1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Live In Relationships

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by Star25, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

One of my close friends was asking me about the live in relationships since her marital like has gotten highly complicated..shes also sailing in the same boat as me but my marital issue seems to be slightly better than hers ..I'm posting this on behalf of her since I too didn't have any idea on live -in and couldn't explain her..so wanted to ask you friends. She wants to go for livein after her divorce but wants to know about it before going for divorce since she doesn't want to remarry..so please share the pros and cons of live in relationships ..she only wants an emotional support from a guy not looking for sexual relationship also.. Just someone to talk and share,to go out with.. Shes skeptical about connecting with guys in dating websites since they may not be genuine in character.. So please share if you have any idea on live in and also how to find a guy for emotional support..thanks in advance.

VidhyaVi likes this.

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

I do not have any personal experiences but as per my belief I can say few things:

For divorce she is thinking twice as this is a long process and it will separate you from the society of married people. But in live-in you already living differently so while separation one can easily come out which give less security and trust on other. One can emotionally depend on other only if they have the trust and secured relationship that cannot be breakdown easily.

No man can give emotional support without getting involved physically. Its not easy to avoid.

I think there can be lots of depression in leaving an unsuccessful marriage and shifting to insecure relationship.

If she is not happy in marriage she can go for counseling and try to adjust if possible or can leave him and live alone and remarry again after sometime. I personally do not find livein a better option.

VidhyaVi, Sweety82, shravs3 and 2 others like this.
  3. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

@messedup : Thanks for the reply dear..my friend is second married actually..this marriage also doesn't seem to work that's why she is more concerned.. she doesn't feel secure with her hubby so she is staying separately from him already for the past 2 yrs ,I guess, but hasn't got any legal advice. She is scared about her future after her parents.. So she asked me if live- in is a good option since she feels that's the only option left for her.. But as you say may be she won't be able to get that emotional support that she expects.

4. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Dear Op
    If you cannot trust marriage where a sort of compulsory commitment exists, what can be said about a live-in relationship. It' too fragile. And as messedup has summarised it well, a man will most probably be involved physically if he was to give a good emotional support to a woman.
    It's better to remarry and get in to a trusted relationship than to wander.
    Sorry for the negative reply.

Star25 likes this.
  5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

The fantasy of having a live-in relationship for emotional support, is a fantasy and not real. Partners cannot give that type of support without further commitment. Let's be honest, for a man, giving physical support is easier than emotional support - in fact, it's one of the ways that they express it.

I think your friend should embrace independence and live alone (or with a roommate), and the only get involved with someone, when she is ready. I feel like she will get hurt, if she commits to a live-in relationship, and finds the man "straying".

If both parties are against marriage, but want the committed relationship- then, I can see a live-in situation working.

nolife, vijai86, NeetaR and 5 others like this.
  6. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

What exactly is the reason her marriages dint work..??

Star25 likes this.
  7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

“Live in” relationship refers to two people living under the same roof, to my understanding. I do have a few friends who are “living in” together. It would probably be a one in a million chance to find partners (guy or gal) who are not interested physically but are still vested in emotionally, in a relationship n living in together, I dono how that’s possible until unless it’s purely a platonic friendship, not a relationship.

I can understand your friend’s reluctance to divorce n marry for the third time, it’s normal. It would probably be good for her to not rush into another relationship n focus on herself for a while.

She can look at online / phone, long distance relationships if she’s looking for emotional attention, it may take sometime to find a match or a genuine virtual relationship but can keep her away from physical relationships.

Or she can still have a normal relationship, emotional, physical or whatever she’s comfortable with, without rushing into another marriage, I know of friends dating steadily, happily for 7 years n all, so she can go for a long term relationship instead of “marriage”.

shravs3 and Star25 like this.
  8. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

@CoolPie : Yes very true that marriage is a compulsory commitment if that itself doesn't work can't rely on live-in. But my friend is scared to get into marriage since this is actually her second marriage. Her husband is impotent, has abused and harassed her too to cover it up and she has gone through so much mental torture ..Despite going thru all this also she has tried to make things work after which she had lost all hopes she said. Although she's married she is staying separately and no communication with her husband and no one for emotional support.. So she feels in the long run to at least divorce him and look for someone to get at least that emotional connect..

9. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

Her husband is very short tempered and lot of misunderstandings has been going through with them it seems so she wanted to have a kid at least to divert her focus.. But that also didn't work since he was impotent and has tortured and harassed her more to cover things up she said..so she neither got the sexual satisfaction nor the emotional support.

10. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

@ashneys : Thanks dear for the detailed reply..i too feel that she needs some time to think for herself before she takes any decision..but the thing is she has that longing to be loved or to connect with a guy and I can see that and feel sad for her because she's very pretty and very talented and all but got trapped in her marriage..she wants to connect with some guy at least to share her feelings ..i can see that she feels lonely..i try to talk to whenever I could but definitely can't match the guy girl relationship for sure that shes longing for.