1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

List of things to get when moving out for first time...

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by breeze01, Mar 19, 2015.

1. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

me and my husband are planning out to move out for the very first time along with my 3 yr old son..finally we made our decision to move to apartments near by my parents house so in case we need some help we know they will be there..

But one thing thats bothering me is what all the kitchen items or other things we need to buy to settle down quickly as we dont have that many holidays.as per the bed room set we have all the needed things in there... i am concerned about the kitchen items utensils,little minnie things thats needs to be taken care of so we dont have to worry about doing cooking i am planning on cooking healthy food so any kitchen items related to that would be appreciated... non stick pans best one.. stainless steel items.. lot of things to buy.......... and also please let me know which kind of pans will be advisable to cook most of indian dishes.. and we do thadka most of the time so it doesnt get burned up....and mainly living room accessories we thinking cute sofa set with tv & stand.. its going to be one bed room cute apartment.. we want to have it set up cute and neat...

i know all the ladies here moved out to far places lot of times... so please give me your advices..... and ideas...

i know i am posting it at wrong place but i didnt get no reply at the other place thatswhy posting it here.. Admin please move it later on

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Try these, based on what my essential list is:

kitchen:
    cuttlery set
    plates (dinner and salad)
    cooking pots (depending on how much you are willing to spend)
    pans
    knives set
    chopping board
    drinking tumblers
    ladles
    pressure cooker
    mixer grinder
    toaster
    kettle
    coffee mugs
    kitchen towels
    all the cleaning products

living room:
    go with wall mount TV. That saves soace
    coffee table
    some accessories according to taste
    living room set (love seat/ recliner etc depending on space)
    curtains I guess or blinds

thats all I can think of. Good luck breeze

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Oh by the way, I use TFAL for non stick dishes and Wilton for baking dishes. Farberware for knives.

1 person likes this.
  4. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Dear op,

Buy basics ,take your mom to do the basic kitchen stuff shopping.Buy minimum and you could add things as the need arises.Be careful not to over buy as its waste of money and waste of space.When buying furniture calculate the available space before you go shopping and also consider the practicality of maintaining it with kids(changable covers , light colors or sharp edges).Where furnitures are concerned less is more--go for vertical non-space occupying stuff.Move in before you start buying extra storage furnitures when and as needed.

Kitchen articles ;

1.serving options--plate,spoon,ladles,serving bowls,hot packs,tumblers,cup,trays.......

2.cooking options---stove,lighter,tawa,non-stick pans,small kadai for frying,milk boiler,pressure cooker,metal holder to hold hot stuff,.....
    (if south indian) add --idli cooker,appam pan,panniaram pan,& puttu stand.

3.preparation options---knife,chopping board ,chappati roller&board ,mixie ,grinder,lemon sq,bottle&tin opener,scrapper,peeler,coconut breaker cum slicer,strainer,vessels to clean stuff,broad vessels to do batters,.........

4.fridge options---closed storage containers to store cooked stuff

5.storage options-- whole spices in the big multi utility round box,containers for grains &dals,Masala containers,oil can ,salt & suger pot,a big plastic tub with lid to store all the just now bought stuff,----generally store flours & rarely used masalas in fridge with air tight clips.....................

Hope my suggestions help,

Wishing you loads of fun .

1 person likes this.
  5. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi, Rakhi thank you so much for your quick reply as always..now i can narrow down the things i need to buy in order...

i am also thinking about the wall mount tv... that could save a space and it can be saved from my naughty son...

giving me the brand names helps me to find the things easily... keep posting it if you find any later on..... thanks once again..

6. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

pear, very good explanation of each and everything i will look into this and get the things started.. yes i guess its better to take my mom along and do shopping.. it will be fun... kitchen item shopping..

have to make sure i dont over buy things... so making a list itself would be better right..whenever i see the kitchen related items i go crazy thinking to buy thinking this and that.. dont want to upset my husband over this.. hahahaa.

furniture thatswhat i am thinking i dont want to get sharp once...

whole spice round box thatswhat i forgot to get from india last year.. need to go around indian stores to buy it.. see if i can find it in amazon.. something new kind.
    thanks a lot... for your suggestions.. keep posting if you feel like it would help....

1 person likes this.
  7. Rakhii

Breeze, mine is samsung 51 inch. I can get you the model number if you want. These days, smart TV's are in. You can check that out as well.

Mind you, we didnt furnish the whole house at once. Neither of us believe in any small debts with the exception of mortgage. So, we furnished one room at a time. We started with bedroom set then proceeded to living room followed by guest rooms and dining room. We had a cheap futon from IKEA for about a year before we bought a proper couch etc. Also, think about the room decor.

1 person likes this.
  8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Wall mount TV certainly saves space, but since you are moving into a rental, I would check with the apartment rental office as to whether or not you can drill holes into the wall to mount a TV.

Other than that most else has been covered. For good quality, and not so expensive kitchen and dining stuff, I would go to IKEA (if there is one near you). For groceries (you will need that) talk to your mother, write a list and go to the Indian store and pick everything up at one shot. But the 4lb bags of the dals, and small packets of spices.

1 person likes this.
  9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Milk boiling is unnecessary here and hot packs probably not needed either. Think about your style of cooking and it will be easier. Toaster? Microwave? Don't buy cheap cutlery....go for set for eight when it comes on sale in better stores or at outlet store.

1 person likes this.
  10. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi, tvs i let my brother handle it as he is into all those things... yes thatswhat i am telling my husband we cant buy all things at once so have to buy it one after the other.. he will know once we move out... thanks for idea... its better to do one after the other... room decor i am gathering the ideas...