Lingua Franca

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Malavika81, Apr 22, 2010.

1. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Malavika,
    They look the same, because they come from the same script. Like hindi, marathi come from the devanagari script. There is a difference in pronunciation, dialect and meaning - and that’s how people differentiate. Also, in written forms - the usage differs. Like french and english share the same letters, but people do differentiate between lines of text in these two languages - provided one is aware of the language. It works the same way here as well. The alphabets are not exactly the same as well. They are similar, but not exact. And some accents, or groove's are used to differentiate as well.To me, I do not understand text written in any of these two languages, and would probably find them similar.

Arch

2. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

No, that is not what I meant. He typed a word (I am assuming they are words in the respective languages) in 3 different languages out of which the Tamil one seems to have the characters different but if you notice the hieroglyphics on the other two, all the 6 in one and all the 5 in the other look exactly the same.

3. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

There are just three characters in each. It is తె లు గు and ಕ ನ್ನ ಡ. Only 3 characters in each, and not 5 or 6. Agreed that they are very similar looking, but looking close you are sure to find differences. Is it not the same with "gardons" and "garden"! While the former is french, the latter is english. Someone who does not know neither of these is bound to say that letters g, a, r, d, n are exact and it is tough to find if it is english or french thats written!

As I told you, they are from the same script and no, it is not batty - even if I dont understand it. Probably, you have not come across written mandarin!

Arch

4. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I've seen Mandarin and Japanese characters and they look distinct visually. One character doesn't look the same as the other. But with these two, I cannot tell any difference because they look the same. The Tamil one has characters which look different (atleast visually for me).

5. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

No, the case was not on comparison. On being batty - I think mandarin races telegu. I dont know either of them, so to me both are just images, and not letters. Well, similar and exact are not the same. These are similar, and not exact. French and English are mostly exact! Explains, why I could learn french in 2 years, and not telegu in almost 15 years of having more exposure to it. I have a feeling this thread is slowly digressing into a discussion over languages. Hence, stopping here!

Cheers,
    Arch

6. devapriya

devapriya IL Hall of Fame

Malvi... why spidey like fellows are entering in between... only for your kind help..:rotfl
    but almost you are right... meanwhile think about the people who only knows their local language... certainly, they too need their entertainment na...