6. Commute ?
    7. If the work is in San Fransisco then which area to live - rent or buy a home ?

Please suggest. Look forward to your response.

Thanks,
    Emerald.

2. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

Hi Emerald,

I have been in bay area for the past 10 years. we've lived in sunnyvale, cupertino and recently moved to Dublin. I can throw some light based on my experience.

1. Apartment rent depends on rmainly on school district. one bedroom could easily cost you from 2100 -2300 and two bedroom 2600+ and this might go up if you are in a good school district.

2. Yes. Family can survive very well with one salary as mentioned.
    3. If you are planning to settle here permanently then the best thing to do is not invest in India but the income and buy a home here as soon you have enough money for the down payment, coz renting is expensive in the long run and all that money is gone forever, but if you buy home you do get some additional tax benefits which would would work out cheaper than renting. (we did that mistake of investing in India and renting here for 10 yrs and that cost us a lot with double taxing etc) Again homes price ranges depend on locality. you can be looking at low 500 K to 1+ million.

3. Yes u can save for children's education. (education in public school is free and you can plan save for their college.)

4. Lot of Indian population in Bay area. Especial the places I have lived more than 70% is desi community. You will never feel out of place.

5. Commute can be anywhere from 45 mins to 1 hour. there are lots of public transport available especially if your husband is going to be working in San Francisco. you can rent in Mountain veiw, sunnyvale, cupertino, santa clara / or east bay: dublin, pleasanton , san ramon, etc..

I have provided you the information based on my limited knowledge w.r.t areas. you might have more options too.